Confirmed with Link: Oilers sign Joel Persson (D)

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
on Eliteprospects

On the downside, he is smallish and not much of a force in his own end.
- Erik K. Piri (Elite Prospects, 2017)

That speaks Oiler all over it.

Let's hope he translates to North america decent.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
Don't get me wrong I don't dislike the signing or anything but I sure hope management has bigger ideas than scraping the bottom of the barrel like this.

This is a Tambellini type fix.

Reactions: mouz135

McRobbiezyg

Oct 21, 2007
yeah i'm really hoping this move isn't their solution for the powerplay. I hope he plays a regular shift but he'll probably just sit in the pressbox half the time ala auvitu and fill in for injuries. a jump from tier 3 to SHL is huge but the jump to the NHL is even bigger. it'll be tough for him for sure

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
HZWbSbnE_400x400.jpg

Loooks like the rite persson fer the jab

Last edited:

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Don't get me wrong I don't dislike the signing or anything but I sure hope management has bigger ideas than scraping the bottom of the barrel like this.

This is a Tambellini type fix.
:facepalm:

It's not, it's a common thing for teams. If you're signing this guy to play 16-20 mins a night with Kurtis Foster, THAT'S a Tambellini fix.

Reactions: nabob

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
You realize this is exactly what I said, right?
Because you're assuming what I'm saying, instead of viewing it as what it is, a different way to acquire organizational depth. This is common for teams to do. To assume this is all they're doing and hoping for the best is dishonest.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
Because you're assuming what I'm saying, instead of viewing it as what it is, a different way to acquire organizational depth. This is common for teams to do. To assume this is all they're doing and hoping for the best is dishonest.

I didn't assume anything. I even said I'm fine with bringing this dude in.

Keep seeing what you want to see, though.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I didn't assume anything. I even said I'm fine with bringing this dude in.

Keep seeing what you want to see, though.
Adding a whole bunch of negative after the original part is why you received the response you did.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Nice signing by the sounds of things. Kind of surprised that he didn't sign with his brothers team though.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Intriguing. Seems like he's had a real steep development curve and his skillset checks off some boxes so good low risk medium reward signing. I wonder if any other teams were in on him.

I just hope that Chia doesn't see this as the answer to top 4 puckmover that they've been coveting since he was hired. If this is as more of an Auvitu replacement then I'm on board although it would be nice if Mclellan actually played him.

Last edited:

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Intriguing. Seems like he's had a real steep development curve and his skillset checks off some boxes so good low risk medium reward signing. I wonder if any other teams were in on him.

I just hope that Chia doesn't see this as the answer to top 4 puckmover that they've been coveting since he was hired. If this is as more of an Auvitu replacement then I'm on board although it would be nice if Mclellan actually played him.

Was just going to say this almost exactly.

Our statistically best puckmoving Dman rarely got to see the ice last season in a year where we had tons of injuries on D. I don't have confidence that he will get a fair shot, maybe if he was a good prairie boy he might.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Was just going to say this almost exactly.

Our statistically best puckmoving Dman rarely got to see the ice last season in a year where we had tons of injuries on D. I don't have confidence that he will get a fair shot, maybe if he was a good prairie boy he might.

If you mean Auvitu, handedness had to have been a bit of a factor. Often when he drew in it meant only one right shooting d-man.

I too think the Oilers are hoping this is the Auvitu replacement but with appropriate handedness. Both are late arriving prospects where offense is where they have upside.

A reasonable gamble as age and contract history suggest a one-year ELC where we retain RFA rights. I doubt this is the final move to shoring up the defense after hearing the verbal from Nicholson and Chiarelli.

Reactions: nabob

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad