Rumor: Okposo on Trade Block

Status
Not open for further replies.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
"they want to know he's a 1RW. Not sure if they're sold on KO being that."

As I posted previously, that's it in a nutshell.

Isles would be tripping over themselves to sign Okposo and keep him on the 1st line if he would leave $ on the table.

He won't, so we get rumors that they are unhappy with his play in the 7 game Cap series. We get the report that they are just not sold on him as a 1st liner.

Don't think he's a 1st liner? then let's see the 1st liner the isles go out and get.
I'm not talking a prospect, who is several yrs from putting up the points 27 yr old Okposo puts up.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
Isles would be tripping over themselves to sign Okposo and keep him on the 1st line if he would leave $ on the table.

He won't, so we get rumors that they are unhappy with his play in the 7 game Cap series. We get the report that they are just not sold on him as a 1st liner.

Don't think he's a 1st liner? then let's see the 1st liner the isles go out and get.
I'm not talking a prospect, who is several yrs from putting up the points 27 yr old Okposo puts up.

That's a whole lot of speculating right there.

disles1

Jun 5, 2002
Visit site
Ok lets slow it down for the simple ones...the question was not how much Okposo will make. I think whatever Okposo gets, ROR will get more so my question is if we could trade for ROR with Okposo in a package of sorts would you rather have:

Okposo at 6mill per or ROR at 8mill per

Okposo at 8 mill per or ROR at 10 mill per

Okposo at 20 mill per or ROR at 26 mill per

1) would a trade be possible and 2) if so would it be smart for us to make the trade knowing we would have to pay ROR handsomely. With Okposo (a lessor player) but we are still going to have to pay him serious money.

I think we get both :) KO stays /signs this summer to 42-45 mill / 7yr deal ( 6- 6.5per) & we trade for a signed ROR at 7 yrs / 49 mil ( 7 per....Vanek $$ ). Trade is Franz & Griffen for ROR.

Our Top 6 for next year is

Nelson JT KO
Lee ROR Strome

Nelson signs 4/5 yr deal at 4 mil & Lee signs shorter 2/3 yr deal. MDC takes over for Lee if / when Lee leaves in two years. KO signs now at less than what he might get next year because he likes make up of team and possiblity of eye issue/ production going down. Fair for both sides.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
That's a whole lot of speculating right there.

Not really.
I think it was in Staple's question and answer session on twitter a few days ago, where he was asked about Okposo being extended. Staple said it depends on $.

We had heard nothing about the isles being unhappy with Okposo's play in the Cap series, until this contract impasse.

We heard nothing about the isles doubting whether Okposo was a 1st liner, until he refused to budge off his contract demands.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
theres no room for possible improvement?

Of course there is and with the quote that Portzline tweeted from an NHL GM, about plenty of quality players being available on the cheap from cap crunched teams, there is little excuse for Snow not to replace Okposo with an established, nhl player.

No picks or prospects as the key to trading 27 yr old Okposo. Isles are past the point of stockpiling picks/shiny prospects. You have several core players talking about this group pushing for a Stanley Cup.

enigmatic

Fire me please
Jul 7, 2009
nyc
There's not much available right now that would be an improvement over Okposo. Hell, there aren't many options for improvement out there anyway.

i was implying that mgmt may feel strome, MDC, or others may be a better option going forward

not only that, maybe garth simply wants to shore up the defense

enigmatic

Fire me please
Jul 7, 2009
nyc
Of course there is and with the quote that Portzline tweeted from an NHL GM, about plenty of quality players being available on the cheap from cap crunched teams, there is little excuse for Snow not to replace Okposo with an established, nhl player.

No picks or prospects as the key to trading 27 yr old Okposo. Isles are past the point of stockpiling picks/shiny prospects. You have several core players talking about this group pushing for a Stanley Cup.

i agree with this

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
i was implying that mgmt may feel strome, MDC, or others may be a better option going forward

not only that, maybe garth simply wants to shore up the defense

:laugh: Oh man. I hope the isles are not penciling 19 yr old MDC onto the NHL roster.

I'd rather see him come to camp, outplay the competition and actually earn a roster spot.

enigmatic

Fire me please
Jul 7, 2009
nyc
:laugh: Oh man. I hope the isles are not penciling 19 yr old MDC onto the NHL roster.

I'd rather see him come to camp, outplay the competition and actually earn a roster spot.

wasnt saying for next year...

my point is if they see MDC or Strome being the best longterm wing option for JT within 2 years, why pay KO 1st line money for the next 7?

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Thankfully JT IS on the team for the next 4 years (at least). That makes this statement irrelevant.

First JT only has 3 seasons left until UFA...And what I love about him is how he makes those around him better because he creates offense. We've seen it PA Parenteau and Brady Boyes amongst others, but that doesn't mean we should keep them.

Okposo is coming into his 8th full season. For me if he was the solution as to a 1st line RW for Tavares he would have shown it by now. Could he improve and all of a sudden be a 1st line RW in two years? Of course, but it's definitely a red flag he hasn't already and why reward a player on what he MIGHT do. I'd rather pay a guy more for what he's already done.

That is my concern about giving Okposo 6-7M/year for any amount of time regardless if we have JT on the team or not.

Space Herpe

Arch Duke of Raleigh
Aug 29, 2008
First JT only has 3 seasons left until UFA...And what I love about him is how he makes those around him better because he creates offense. We've seen it PA Parenteau and Brady Boyes amongst others, but that doesn't mean we should keep them.

Okposo is coming into his 8th full season. For me if he was the solution as to a 1st line RW for Tavares he would have shown it by now. Could he improve and all of a sudden be a 1st line RW in two years? Of course, but it's definitely a red flag he hasn't already and why reward a player on what he MIGHT do. I'd rather pay a guy more for what he's already done.

That is my concern about giving Okposo 6-7M/year for any amount of time regardless if we have JT on the team or not.

post-26672-I-just-threw-up-in-my-mouth-a-nyZP.gif

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005

It's obvious that smart asset management would be to trade JT this year. His trade value will never be higher. He has a cap-friendly hit and will be the hottest commodity on the market. If Snow had brains he would realize this and look to maximize JT's value. We can get a bucket load of picks and prospects for him that would set us up well for the future. I mean, it's clear that we're not winning the cup in the next year or two anyway. JT will walk and sign with TOR once he's a UFA. Why risk losing him for nothing? The time to trade JT is now I'm afraid.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Why fix what's broken? Okposo's proven he can keep up with JT. It's the LW that needs to be addressed.

I'd agree if the team was actually fixed. The Chicago Blackhawks are fixed. The Islanders haven't won a playoff round in 22 years.

I really wonder where expectations are around here.

The rangers are a TRUE Cup contender and yet they're talking about moving Nash because, despite being one of the best players in the world, he doesn't produce in the playoffs. That's smart GM'ing as you should always be trying to improve.

The Seattle Seahawks went to back to back Super Bowls and still traded for Jimmy Graham this offseason. It's that kind of "always improve" mentality that got them to the Super Bowl in the first place.

Instead the Isles have a "well the coach is already here so let's just bring him back" attitude. Anyone here think you're going to see the Isles in the Cup if they keep operating in that manner?

You can't just sit back and assume that if we just keep the guys together that all of a sudden you'll have a Cup contender. It doesn't work that way....ESPECIALLY when you have a coaching staff that wouldn't know how to develop digital photography much less hockey players.

I think we can all agree that Tavares is a franchise player and one we must keep at any price. At the same time I think it's very telling that we're having a "less filling...tastes great" debate on Okposo's play, especially after all the time he's been given with are true franchise player. For most of us he's proven to be more of a question mark than an answer. That alone should tell you that he's probably not as good as we think he is...Much less worth the 1st line contract a few people have zero problem offering him.

And with the cat out of the bag that he's available, if Snow trades Okposo and he doesn't fetch that much of a return at his current salary that should confirm what Okposo's value is to those who actually get paid to create hockey teams for a living.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
wasnt saying for next year...

my point is if they see MDC or Strome being the best longterm wing option for JT within 2 years, why pay KO 1st line money for the next 7?

MDC is 19 and most observers are saying they do not think he is nhl ready, will be heading back to juniors baring a major showing in training camp. Strome will be a 2nd yr nhler.

How many yrs till MDC or Strome are legitimate nhl 1st liners?
In 3 yrs JT is a ufa. Isles fans scoff at the Toronto media and fans for acting as if they own JT. Well, just because the isles drafted JT, does not mean they have his rights forever.

When JT signed his 6 yr extension about 3-4 yrs ago, he gave Cox from the Toronto Sun an interview, gushing about the isles prospects, saying just wait till they develop. I'm guessing he was not speaking about prospects the isles had not even drafted yet.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002

I think we can all agree that Tavares is a franchise player and one we must keep at any price. At the same time I think it's very telling that we're having a "less filling...tastes great" debate on Okposo's play, especially after all the time he's been given with are true franchise player. For most of us he's proven to be more of a question mark than an answer. That alone should tell you that he's probably not as good as we think he is...Much less worth the 1st line contract a few people have zero problem offering him.

living.

Is that what we are having? I thought we had a contract impasse caused by Okposo's unwillingness to sign another team friendly deal.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
I think it's very telling that we're having a "less filling...tastes great" debate on Okposo's play, especially after all the time he's been given with are true franchise player. For most of us he's proven to be more of a question mark than an answer. That alone should tell you that he's probably not as good as we think he is...Much less worth the 1st line contract a few people have zero problem offering him.

And with the cat out of the bag that he's available, if Snow trades Okposo and he doesn't fetch that much of a return at his current salary that should confirm what Okposo's value is to those who actually get paid to create hockey teams for a living.

Yes, this. Snow can forward every trade return he gets to Kyle's camp and say, "this is your value."

I do not think it is as high as the fanboys state. Kyle has injury woes, consistency woes... There is more to this game that just "but he scorz points!!!!1!!!1".

Kyle does not deserve 7 a year. He deserves high 2nd unit pay allowing us to add a real 1st line wing. If he improves into a true 1st line wing then so be it. The Isles would appear to think the same thing.

enigmatic

Fire me please
Jul 7, 2009
nyc
MDC is 19 and most observers are saying they do not think he is nhl ready, will be heading back to juniors baring a major showing in training camp. Strome will be a 2nd yr nhler.

How many yrs till MDC or Strome are legitimate nhl 1st liners?
In 3 yrs JT is a ufa. Isles fans scoff at the Toronto media and fans for acting as if they own JT. Well, just because the isles drafted JT, does not mean they have his rights forever.

When JT signed his 6 yr extension about 3-4 yrs ago, he gave Cox from the Toronto Sun an interview, gushing about the isles prospects, saying just wait till they develop. I'm guessing he was not speaking about prospects the isles had not even drafted yet.

this is now the 3rd time you have taken a simple comment and spun it into an argument about something i didnt even say

i have said multiple times in this thread that i will be very happy to sign KO to a fair contract....but if he wants 7 million over 7 years and garth doesnt think he is the long term plan on Jt's wing, then...see ya! as periferal pointed out, this will be his 8th nhl season and we have likely seen him at his peak (he will likely stay there for a while longer), which is an inconsistent, frustrating, yet talented fringe 1st liner

we have a glut of talented forwards, so if we are not set on him being out long term 1LW option, lets see what we can get for him....nothing more, nothing less

crasherino

May 9, 2013
Not saying I agree or disagree with this but IMO, IF Okposo gets traded, this is probably the #1 reason why. NOT because he's an upcoming UFA and we're trying to "maximize assets."

Management may feel, for whatever reason, that he's not part of the plan.

Time will tell. At this point, its all just rumors.

Of course its because he's an upcoming FA. They aren't sure whether he's a legit #1 RW AND he's about to become a free agent so they need to **** or get off the pot.

I don't think they' balk at having him at $2.8m/yr as they do now. But unfortunately, that contract is done. Now, its either a) pay him close to $7m/yr b) let him walk after playing a full season next year or c) trade him.

He may not be part of the plan going forward but that's mainly on account of him costing what he will cost.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010

If they can get Hanifin that would be different. That would be on par for trading Kyle for Doughty his draft year regardless of whatever other pieces moved. Outside of getting him though I agree. I don't want number 10 overall for Okposo. We need the player now more than another prospect one or more years from contributing, but then Garth trading our good picks like crazy the past two years I see no reason to worry about that. He isn't going to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad