Sportsnet: Oilers will not qualify Athanasiou or Benning

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
If the guy ever figures it out that it’s a team game, he can dominate. The most confusing player of his generation. Prior to his draft year he was talked about as a top 5 pick and fell to the 3rd round I think it was.

It’s been the same problem since his junior days. If a player ever needed a sports psychologist it’s him. He will certainly get another chance because if his elite talent but those chances are going to run out.

qwerty

Feb 4, 2007
Calgary
Surprised about Benning. RHD, decent bottom pair guy. Holland has to be big game hunting this Friday.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Benning sucks. This move was obvious, Holland already tried to get him the F off this lineup with the ill-advised Mike Green move. Not to mention there needs to be room for D prospects to get some playing time, can't have a plug like Benning taking up ice time when you could use that ice time to give much needed experience to our prospects. The dude can't make an outlet pass to save his life and skates like he's in midget. But Oilers fans like him cause once a blue moon he'll do a big slapper or big hit, other than that... this dude ain't an NHLer and will be out of the league within 2 years.

AA I was hopeful for when we acquired him, held out hope for most of the season that he'd eventually show that "skill" he's so known for. Then I watched his performance in the play-in round, and everything Det fans said about him became so clear. Dude has zero hockey iq, he overhandles the puck, just isn't very effective.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
I know Oiler fans will blame Holland, but you can't predict covid.

Better not throw good money after bad. They can always sign a cheaper free agent.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
Ability to sign or not sign AA withstanding. AA still ended up being a complete dud. No pandemic affected that scouting report and initial trade.
Fair, but without the pandemic, maybe you get more than a couple games from him and he isnt a complete dud.

Well see how he does next year. If he turns it around, maybe Holland wasn't so stupid? Maybe just unlucky

LMFAO

May 20, 2010
I dont understand not qualifying Benning... he's a good 6th defenseman.

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
Man, remember when Holland offered him 2 years at $1.9MM a year in 2017. Dude could have been coming off a career year with 30 goals as that deal would have expired. Easily could have signed a 5 year + deal for $5MM +. But no, he held out, got a 1 year deal that turned into a 2 year at $3MM.

One of the most boneheaded decisions in hindsight, until we see what Kevin Labanc ends up getting after his 1 year deal.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I know Oiler fans will blame Holland, but you can't predict covid.

Better not throw good money after bad. They can always sign a cheaper free agent.

we’ll likely re-sign Ennis once his leg heals. He was a really good fit.

I don’t love the choice to let AA walk but whatever.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
I think Holland has his eyes on a player or two in free agency that are upgrades on AA. Sucks about the two 2nds but the trade was made before the pandemic so I'm not gonna be mad about it.

Elliotte Friedman just said on TV he wonders if the Oilers take a long look at Jacob Markstrom.

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
Fair, but without the pandemic, maybe you get more than a couple games from him and he isnt a complete dud.

Well see how he does next year. If he turns it around, maybe Holland wasn't so stupid? Maybe just unlucky

Your argument makes no sense...why did he pay 2 2nds in the first place when he had how many years to evaluate the player in Detroit? It's not like the dozen or so games in Edmonton were the first time he saw AA.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
I think Holland has his eyes on a player or two in free agency that are upgrades on AA. Sucks about the two 2nds but the trade was made before the pandemic so I'm not gonna be mad about it.

Elliotte Friedman just said on TV he wonders if the Oilers take a long look at Jacob Markstrom.

Oilers have to be looking for a bonafide starting goaltender.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad