Recalled/Assigned: Oleksy Recalled

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
This is good news based on the reports from our baby pens posters. Pouliot-Oleksy could be an interesting bottom pairing. Or he is just a decent number 7.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
Nice. I've been wanting them do this. I know GMJR and HCMS both said they were happy with Cole last game, but I'm hoping he (Oleksy) plays with Pooh tonight.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Probably wont play today, but next game. Makes sense, he and DP were partners. AND CANT BE WORSE THAN COLE!!!!

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Am I the only one that feels like this board is exaggerating how bad Cole is? Just a bit?

Hossa die Waldfee

Oct 29, 2015
I don't hate the guy either. I think after Scuderi was gone, he became the "new" scapegoat on defense

Cole actually was horrible to start the year, but I don't know why people would go crazy after the Buffalo game. Only played ~14min and made no glaring mistakes. I understand people if they are afraid that he goes back to his start of the season form, but Cole always incredibly inconsistent. Maybe we get lucky and it's time again for some highs with him?

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Cole actually was horrible to start the year, but I don't know why people would go crazy after the Buffalo game. Only played ~14min and made no glaring mistakes. I understand people if they are afraid that he goes back to his start of the season form, but Cole always incredibly inconsistent. Maybe we get lucky and it's time again for some highs with him?

I think we need to put things in context. He was playing top pairing minutes with Letang. That set him up to fail. He likely lost some confidence and continued playing poorly once he moved down. He's an overpaid bottom pairing guy and I'd move him to get rid of the contract, but he's a fine 6/7.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
Am I the only one that feels like this board is exaggerating how bad Cole is? Just a bit?

When Cole came out of the lineup, he was BAD. After we picked him up from St. Louis last year, he was pretty darn good.

Cole's confidence got rocked being forced to play big minutes next to Letang to start the season. Let's not forget Letang was a semi garbage fire at that time too.

The guy needed some time to reset himself, and now with Lovejoy out he's got a chance to prove himself again. Lets see which Cole we get this time before dumping the guy. Get him in every game you can before the deadline to see what we've actually got.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Could also be interest in either Cole/Oleksy. Perhaps the Pens want to show off Oleksy or see how he'd do in Cole's spot going forward? :help:

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
Good news. I can't see us going with 5 LHD for long, so there's probably a trade coming, or else he gets in. I do think he stays up as the #7D though, and either nothing happens with our D at the deadline or Cole is shipped out if a RHD comes in.

He won't play tonight sans injury, he didn't make the skate. I'd love for us to get a look at him with DP on this level before the deadline, but prolly won't happen.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
I think we need to put things in context. He was playing top pairing minutes with Letang. That set him up to fail. He likely lost some confidence and continued playing poorly once he moved down. He's an overpaid bottom pairing guy and I'd move him to get rid of the contract, but he's a fine 6/7.

I agree completely. Yes he sucks in the context of being a top pairing guy, but there is negative exaggeration with regard to his abilities to play on a bottom pairing. He's fine as a #6, but he's paid way more than we can afford to pay someone in that role.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I agree completely. Yes he sucks in the context of being a top pairing guy, but there is negative exaggeration with regard to his abilities to play on a bottom pairing. He's fine as a #6, but he's paid way more than we can afford to pay someone in that role.

Yup. He's probably not a great fit with Pouliot either, but I'd have to see more of it to be sure.

Looking back, JR really screwed up last year. Bortz isn't great, but for the money, I'd take him over Cole any day.

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
Fun fact: a few years ago when listening to the baby pens playoff games, I was so confused why the announcer was calling this Aleksey guy by his first name. Then I found out he wasn't Russian and that's his last name.

Anyway I don't hate Cole as much as some, but I'd still like to see Oleksy play a few. Him and Poo have been pretty good.

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA

I thought he was fine against Buffalo.

Personally, I think the problem earlier this season was that he was in over his head as a top pairing defenseman with Letang, and when that didn't work, he ended up paired with Scuderi. And playing with Scuderi can drag any player down....

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
I thought he was fine against Buffalo.

Personally, I think the problem earlier this season was that he was in over his head as a top pairing defenseman with Letang, and when that didn't work, he ended up paired with Scuderi. And playing with Scuderi can drag any player down....

He just hasn't ever looked great here on the left. He looked good in the pre-season paired with Dumo playing on the right, then MJ changed the pairs up pretty much the night before the season started. So Cole was never set up for success this year.

He can handle 3rd pairing duty just fine, I'd just rather see DP on the left and Cole on the right, and not whatever they were doing in the Buffalo game, which seemed like flipping them depending on the zone start.

sf expat71

Nov 10, 2008
Atlantic Ocean
Wonder what the point was to recalling him in the first place?

The only thing I can think is that others aside from Lovejoy were also nursing injuries and they thought they may need someone to step in. The way Olli played last game, maybe it's him? Pure, baseless speculation, I'm not saying we should run with this train of thought or anything.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad