Prospect Info: Oliver Kapanen, RHC, KalPa U20 (U20 SM-sarja), 64th Overall

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
shot him up the prospect rankings but it seems like it was premature.

for some, I have never been a big believer in his offensive game but I do like that he's gotten quicker and is getting more TOI. We'll see what happens, he can go on a tear at some point, it should even it's self out as I never thought he would be close to a ppg as some in this thread had hoped. That said I only saw 1 game so far and he was solid.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
1 point in 8 games is not a great start considering most guys play about 50 games a year in Liiga. He's nearly 20% through the season already. He had a pretty abysmal start last year too and only really turned it on in the last couple of months. His strong finish shot him up the prospect rankings but it seems like it was premature.

Or........the people calling him a bust last season are acting prematurely again this season.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
for some, I have never been a big believer in his offensive game but I do like that he's gotten quicker and is getting more TOI. We'll see what happens, he can go on a tear at some point, it should even it's self out as I never thought he would be close to a ppg as some in this thread had hoped. That said I only saw 1 game so far and he was solid.
Would be nice if he got that shot going. I remember highlights in his draft year showing he had a damn good one.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Or........the people calling him a bust last season are acting prematurely again this season.
Yeah maybe, but I wouldn't bet money on it. I've seen this song and dance a thousand times at this point. I had this optimism in the 00's and 10's but I extrapolate on results now. He had a pretty bad playoffs after his late season resurgence and has gone right back to non-factor. I think Kapanen is closer to the 25 range than the 10 in our pool. Liiga is a good, not great league so mediocre production doesn't lend confidence.

I am a Habs fan though so I always hope to be wrong about prospects. Kapanen's upside is a third line center so maybe numbers aren't everything (though I've rarely seen future NHLers struggle this badly in other leagues).

Just from the list here Trudeau, Davidson, Norlinder, Primeau, Konyushukov have probably passed him. I'd argue Condotta is too low as well since he didn't look out of place in the actual NHL last year. Norlinder completely redeemed himself, so many Kapanen also has a coach issue.

Reactions: Scintillating10

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
Google translate:

I haven't thought about the coming season, the summer has passed in the woods
bad translation ; it was ; i passed the season in the wood with Summer, having thoughts of cumming .

Or something like that

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Definitely a slow start offensively for Oliver Kapanen. 1 assist through 9 games while getting pretty decent ice time. Could be playing hurt, I’m not sure. Hopefully he picks it up soon. Has anyone been watching his games?

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
Definitely a slow start offensively for Oliver Kapanen. 1 assist through 9 games while getting pretty decent ice time. Could be playing hurt, I’m not sure. Hopefully he picks it up soon. Has anyone been watching his games?

He's a 2nd half player... but that's still pretty bad!

skidcells

May 11, 2023
Kapanen with 2 assists so far. KalPa is up 2-0 on JYP in the 1st period.

He's back at 2C after being 3C since he returned from his injury.
I don’t know what to make of him as a prospect. Clearly he has the floor of a 4th line center. Does he top off as a 3C at best? Is there more offensive upside there for a 2C role? I think at best he’s a 3C which isn’t too bad considering our lack of depth on C

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I don’t know what to make of him as a prospect. Clearly he has the floor of a 4th line center. Does he top off as a 3C at best? Is there more offensive upside there for a 2C role? I think at best he’s a 3C which isn’t too bad considering our lack of depth on C

Same here. I don't know what he'll be if they sign him and bring him over. He might also top out as an AHL player that gets some call ups. I don't know if he's under contract in Liiga next year or if he's free to sign and come over. Montreal does still hold his rights for another year.

Reactions: skidcells

skidcells

May 11, 2023
Same here. I don't know what he'll be if they sign him and bring him over. He might also top out as an AHL player that gets some call ups. I don't know if he's under contract in Liiga next year or if he's free to sign and come over. Montreal does still hold his rights for another year.

And another goal for Kapanen to make it 5-1. 2 goals and 2 assists today.
I figure you have to sign him and see what you considering or lack of depth at C. It’s an issue again this year with all the injuries. If you don’t plan to sign him then apply asset management and trade him in a package for someone you like

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
And another goal for Kapanen to make it 5-1. 2 goals and 2 assists today.
I’m surprised he hasn’t had more goals. He had a pretty sweet shot in his draft year.

Is he in a Ylonen type situation where his team is really bad offensively so his production is pretty abysmal?

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
There's no update on this player?

Is he coming to Laval next year?
He can play another year in Europe and that may be the plan. He just had a four point game which gave him quite the boost. The 12 points in the 26 previous games aren't necessarily "get this guy over here now he has nothing left to prove" level. I will admit I think he is a lock for an ELC now though, as our center depth is non-existent.

That's why the season is long I guess. Several guys who had abysmal starts have turned them around and many hot starters ended up falling down. Norlinder particularly.

I still don't see offensive upside in Kapanen though. He's pacing for nearly the same results as last year. I think he and Beck are fighting for bottom six center spots. I think guys like Kapanen and Tuch are locks to be signed now more because our forward prospect depth is garbage than merit. Otherwise Guindon, Xhekaj, and Rohrer are the only unsigned (NHL or AHL) forward prospects. Harris, Eriksson, Smith and Biondi have a negative chance of being signed.

Reactions: JuJu Mobb

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
He can play another year in Europe and that may be the plan. He just had a four point game which gave him quite the boost. The 12 points in the 26 previous games aren't necessarily "get this guy over here now he has nothing left to prove" level. I will admit I think he is a lock for an ELC now though, as our center depth is non-existent.

That's why the season is long I guess. Several guys who had abysmal starts have turned them around and many hot starters ended up falling down. Norlinder particularly.

I still don't see offensive upside in Kapanen though. He's pacing for nearly the same results as last year. I think he and Beck are fighting for bottom six center spots. I think guys like Kapanen and Tuch are locks to be signed now more because our forward prospect depth is garbage than merit. Otherwise Guindon, Xhekaj, and Rohrer are the only unsigned (NHL or AHL) forward prospects. Harris, Eriksson, Smith and Biondi have a negative chance of being signed.
Never seen him play but should be good 4th liner. His point totals hows he has decent hands. If he good skater usually can mold them into good bottom 6. Defense generally easiest to teach. Best ones can shut down top centers in game.

If he good on faceoffs that is. Important for 4th line center good faceoffs. Because adds penalty kill and defensive zone draws to his arsenal. Also frees up minutes for highly skilled guys to take important offensive zone draws and powerplay draws.

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque

Harris and Eriksson were just drafted, though, but yeah, I don't expect much either.

And I agree about Kapanen and our overall depth of bottom line F prospects, we have more than enough, but another problem of ours is development, so hopefully we'll be able to develop them, no more bottom-sixer we have to trade/overpay for please.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Harris and Eriksson were just drafted, though, but yeah, I don't expect much either.

And I agree about Kapanen and our overall depth of bottom line F prospects, we have more than enough, but another problem of ours is development, so hopefully we'll be able to develop them, no more bottom-sixer we have to trade/overpay for please.
I think with Harris specifically five points as a rookie in the NCAA doesn't leave much hope. He could break out later but at best he'd be signed in 2027.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003

Watching Kapanen you can definitely see the upside as he looks like a player who may thrive more in the North American game than in Europe and I would pay less attention to his stats. He has good size, IQ and can really shoot the puck. His skating has improved from being a pre-draft concern to being a non issue. I think he has a chance to be better than Beck but I like both of them as future 3rd liners and I am not trying to pit one against the other.

Saku K

AKA Saku K.
Jul 28, 2002
3-Rivières, Québec
Visit site
I was a bit worried at his bad start as a forward who plays 17+ minutes per game. I'm glad he is doing much better lately. He is surely gonna join the habs org at some point.

He's destined to be a speedy two-way bottom-6 center who can play the PK and maybe some second wave of the powerplay, depending on his development. The lack of depth at the center prospect position should give him a lot of chances to suceed even if a lot can change at the time he is ready to challenge for a spot.

Ylonen and Heineman weren't exactly world beaters in their respective pro stint in europe before coming over either. You'd rather have linear progress curve than bumps on the road. This year has been full of surprises in the development of our prospects, good and bad.

Last edited:

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Watching Kapanen you can definitely see the upside as he looks like a player who may thrive more in the North American game than in Europe and I would pay less attention to his stats. He has good size, IQ and can really shoot the puck. His skating has improved from being a pre-draft concern to being a non issue. I think he has a chance to be better than Beck but I like both of them as future 3rd liners and I am not trying to pit one against the other.
I am not as high on beck as others. I don't know if there's third line upside to his offense, but we won't know until he plays against men. Evans was far more talented from a puck skills and vision perspective and has struggled to become more than a 3.5c. I think Kapanen could easily displace Beck under the right circumstances. I don't see any locks in our forward pool to be undeniable core members.

It's really difficult to say though because danault never had offensive upside but he plays the right way and has turned it into annual 50 point production. He did also break out at 23-24 years old after doing good but not great in juniors and the AHL.

Reactions: Levard

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017

He is definitely a player that provides much more than his points suggest. He was used in all situations at the WJC and was captain too if I remember correctly. Still you do need to find a way to chip in offensively if you want to be a regular NHLer. I'm curious about how Mysak develops because I always considered them comparable prospects.

Reactions: Estimated_Prophet

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad