GDT: Oilers young stars vs Flames young "stars" 5pm MT on YouTube

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Was a bit late to the game, just finished.

Best player on the ice for me was Jones. Also really liked Wells, Mantha, Maksimov and of course Butcher.

Defence as a whole was rock solid, we really **** down the Flames offence. They dominated physically, but we beat them in every other aspect of the game. Nice win.

Agreed on all accounts. I liked Jones before, but it's hard to not get even more excited about him when he plays like that. Actually, our defense as a whole was very impressive and did a good job dictating the game

I was pleased with Yamamoto. He's got wheels and seems pretty good in transition

McMozesmadness

5-14-6-1
Feb 17, 2013
Edmonton, AB
Agreed on all accounts. I liked Jones before, but it's hard to not get even more excited about him when he plays like that. Actually, our defense as a whole was very impressive and did a good job dictating the game

I was pleased with Yamamoto. He's got wheels and seems pretty good in transition

He was buzzing all game, but you could tell his calibration was off just a bit.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I didn't know much about your roster except for Jones, Yamamoto and Bear. I thought the Flames played rather decent for the first 2 periods and then just crapped the bed in the third. We shot a lot more, but you guys were the ones that capitalized on your chances. That 3rd period was embarassing for us. I was not impressed by most of the Flames' squad, only Valimaki, Parsons and Jankowski.

Jankowski should, he's 23
Parsons was hung out to dry in the third, our defense was awful.
Valimaki was probably the most impressive this game.

You guys should really be looking into that Butcher kid, he looks like a solid find. Wells also made some nifty saves, he made me frustrated the whole game.

Overall, your prospects kept their cool after 2 periods and then laid it on the Flames. Again, that third period was unacceptable by us. See you in preseason. I hate losing to you guys.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I didn't know much about your roster except for Jones, Yamamoto and Bear. I thought the Flames played rather decent for the first 2 periods and then just crapped the bed in the third. We shot a lot more, but you guys were the ones that capitalized on your chances. That 3rd period was embarassing for us. I was not impressed by most of the Flames' squad, only Valimaki, Parsons and Jankowski.

Jankowski should, he's 23
Parsons was hung out to dry in the third, our defense was awful.
Valimaki was probably the most impressive this game.

You guys should really be looking into that Butcher kid, he looks like a solid find. Wells also made some nifty saves, he made me frustrated the whole game.

Overall, your prospects kept their cool after 2 periods and then laid it on the Flames. Again, that third period was unacceptable by us. See you in preseason. I hate losing to you guys.

Agreed on Butcher. He's looked impressive at every level and he was the best player on the ice for either team. I hope he gets a couple preseason games. We did sign Braeden Christoffer after a spectacular camp a couple years ago (which doesn't look to be a great move since he's been mostly meh in the AHL) so you never know.

The Maksimov goal was a laser beam but pretty bad all around on the Flames side - all five skaters got caught watching. Pretty even game until the start of the third.

Refreshing to have a non-jerkwad Flames fan stop by.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Agreed on Butcher. He's looked impressive at every level and he was the best player on the ice for either team. I hope he gets a couple preseason games. We did sign Braeden Christoffer after a spectacular camp a couple years ago (which doesn't look to be a great move since he's been mostly meh in the AHL) so you never know.

The Maksimov goal was a laser beam but pretty bad all around on the Flames side - all five skaters got caught watching. Pretty even game until the start of the third.

Refreshing to have a non-jerkwad Flames fan stop by.

All I ask is for the same return. We already get enough flack by the couple of posters that overrate our team/prospects/whatever Flames' related thing and make us look bad.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
I didn't watch the full game, just the first but Safin looked pretty good IMO.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
Just finished watching the game.

Both goalies were quite good.

Jankowski and Foo were very noticeable for the Flames and overall they played much more physical. It was a close couple periods and then the Oilers capitalized in the third. In these games with young guys from different teams the powerplays are never great either.

Maksimov is known to be a pretty hard working player, so it surprised me when I thought I saw him standing around a bit at points. His goal was a beauty of course. Kind of a mixed bag tonight from him.

Paigin was all over the place but not always good. Made some great passes and a few nice defensive plays, but also panicked at points with some bad passing and really suspect decisions. Would have to see him more obviously but not sure he would be trustworthy enough at the NHL level if that's how he usually plays.

Safin didn't impress me much, and neither did Gambardello.

Butcher was better than anyone else on the ice and could have had 5 goals. Unreal.

Yamamoto was fast and shifty, but is remains to be seen if he is going to have the time at the NHL level to do what he does against younger, worse players. I certainly hope so, but he's so small and has a long road ahead of him I fear.

I thought all of Bear, Jones, and Mantha had their moments. I thought Mantha probably had the best game, but who knows. Was fun to see them all do their thing.

McTrashBoat

Show me the deed
Nov 28, 2014
All I ask is for the same return. We already get enough flack by the couple of posters that overrate our team/prospects/whatever Flames' related thing and make us look bad.

I enjoy certain poster's as much as anyone, but I'll also welcome level headed gents *edit* in a good way

edit* though I'll beak here like a mother ****er :D

Last edited:

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

If you're legitimately here to talk hockey and don't be one of the posters you're talking about no one will give you a hard time here. At least I'd hope not.

My one annoyance with tournaments like this is NCAA guys don't participate. Would have liked to get a look at Adam Fox. Undersized offensive D are so hard to get a bead on.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I enjoy certain poster's as much as anyone, but I'll also welcome level headed gents *edit* in a good way

edit* though I'll beak here like a mother ****er :D

Yeah, I'm aware I am in your guys' territory :laugh:

If you're legitimately here to talk hockey and don't be one of the posters you're talking about no one will give you a hard time here. At least I'd hope not.

My one annoyance with tournaments like this is NCAA guys don't participate. Would have liked to get a look at Adam Fox. Undersized offensive D are so hard to get a bead on.

I always wondered that too. What college prospects does Edmonton have? I'm completely unaware of your prospect base.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Yeah, I'm aware I am in your guys' territory :laugh:

I always wondered that too. What college prospects does Edmonton have? I'm completely unaware of your prospect base.

Mostly lower tier guys like McPhee and Brind'Amour though Tyler Vesel had a good season. John Marino has me curious about his upside, but the guy I would most liked to have seen at this tournament is Aapeli Rasanen. I really like his upside and think he'll be a 3C in this league but I'd like to see him against some quasi NHL competition.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Wasn't impressed with Paigin ad much as I thought I'd be. OK but not a stand out.

Jankowski unfortunately looks like an NHLer. 6 years post draft but that bet is turning out. Will be better than yak 100%. Although maybe just a 3c in the future

Gordian Knot

Jul 3, 2016
Our team looked like mixture of towers and midgets. :laugh:
Season has finally started and it is 1-0 against the Flames.
Maksimov impressed me, need to watch rest of the games too.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Every year we have one or two prospects who grab our attention and some pump their tires. As I recall Greg chase had two good games and some suggested he may only need one year in the AHL and he might be ready.

Pinch and pound of salt is needed this time of year

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Wasn't impressed with Paigin ad much as I thought I'd be. OK but not a stand out.

Jankowski unfortunately looks like an NHLer. 6 years post draft but that bet is turning out. Will be better than yak 100%. Although maybe just a 3c in the future
Jankowski turns 24 in a week. If he didn't look good in this tourney there would be a serious problem.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
Just finished watching the game.

Both goalies were quite good.

Jankowski and Foo were very noticeable for the Flames and overall they played much more physical. It was a close couple periods and then the Oilers capitalized in the third. In these games with young guys from different teams the powerplays are never great either.

Maksimov is known to be a pretty hard working player, so it surprised me when I thought I saw him standing around a bit at points. His goal was a beauty of course. Kind of a mixed bag tonight from him.

Paigin was all over the place but not always good. Made some great passes and a few nice defensive plays, but also panicked at points with some bad passing and really suspect decisions. Would have to see him more obviously but not sure he would be trustworthy enough at the NHL level if that's how he usually plays.

Safin didn't impress me much, and neither did Gambardello.

Butcher was better than anyone else on the ice and could have had 5 goals. Unreal.

Yamamoto was fast and shifty, but is remains to be seen if he is going to have the time at the NHL level to do what he does against younger, worse players. I certainly hope so, but he's so small and has a long road ahead of him I fear.

I thought all of Bear, Jones, and Mantha had their moments. I thought Mantha probably had the best game, but who knows. Was fun to see them all do their thing.

Love Maximov in Niagara because we got him cheap in a trade. Love his potential for the Oilers. But the kid is a floater, and needs to work on it.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
Love Maximov in Niagara because we got him cheap in a trade. Love his potential for the Oilers. But the kid is a floater, and needs to work on it.

Interesting that you would say that. Scouting on him I thought was that he was known to be a hard worker, but he absolutely looked to be standing around at points last night.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Interesting that you would say that. Scouting on him I thought was that he was known to be a hard worker, but he absolutely looked to be standing around at points last night.

I wonder if it was more of a case of knowing where to be going on the ice as opposed to not waning to put in the effort to get there. Truth is it was a rookie game of a bunch of kids tossed on the ice for the first time together in a game situation.

Watching the highlights posted he looked very skilled and able to control the puck and play better than most guys on the ice.

Last edited:

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Every year we have one or two prospects who grab our attention and some pump their tires. As I recall Greg chase had two good games and some suggested he may only need one year in the AHL and he might be ready.

Pinch and pound of salt is needed this time of year

Braden Christopher last year ripped this tourny up and got an elc IIRC from it. Flamed out in AHL

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Braden Christopher last year ripped this tourny up and got an elc IIRC from it. Flamed out in AHL

Two years ago for christoffer. He's done nothing in the 2 years since. A good example of why you need to be a bit careful with signing these undrafted standouts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad