GDT: Oilers young stars vs Flames young "stars" 5pm MT on YouTube

bzur

Feb 11, 2007
Don't want spoilers so didn't look through the thread.. anyone know if this will be archived on youtube? I worked until 7 and would love to watch it

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
What was the final score? Pretty surprised they won. Calgary had 4 23 year old full time AHL players dressed.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Far and away Jankowski for the Flames imo. Kid takes a lot of ribbing thanks to Burke's big mouth but he seems to be rounding into a pretty nice player.

He better look nice in this tournament considering how old he is and how much more experience he has playing against older players.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Really liked Mantha, Paigin, Butcher and Maksimov's games. I was a little disappointed in Safin, Giambardella, Bear and Jones' games.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Foo looked pretty damn good for Calgary, if not for us having drafted Puljujarvi and Yamamoto in back to back years I'd be a little choked that we didn't sign him.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Really liked Mantha, Paigin, Butcher and Maksimov's games. I was a little disappointed in Safin, Giambardella, Bear and Jones' games.
What did you like about Paigin? He was the guy I tried to focus on the most and I saw not much to be honest ...
And Jones I thought had a good game. Not disappointing at all imo. Agree on the rest.
He better look nice in this tournament considering how old he is and how much more experience he has playing against older players.
Don't disagree obviously, but I don't mind giving credit where due. He played well. Very well.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
Don't disagree obviously, but I don't mind giving credit where due. He played well. Very well.

He did stand out, but I think his linemates gave him lots of help by setting him up for some open looks where Jankowski could just tee off and shoot. He had a lot of good chemistry going with them.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
Well done lol
Anyone know the actual reason he didn't play? Guy can't be injured again can he?

He's in the latter stages of his recovery from surgery, and it sounds like the Oilers are being extra careful to give him all the time he should need in getting back to 100% (or as close to 100% as his patchwork body can handle after nearly 2 years of being wracked with injury). He's not even remotely on their radar for the NHL club this year, it's all about trying to make his final WHL season a good springboard into his pro career.

kurtcobang

Feb 18, 2007
I believe he's probably okay, but being "over-ripened" with the intention of playing a full year in junior

Ive read this post 10x, it must be going over my head lol...
He was listed in the starting line up in the op that's why I'm confused.

kurtcobang

Feb 18, 2007
He's in the latter stages of his recovery from surgery, and it sounds like the Oilers are being extra careful to give him all the time he should need in getting back to 100% (or as close to 100% as his patchwork body can handle after nearly 2 years of being wracked with injury). He's not even remotely on their radar for the NHL club this year, it's all about trying to make his final WHL season a good springboard into his pro career.

Thanks Digger!
Well hopefully he is over getting hurt now lol

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I'll be watching Butcher pretty closely in Bako this year. Great in the rookie tourney last year, very strong season in the WHL, and very strong start to this tourney. Puck seems to follow him around and that's usually a very good sign.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
What did you like about Paigin? He was the guy I tried to focus on the most and I saw not much to be honest ...
And Jones I thought had a good game. Not disappointing at all imo. Agree on the rest. Don't disagree obviously, but I don't mind giving credit where due. He played well. Very well.

Size, poise, made some good plays.

McMozesmadness

5-14-6-1
Feb 17, 2013
Edmonton, AB
Was a bit late to the game, just finished.

Best player on the ice for me was Jones. Also really liked Wells, Mantha, Maksimov and of course Butcher.

Defence as a whole was rock solid, we really **** down the Flames offence. They dominated physically, but we beat them in every other aspect of the game. Nice win.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Just caught the game on replay. Really liked Jones, he has a real "pro" savvy but I expected this from him. The kid will be an NHLer in some capacity, I always come away impressed with his poise and smarts. Mantha has some real good offensive tools, could be a good PP QB down the line. Paigin made a few really nice passes, one notable cross ice one on a PP that almost led to a goal.

Was disappointed in Gambardella and I don't see anything in Bear. I've had about 10 viewings of him and I don't see much pro potential there, not nearly as dynamic as his WHL numbers show. Doesn't stand out in any way in my viewings. I'm trying real hard to see something in his game that gives me hope that he can be an NHLer and I constantly come away disappointed.

You can see that Yamamoto can really kick it into high gear when he chooses to but it seemed like he was a little cautious in this game.
Maxsimov was noticeable in a good and bad way. Was very active on the forecheck, great shot on the goal but also made a lot of mistakes. Intriguing skillset though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad