Rumor: Oilers talking to pending UFA Hyman (with Toronto’s permission)

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
I would not have paid Hyman 5-6 million now, let alone in 7-8 years. A good role player who ideally belongs in a middle six, non-scoring role.

Reactions: capfit9

Face Of Bear

Jul 30, 2012
Sad to see Hyman leave the Leafs but at least he did us a solid on the way out by milking the Oilers. He'll likely look great for at least 1-3 years... the extra term is just asking for a buy out or LTIR retirement though. Ever since the cap started I've been wondering if GMs will ever smarten up with these UFA contracts. Answer seems to be no.... It just takes one idiot GM who wants the player badly enough to overpay - and there's always at least one. Messes up the whole market. In a sane world Hyman would get 5.25 x 3

The Cheez

Aug 14, 2015
Yea 8 years is a lot, but the oilers need to win like now and unfortunately having to overpay is the norm for free agents. Not like guys are lining up to play here like say new York or something. The oilers window is now and from my point of view, the term sucks and hopefully its not buyout proof lol. But I do think he is really gonna help this team for the first few years anyway

migi

Feb 25, 2015
What the actual f***?

Taylor Hall is going to sign for 4 years and $6 millions per and Hyman gets 8 years and RNH money?

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Poor Hyman. The GM is offering him a terrible contract and the fans will end up hating him because of it.
I have no idea how he will manage.

tenor.gif

If I am Hyman I will take the money and run. He is a hard worker and if he continues that way, he should feel no shame about his career, regardless of fan backlash.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
Holland is getting his new Abdelkader? Sorry Oiler fans. Holland doesn’t seem to understand you pay stars the big money because they make those around them better. You don’t then offer those complimentary players contracts like they earned those points on their own.

How do the Oilers have such a hard time finding another Maroon? It’s mind boggling. There has to be a number of players out there with some talent and in need of a McDrai boost for a year or two as a means to an end to raise their worth on the next contract.

Last edited:
Reactions: ManwithNoIdentity

LuGBuG

Quack Quack
Mar 16, 2006
Ducks
I have no idea how he will manage.

tenor.gif

If I am Hyman I will take the money and run. He is a hard worker and if he continues that way, he should feel no shame about his career, regardless of fan backlash.
Agreed he shouldn't feel bad and should get paid. Just probably could've got almost as much somewhere else where he won't be blamed for the franchises terrible decisions.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

Subway Schenn

Jun 24, 2018
London, UK
Hope he trolls the Leafs and signs for 4.88 per x 7 =34.16mil after his favorite players

Basically the reason for the end of his time as a Leaf....

Hard to turn down a contract like the rumoured and 0 ill will towards the guy, in fact I hope he rips it up with that other Toronto boy on the Oilers top line.

NMC too? Man, oh man I hope Oilers fans don't turn on him. He doesn't deserve that sort of heat though I guess it comes with the money.

Last edited:

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
That light Oiler fans see at the end of the tunnel? It's a f'ing freight train.
Imagine paying Keith and Hyman $10 million.
People think paying Kassian $3.2m is too much. Hell, that's positively frugal now.
Go Oilers!

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
The only thing Oilers fans need to focus on is years 1-3.

The contract is going to be a terrible one. if there's an NMC involved that just makes things worse. But the Oilers need to stack up as much as possible and forget about the back half of this deal.

If it doesn't work out, you're going to likely lose one or both of McDrai anyway.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad