Rumor: Oilers Want a Veteran Defenseman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
Clearly you don’t watch games if you think this season version of Desharnais isn’t a solid #6. I was one of the most outspoken critics of him last season. He’s been more than solid under Knob.

We’d be targeting a depth RD is my guess. 3rd rounder for Ned.
Desharnais puckhandling is barely passable at the NHL level and he is slow. Even if that is not your game you still need a minimum level of skill to play in the NHL. I see him potentially getting exposed 5 on 5 in the playoffs. I am not saying he is terrible and for the most part he is adequate but they should have another option on the right side for sure. We will have to agree to disagee. I just would not want to live or die with him as a set in stone full time top 6 d-man.

Last edited:

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
Yet Desharnais did fine against BOS and PIT in a top 4 role. Not bad for not even a #7.

I guess Skinner is not even a backup and Bouchard a 3rd pairing Dman.. because players/rookies don't improve in a year.
Bouchard based on his defensive play is definitely 3rd pairing. Defensively he is proibably one of the worst in the league. He is great offensively though.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Bouchard based on his defensive play is definitely 3rd pairing. Defensively he is proibably one of the worst in the league. He is great offensively though.
He was that last year but has come a long way. He is as good if not better than Ekholm defensively now.
I've bashed him a lot in past but eye test and advanced stats will both back that he is a legit #2/# 3 Dman now.

Reactions: Mr Positive

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
He was that last year but has come a long way. He is as good if not better than Ekholm defensively now.
I've bashed him a lot in past but eye test and advanced stats will both back that he is a legit #2/# 3 Dman now.
We will have to agree to disagree. He makes a lot of awful mistakes but it is risk reward with his offense, you have to take the good with the bad. I am not bashing him, every player has limitations. Of course when he is scoring I am not complaining.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
We will have to agree to disagree. He makes a lot of awful mistakes but it is risk reward with his offense, you have to take the good with the bad. I am not bashing him, every player has limitations. Of course when he is scoring I am not complaining.
Sure, that's how I am with Draisaitl. When he scores and wins faceoffs I don't complain. Garbage player otherwise.

HeyMattyB

Sports bring out the worst in everyone.
Aug 20, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Honestly, if you want a quietly effective 2RD who can skate really well, make a good first pass, and plays a solid (but not flashy) defensive game, Nick Jensen is your guy. And he's not a UFA/rental, either. He's got two years left at a very reasonable $4.05M. Caps wouldn't retain on a contract with two years left, but would take back an *expiring contract* (NOT CAMPBELL) to make the money work.

Reactions: McWeber

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
What would the Oilers have to add to Campbell for Risto? Philly perhaps doesn't mind dead cap. Oilers probably don't mind another physical force on their back end during playoffs.

• Haha
Reactions: Artemi Panarin

Mav3rick07

Jul 28, 2007
That's the case for most offensive-defenceman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad