Confirmed Trade: Oleksiak to Pittsburgh for a 2019 4th

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
Not doing all that well huh, As long as Ken Holland doesn't bring him home to Detroit, I'll be happy he likes the Michigan kids.

Last night was just a disaster. Two penalties. Clearly frustrated. He's mirroring the team as a whole. Things dont go their way or they have a slow start and they just drift out of it. Its like they're reliant upon certain players to set the tone (namely Hornqvist). He clearly looks pissed. I'm not sure why Cole was dropped, I dont know anything about what happened behind the scenes, but I think some faces need to change and I'm okay with losing him.

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
Um he has nothing to do with Daley at all. Daley was an established 3/4 defenseman who just straight up didn't jive with what the Hawks were doing. It's a fairly rare occurrence as opposed to a change of scenery helping him out. The Hawks didn't want him and played the money game and suffered with Scuds instead. These players are not alike at all.

I mean, the Pens have shown the ability to get some good out of both kinds (the formerly good D who suddenly "sucks" and the formerly touted youngster who has never put it together and seems to be going nowhere).

Move Cole as part of a larger deal with more players. If Oleksiak works out, then great. If not, call up Corrado and play him on the bottom pair.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
I mean, the Pens have shown the ability to get some good out of both kinds (the formerly good D who suddenly "sucks" and the formerly touted youngster who has never put it together and seems to be going nowhere).

Move Cole as part of a larger deal with more players. If Oleksiak works out, then great. If not, call up Corrado and play him on the bottom pair.

It's certainly worth a shot and they've made good progress with certain guys. I just think it's a little more of a myth than some do though. Other than Niskanen there's Schultz, who was being used incorrectly on a bad team, and Daley like I said was already good.

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
My notes on Oleksiak...

Jamie Oleksiak (LD/RD) - Enormous, mobile defenseman. Oleksiak looks massive on the rink but he skates very well for a player of his size. He can move well in all directions and he can cover a lot of ground with his long, powerful strides. With his strength and leverage, he is a threat to score from well out but he isn't exactly an offensive minded d-man. He is a competent passer, particularly when not pressured. Shows flashes of being able to cross a line or two with the puck. In the offensive zone, he makes simple plays. At the point he is effective - due to reach and lateral skating - at changing the angles of passing and shooting lanes. When he is on RD, he can scoop a puck off the boards to himself and cup it on his forehand while walking the line. Avoiding that backhand board battle while playing his off-side is one of his most valuable skills. Despite his size, he simply doesn't have a mean streak. Even going back to his junior days, most of his fouls are stick fouls...not compete fouls. He is not a noteworthy hitter even when he has the opportunity. Oleksiak is an aloof player with almost no hockey sense. He drifts all over the ice with no regard for his positioning. Sometimes he just gets caught gliding down low when the puck is in the attack zone and when it's turned over it's almost as if an alarm clock has woken him up and he sprints back to his own end. When defending the rush, he is often pulled way outside the dots and all the way to the boards (and still without making a useful hit). For teams that stack two players and try to isolate d-men, playing against Oleksiak is a dream come true. He has never met an isolation play that he hasn't fallen for. Even near his net, when pucks are rattling around near his goalie, he has little to no sense of urgency to pick up players or the puck. He has shown little understanding of the geometry of the rink. Positionally, he has not improved in any meaningful way since being drafted and he doesn't provide nearly enough offense to counteract that.

Role: #7/8 mobile defenseman

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
The Penguins have gotten good returns out of reclamation projects on defense in the past. Cole was once a reclamation project too if you remember, when the Penguins got him straight up for Bortuzzo.

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
Holy mother of god I am happy. Honka is free (well slightly more free). Hitch has done some good things, thinking Oleksiak should play over Honka is not one of them. What to force his hand Nill.

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
I think anything Cole does can be replaced by Oleksiak, to be honest. Cole is a better skater and puck mover than Oleksiak, but it's not like Cole is great at that. For Oleksiak to replace Cole, he needs to kill penalties, play physical and block shots. He can do that.
I hope it works out because I have nothing against Oleksiak himself but if you are hoping for an everyday top 6 D that is not something he is right now.

wannabebluesplayer

Apr 16, 2012
The Penguins have gotten good returns out of reclamation projects on defense in the past. Cole was once a reclamation project too if you remember, when the Penguins got him straight up for Bortuzzo.

I might be in the minority of Blues fans, but I think he was a reclamation because of Hitchcock. I think Cole would have been great under Yeo.

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
My notes on Oleksiak...

Jamie Oleksiak (LD/RD) - Enormous, mobile defenseman. Oleksiak looks massive on the rink but he skates very well for a player of his size. He can move well in all directions and he can cover a lot of ground with his long, powerful strides. With his strength and leverage, he is a threat to score from well out but he isn't exactly an offensive minded d-man. He is a competent passer, particularly when not pressured. Shows flashes of being able to cross a line or two with the puck. In the offensive zone, he makes simple plays. At the point he is effective - due to reach and lateral skating - at changing the angles of passing and shooting lanes. When he is on RD, he can scoop a puck off the boards to himself and cup it on his forehand while walking the line. Avoiding that backhand board battle while playing his off-side is one of his most valuable skills. Despite his size, he simply doesn't have a mean streak. Even going back to his junior days, most of his fouls are stick fouls...not compete fouls. He is not a noteworthy hitter even when he has the opportunity. Oleksiak is an aloof player with almost no hockey sense. He drifts all over the ice with no regard for his positioning. Sometimes he just gets caught gliding down low when the puck is in the attack zone and when it's turned over it's almost as if an alarm clock has woken him up and he sprints back to his own end. When defending the rush, he is often pulled way outside the dots and all the way to the boards (and still without making a useful hit). For teams that stack two players and try to isolate d-men, playing against Oleksiak is a dream come true. He has never met an isolation play that he hasn't fallen for. Even near his net, when pucks are rattling around near his goalie, he has little to no sense of urgency to pick up players or the puck. He has shown little understanding of the geometry of the rink. Positionally, he has not improved in any meaningful way since being drafted and he doesn't provide nearly enough offense to counteract that.

Role: #7/8 mobile defenseman

As someone who watches damn near every stars game I could not disagree more with the bolded. He is really bad at breaking out because he lacks IQ and isnt a good passer

Batrous

May 4, 2016
Is this supposed to be a trade for a roster player for the Penguins? I don't understand the trade of Ian Cole that everyone wants. Who is going to play D for the Penguins? Oleksiak? He's terrible. Has Ian Cole stated he wants a bunch of money or something. I am just super confused. Ian Cole is a good player. Oleksiak is not.

Just remember what happened when the Penguins traded for Justin Schultz. Just because a player is not playing well on one team doesn't mean that another team couldn't potentially utilize that same player in a better manner.

Reactions: Dan Kelly

brighteststars

Feb 11, 2014
Oleksiak is atrocious and if Pitt can make him useful, more power to them. He was the shits in Dal and IMO should not be in the league.

cc

Feb 28, 2002
Pens are really focused on getting size and toughness on the team.

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
As someone who watches damn near every stars game I could not disagree more with the bolded. He is really bad at breaking out because he lacks IQ and isnt a good passer

Yeah, when I re-read that I thought I was a little too easy on his passing ability. Not that I haven't watched him for his entire development, because I was obligated to haha, but I thought that was a little soft on my part...good point.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Is this supposed to be a trade for a roster player for the Penguins? I don't understand the trade of Ian Cole that everyone wants. Who is going to play D for the Penguins? Oleksiak? He's terrible. Has Ian Cole stated he wants a bunch of money or something. I am just super confused. Ian Cole is a good player. Oleksiak is not.

Cole will want to get paid this summer (hard to blame he given he's played a solid role in back to back cup wins), that being said he's really struggled this season and asked for a trade when he was scratched. He's one of the few decent pieces that the Pens can move to shakeup the roster.

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
Oleksiak was and is still a huge bust. Only thing he can do at an NHL level is fight. He's been absolute garbage this season. People say a 4th isn't much to give up, but I'd feel like I'd be overpaying with a 6th.

This is a reinvent trade. Maybe a change of scenery could help Oleksiak. I'd be surprised if he stays up in the NHL. Who knows though... maybe the Pens want to tank this year.

His D in his own zone is shaky at best. Transition skating, lateral movement, and first step are AHL level, but I'll throw him a bone due to the fact that he's 6'7 255. He can lay the body of he can catch his opponent. He may block some shots, but his lane coverage isn't great. He's just sadly not good. Just like Reaves he may play 5-7 min a night and draw 4 penalties. Not a good trade in my books, but who knows, Justin schultz turned it around.

Reactions: Kcb12345

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad