Proposal: Oilers | Sabres

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Yes they could. It would mean moving on from Adam Larsson and using his cap space to re-sign Dahlin. But that's a moot point as Buffalo wouldn't consider this at all.
Why would we move Larsson when he's been playing really good for us?

Mar 26, 2010
So basically, Dahlin to Edmonton for their trash. :popcorn:

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
Broberg + Holloway is the most I would give... and that is quite a bit but I do see an upside to Dahlin in the right environment. The Oilers went through these challenges with young players and forcing them to play above their head... they had the same results as the Sabres are having.

I would fully understand the Sabres wanting to hang onto Dahlin but Broberg and Holloway are probably our two best prospects... both were selected in the front half of the first round and both have progressed better than you would expect thus far.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Broberg + Holloway is the most I would give... and that is quite a bit but I do see an upside to Dahlin in the right environment. The Oilers went through these challenges with young players and forcing them to play above their head... they had the same results as the Sabres are having.

I would fully understand the Sabres wanting to hang onto Dahlin but Broberg and Holloway are probably our two best prospects... both were selected in the front half of the first round and both have progressed better than you would expect thus far.

Holloway has to be on the table if you're talking Dahlin.

The only guys who are off the table are McDavid and Draisaitl. That's it.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Why would we move Larsson when he's been playing really good for us?
We wouldn't want to. But if Dahlin was in Edmonton and his cap hit was $4M, we might be forced to. We couldn't afford to pay Dahlin his raise, re-sign Larsson, and bring in anything to fix the glaring holes on our roster (goalie, 2nd line LW).

Reactions: TFHockey

explore

I was wrong about Don Granato and TNT
Jun 28, 2011
Counter:

Jeff Skinner + Conditional 1st (if the Sabres have a good pick, or a prospect they like they keep the pick, if it's a garbage pick it goes to the Oilers) for Connor McDavid

Don't even think about asking for Eichel, Dahlin, Cozens, or Reinhart

explore

I was wrong about Don Granato and TNT
Jun 28, 2011
This type of response never hits the mark it is going for.

Thinking the Sabres' 20-year-old franchise defenseman is not only available, but that he'll be traded for a pile of your garbage definitely sets the stage for a good discussion

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Thinking the Sabres' 20-year-old franchise defenseman is not only available, but that he'll be traded for a pile of your garbage definitely sets up the stage for a good discussion

Hey, I agree that this proposal and the discussion around it have been a tire fire. But the response I quoted doesn't add anything to it either. Nothing personal, it just seems that every time a bad proposal comes up, someone has to come in and do the equivalency comparison, even though the consensus is that it was a garbage proposal. It just feeds other negative posts. But carry on, I'll see myself out of this one.

Reactions: RattsSSV

McJC

May 2, 2010
Edmonton
Dahlin is a league worst -27 and plays the second most minutes on the team... I get that he's a 1st overall pick but he has a long way to go to reach that potential he once had

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Thinking the Sabres' 20-year-old franchise defenseman is not only available, but that he'll be traded for a pile of your garbage definitely sets the stage for a good discussion

was it not reported that everyone was up for discussion from Buffalo?
I agree it would take a lot to get Dahlin, but not like it's out of the realm of possibility he gets moved.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Dahlin is a league worst -27 and plays the second most minutes on the team... I get that he's a 1st overall pick but he has a long way to go to reach that potential he once had

Your location is Edmonton. You should know that plus minus is always awful for players who play big minutes on bad teams. It literally only gauges how many more goals are scored for/against your team while you are on the ice. Of course bad teams will show poorly. This is why +/- is such a misused stat. You can't just look at it alone and see how good or bad defensively a player is. You need to use it, along with a ton of other information, like common linemates, matchup quality, zone starts, etc. etc etc.

Not to mention that a 20 year old offensive defenseman having questionable defense isn't exactly the black mark that many are suggesting. He isn't a finished product by any means. Not close to it. Buffalo needs to get him some support to help him develop though.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in

Yea that 20 year old in his 3rd NHL season is terrible. I mean, most guys play their first NHL game at 20 and they still have potential to be good. Yet Dahlin is already done growing as a player.

Take him. Give us a 7th and we're good.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
Would love to see Dahlin get out of the absolute shit show, Buffalo Sabres.

But it will realistically not be to Edmonton, since they would probably ask for Drai in return.

Going after Dahlin now, is really smart though. His value must be half of what it was in his rookie season.
In what world is the reigning Hart, Lindsay, Art Ross winner who is absolutely killing it this year the “realistic” return for Dahlin? Buffalo would know not to even ask for Draisaitl

Reactions: TFHockey and Seachd

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
LOL @ we can transfer the pick if we like a player still on the board... Um, no?

Reactions: EK392000

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
OP putting restrictions on a trade while asking for one of the best young D to come along in years . Lol at putting the first 1 to 4 drafts . You give that pick up unprotected to get A D man that already got 2 40 point season before age 20 .

As an Oiler fan it just a bad proposal for Buffalo .

broc

Dec 20, 2010
Holloway/Bouchard/Yamamoto will not be a part of it, so don't even bring it up.

Add any other prospects/picks

Well, considering Dahlin has much more value than any of those prospects you’ve taken off the table, I think it’s safe to say you don’t have a snowballs chance in hell of getting Dahlin, lol

coopooter

Sep 28, 2017

I would pass on that as Oil fan

krt88nc

Oct 7, 2017
Fayetteville, NC
*This is an off-season move and a starting base, NOT a full proposal*

To EDM:

Rasmus Dahlin

To BUF:

Philip Broberg
Conditional 2021 1st round pick (We can transfer it if who we want is no longer there, or if the player is there it becomes a 2022 1st round pick)
2023 or 2024 1st round pick (depending on which of '21 or '22 1st round pick we give up)

No

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
*This is an off-season move and a starting base, NOT a full proposal*

To EDM:

Rasmus Dahlin

To BUF:

Philip Broberg
Conditional 2021 1st round pick (We can transfer it if who we want is no longer there, or if the player is there it becomes a 2022 1st round pick)
2023 or 2024 1st round pick (depending on which of '21 or '22 1st round pick we give up)

LOLOL
I want the 1st overall D from 3 drafts ago.
I want to put conditions on what pick the other team gets dependent on if the players I want are there.

Also, you can't have any of our 3 most desirable young players (all three of which wouldn't get you Dahlin btw).

You understand OP, that the Sabres are a team comprised of people with their own hopes and dreams, right? Not NPC in a video game?

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad