Confirmed with Link: Oilers sign Brandon Sutter and Sam Gagner to PTOs

OilerTyler

Disgruntled
Jul 5, 2009
Edmonton
In before 20 pages of a certain few posters losing their minds over these no risk, no consequence moves.

I think giving Gagner a PTO is just an act of good faith to a player who bleeds orange and blue and is friends with many of our current players. His dad is also Bouchard’s agent. I don’t think he’s the best fit but he’s probably an upgrade on Pederson if we sign him.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
In before 20 pages of a certain few posters losing their minds over these no risk, no consequence moves.

I think giving Gagner a PTO is just an act of good faith to a player who bleeds orange and blue and is friends with many of our current players. His dad is also Bouchard’s agent. I don’t think he’s the best fit but he’s probably an upgrade on Pederson if we sign him.
Certain posters know very little about certain other posters. Anybody thats been on this board awhile knows I'm in the Sam Gagner fan club for life.

Not saying your comment was about me but it often is.

Gagner is a good depth signing and always a solid team guy. Would have this guy over a sod like Yams any day of the week, any year.

Gagner gives you that depth that can play up and down lineup in case of injuries. He's also a lot stronger player, mansize and strength now, that people kind of sleep on. Gagner is over 200lbs now and trains like a mad man every offseason. The player has done everything possible to increase his strength and battle fitting the roleplayer bottomsix description he currently is.

Would be nice to see Ganger pot his 200th goal here. Guy still has the hands and scored 13 in Detroit. Scored 8 with Jets in half a season.

The hip issues are a worry though.

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Let's go Gags! Hope he can pull off some magic and maybe secure a spot
Well its not like he was out of the league or anything like in the past. The guy has been up in the show, just got hip injury last year. Thats the question mark. For those not familiar Sam Gagner is erasing age about as much as Derek Ryan is. They look similar. Neither two quick but Sam has a lot more heft than people will remember. He can play 4th line, he can play any line. I liked what Sam looked like in Detroit. They liked him as well and he was of course helpful in the room.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I really like Gagner as a person. I think hes great in the room. Not sure he fits with a 12 F group. But hopefully he gets a chance somewhere even if its not for us.

Reactions: OilerTyler

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Samwise is back! I wonder if he takes a 2-way contract if they promise a position in the organization afterward (not sure if he's an NHLer anymore)
21G in last season and a half of play still suggests NHL player. Considering limited minutes Gangers production continues to be solid addition to teams. With the way he trains he's kept himself in the league. Without which he never would have made it back.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Nothing wrong with a Gagner PTO. Worst case scenario is we have a player in camp that doesn’t make it but is loved by the rest of the guys. Best case we have an upgrade on Shore.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
21G in last season and a half of play still suggests NHL player. Considering limited minutes Gangers production continues to be solid addition to teams. With the way he trains he's kept himself in the league. Without which he never would have made it back.
How many at 5on5? He would see barely any powerplay time here

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I like Sam, he's good in the room, but even as someone who's bulked up ... he's still likely a defensive liability out there. Sure he will probably pot the odd goal though.

I think Sutter is more likely to make the team if his conditioning is anywhere near half decent. That's someone who can take draws and play on the PK at least.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Sam back is some good nostalgia and the bottom 6 is still pretty wide open. Guess we will see if he and sutter can crack the team.

oil Leaks

The Ultimate Decoy
Jul 5, 2011
Feels good fam
x19tRCC.png

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

I think part of it for Gagner is seeing if he's physically able to play as well. He could very well after a few practices decide his double hip surgery has taken a step away from him. Good faith and all. I do however suspect he'll be an Oiler in some capacity this season. Whether it's as a player or as a scout out east.

Reactions: OilerTyler

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I like Sam, he's good in the room, but even as someone who's bulked up ... he's still likely a defensive liability out there. Sure he will probably pot the odd goal though.

I think Sutter is more likely to make the team if his conditioning is anywhere near half decent. That's someone who can take draws and play on the PK at least.
Sam Gagner led all Wings in pk minutes in 21-22 season. he plays pk now, lots. People have kind of slept on the roles Sam has evolved to fill.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Gags is the safe play on a guy who could be a good 13F even if he isn't good enough to play in the bottom 6.

Sutter is the home run swing where if he's healthy enough to contribute he could be a great add.

Overall not upset with the dynamic of the two PTOs so far.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad