News Article: Oilers the oldest team in the league

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton

Given we have near zero in terms of prospects rising thanks to league worst drafting and development over the past decade, being this old is concerning at this stage of McDavids career.

Not a lot in the system to replace players who age out and we already look slow out there too often.

Thoughts?

K1900L

Dec 27, 2019
That's what having no draft picks while going for the stars of 10 years ago does to you, lol.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
To be fair, does it really matter how old the rest of the roster is when the team is still basically a one line team with McDavid?

As long as he's still buzzing, they'll be fine.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
I don't really care that much. Considering we have a couple olds balls players in the bottom six in Ryan and Perry, and literally zero rookies on the team this isn't much of a surprise.

At this point, we can longer accept things as "learning opportunities" as the team is pretty veteran now. But ultimately most of the important players are still 30 or younger. Just Hyman, Kane and Ekholm amongst the typical top 6 forwards and top 4 defense 31 or older.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Our core isn’t that old. Not concerned.
It’s certainly getting there. Nuge and Hyman are on the wrong side of 30, Nurse will get there next year. Ekholm and Kane are already old.

We are already seeing signs of Draisaitl potentially slowing down in terms of effectiveness.

Bouchard is really the only “core” player that is still young and he’s probably going to price himself off the team after next season.

I suppose there is Skinner too. But not sure he even really counts as a core player or if it’s as important for goaltending.

It wouldn’t be an issue if the Oilers were able to draft and develop guys to fill out the roster. But they can’t. And they only seem to add old guys to supplement things.

With only Broberg and Holloway appearing to have any real hope at knocking at the door things certainly don’t look like they are going to get better in this regard.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
It's lacking a bit of context. The past few years they added older players who are still productive. Many of them on small contracts anyway. It's a lot worse for Pittsburg, who has lots of long term contracts with old players.
Yeah, the only old contracts that could become a concern at some point (other than Campbell of course) is Kane and potential Hyman and RNH, but fortunately the latter two still likely have a couple years before that concern is likely to occur.

Interestingly, we only have 3 contracts signed for 2026-2027 (well 4 if you count Campbell). So we're going to see ton of turnover in the next 3 years. The next GM is going to have to be very smart and creative.

Reactions: Oilhawks

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
It’s certainly getting there. Nuge and Hyman are on the wrong side of 30, Nurse will get there next year. Ekholm and Kane are already old.

We are already seeing signs of Draisaitl potentially slowing down in terms of effectiveness.

Bouchard is really the only “core” player that is still young and he’s probably going to price himself off the team after next season.

I suppose there is Skinner too. But not sure he even really counts as a core player or if it’s as important for goaltending.

It wouldn’t be an issue if the Oilers were able to draft and develop guys to fill out the roster. But they can’t. And they only seem to add old guys to supplement things.

With only Broberg and Holloway appearing to have any real hope at knocking at the door things certainly don’t look like they are going to get better in this regard.
Well when we get there I’ll be concerned.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Our core isn’t that old. Not concerned.

The thing I would care about is the average age of the "core 12" (top-6 F, 3rd C, top-4 D and starting G). My guess is that it would be quite a bit younger, depending on how you make the top-6 work. If you take last game you end up with:

Top 6: McDavid 27, Drai 28, Hyman 31, RNH 30, McLeod 24, Kane 31

3rd C: Henrique 34

Top 4: Nurse 29, Ekholm 33, Bouchard 24, VD 27

Starting G: Skinner 25 (I know Picks started, but nobody will argue this)

Average of the above is 28.58, which isn't even top-10 on above list, and likely middle of the pack.

Reactions: TopShelfGloveSide

29Beast97Mode

Jul 25, 2020
Vancouver
hfboards.mandatory.com
Perry and Ryan bring up the average, they're on the tail ends of their career. When Hyman and Kane's contracts up they'll probably sign for less. Ekholm is still effective at his age, may slow down in a few years but his contract is also up. 97 and 29 still have years of effectiveness. Not really concerning.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
The thing I would care about is the average age of the "core 12" (top-6 F, 3rd C, top-4 D and starting G). My guess is that it would be quite a bit younger, depending on how you make the top-6 work. If you take last game you end up with:

Top 6: McDavid 27, Drai 28, Hyman 31, RNH 30, McLeod 24, Kane 31

3rd C: Henrique 34

Top 4: Nurse 29, Ekholm 33, Bouchard 24, VD 27

Starting G: Skinner 25 (I know Picks started, but nobody will argue this)

Average of the above is 28.58, which isn't even top-10 on above list, and likely middle of the pack.
I think Henrique is going to stay for awhile, and for that to happen they'll likely have to offer him a three year contract at a reduced number, but the Oilers can't continue to add 30+ pieces. Some internal draft picks have to develop into impact players.

Reactions: Duke74

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Not really surprising.

I don’t think the core is that old.

Drafting and development has been awful under Holland though. For whatever reason, the team also doesn’t like playing younger players.

Hopefully it doesn’t catch up with them.

Reactions: CROTT

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

Jeezus, based on the bolded, I think I'd better check me and the Missus into a home.;)

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Not sure Gags counts in that. But remove, Perry, Ryan and Kulak and replace with Broberg, Holloway and Lavoie and that number will drop significantly.
Team speed would increase dramatically as would the outlook on the drafting.

If the prospects develop into NHL players is one thing. If they develop into players you can win a championship is another. We need drafted players maturing into impactful pieces for the roster.

Reactions: Louis Cypher

Old Boys Club

Anita Max Wynn
Nov 3, 2013
For better or worse, I would guess at least Broberg and Holloway are on the NHL roster next year. Perhaps Lavoie too, although management seems to not want to give him a shot.

Doubt Perry will be back, Campbell bought out, Ryan the 13th FWD. Foegle will likely price his way out.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
I seem to remember Detroit being the oldest team in the league for like 15 years running under Holland.

He likes his vets.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Not sure Gags counts in that. But remove, Perry, Ryan and Kulak and replace with Broberg, Holloway and Lavoie and that number will drop significantly.
I'll keep beating this drum, but it wouldn't shock me to see them move on from Kane in the offseason, too. Turning 33 in October, I could see them trying to avoid the inevitable downturn in productivity.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad