Confirmed with Link: Oilers will buyout Korpikoski

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
Pakarinen is 90x the player Korpse is so whatever.

Man wouldnt it be nice to have Gordon on that fourth line winning draws for us...

We do but his name is Lander. That's about all either were good for. Lander is younger, cheaper, speaks Swedish and has more upside.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Why do people have to pretend Gordon was/is a bad player. He did what he always did in Arizona this year, wins faceoffs and keeps goals out of his net. Gordon was a terrific Oiler, overpaid sure but at the end of the day he would have been a UFA and not a buyout.

The rule outlawing his style of faceoffs certainly hurt his value.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Unless there's something else on the way, I don't get why you'd do this.

1 year left, sure he's overpaid, but it's not like cap space is an issue here. He was at least still serviceable, and would have been fine as the 13th forward.

Perhaps Chai's got a deal lined up, and is wanting the roster spot.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
Good. I had hopes that Korpi could be a good 3rd liner. He ended up being a somewhat serviceable PKer and had some abilities....

unfortunately he didn't seem to have any semblance of skill with the puck or in transition....not really sure how "his game" survived this long.

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
Unless there's something else on the way, I don't get why you'd do this.

1 year left, sure he's overpaid, but it's not like cap space is an issue here. He was at least still serviceable, and would have been fine as the 13th forward.

Perhaps Chai's got a deal lined up, and is wanting the roster spot.

That's my thoughts as well, we aren't hurting for cap space next year. Not sure why we wouldn't just run with him for 1 more year on the 4th line.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
The rule outlawing his style of faceoffs certainly hurt his value.

He was 58%. I also don't think going on your knees has been outlawed yet, but it's coming. Chiarelli just really liked Korpikoski and thought Gordon was overpaid and didn't score enough so he wanted to replace him with Letestu (who i don't mind but is also overpaid).

Asher

Jun 23, 2007
Gregor just made a good point about why this buyout makes no sense. The cap hit is still 500K for this year and 1M for next year. Compare that to 2.5M for one season if they kept him (or even less if they sent him to the minors) and then Korpse is off the books next year. The latter sounds like a much better idea.

Pointteen

Jun 9, 2008
New Brunswick
Gregor just made a good point about why this buyout makes no sense. The cap hit is still 500K for this year and 1M for next year. Compare that to 2.5M for one season if they kept him (or even less if they sent him to the minors) and then Korpse is off the books next year. The latter sounds like a much better idea.

Roster spot. That's all I've got.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

I have no idea what this team is doing anymore. I don't even know why we traded for Korpikoski in the first place, may as well just have kept Gordon and let his contract expire, we'd have a full extra 3 million of cap room.

Asher

Jun 23, 2007
Roster spot. That's all I've got.

Me too, but that still doesn't justify the move. They can't be in such a dire situation that keeping Korpse for one more year (again, it could even be in the minors for a lower cap hit) hurts them.

Pointteen

Jun 9, 2008
New Brunswick
Me too, but that still doesn't justify the move. They can't be in such a dire situation that keeping Korpse for one more year (again, it could even be in the minors for a lower cap hit) hurts them.

Yeah. I don't quite get it. He'd be a decent call up at the least.

sportsdynasty

Mar 31, 2011
www.nhltraderumors.me
Puzzled by this move. I thought Korpse was our best bottom 6 forward last season. He even spent time on the top 6.

This is the same organization that traded their best player yesterday. Seems like they have trouble evaluating their players.

Ol' Jase

Steaming bowls of rich, creamy justice.
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2005
Puzzled by this move. I thought Korpse was our best bottom 6 forward last season. He even spent time on the top 6.

This is the same organization that traded their best player yesterday. Seems like they have trouble evaluating their players.

They traded McDavid yesterday?

sportsdynasty

Mar 31, 2011
www.nhltraderumors.me
Gordon for Korpse was a bad trade. I said so at the time. So this "good move" fixes the bad one of a year ago.

The Oilers won that trade. Korpse had an excellent season with 10 goals and 12 assists. Compare that to Boyd Gordon's season of 2 goals and 2 assists, and we won that trade in a landslide.

Very puzzling move to buyout Korpse after the excellent season he had.

Avenger*

Why did we ever obtain him? Still wondering about that one.

Genius of Chia I guess..:sarcasm:

I wonder what I said about this useless player all along.;)

Because Chiarelli rid the Oilers of an even worse player in the process?

Gordon had an awful season and with the league changing the rules on faceoffs reportedly next year he will be rendered complexly useless moving forward.

Zguy370

Dec 25, 2007
Hope this doesn't effect JP, he still can still hang out with Pakman for one

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I have no idea what this team is doing anymore. I don't even know why we traded for Korpikoski in the first place, may as well just have kept Gordon and let his contract expire, we'd have a full extra 3 million of cap room.

Of course. This. Nobody has responded why simply staying the course didn't make more sense.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Why did we ever obtain him? Still wondering about that one.

Genius of Chia I guess..:sarcasm:

I wonder what I said about this useless player all along.;)

I don't think it had anything to do with his love for Korpse. I think he just didn't think Gordon's body could continue to play through all of those tough minutes and it was a fair point to worry about.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I don't think it had anything to do with his love for Korpse. I think he just didn't think Gordon's body could continue to play through all of those tough minutes and it was a fair point to worry about.

So trade for a player that has looked dead for the last 2 seasons then. I watched a lot of Yotes hockey (because of Gagner) Korpse was the worst player on that club the year Chia signed him. Chia could deal for any bottomsix player, picks korpse:help:

Ol' Jase

Steaming bowls of rich, creamy justice.
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2005
So trade for a player that has looked dead for the last 2 seasons then. I watched a lot of Yotes hockey (because of Gagner) Korpse was the worst player on that club the year Chia signed him. Chia could deal for any bottomsix player, picks korpse:help:

And signed Letestu to a full value deal to replace Gordon.

I'm just puzzled by this because Korpikoski wasn't bad enough this past season to earn a buyout, IMO.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
And signed Letestu to a full value deal to replace Gordon.

Then saddled Yak to Letestu most of the year thus rendering another #1 pick to the scrap heap. go oilers.

The chance of getting 5EV assists in a season from Letestu is remote due to his passing *ability*.

Team could have stayed the course with Roy, Gordon. Thus Yak still producing, and we still have a 4th line.

Change for the sake of change, not even, bottomsix was arguably worse.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad