GDT: Oilers Rookies vs Golden Bears 2016

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
So of all of the camp invites, which one would you sign if you could only sign one? For me it's probably Doetzel.

I think Soustal has the most upside. I'm also kinda surprised that Irving isn't playing this game after he already sat one in Penticton, he looked good the two games he played there IMO.

EDIT: If we're counting guys on AHL deals as invites, it'd be Descheneau for me. He would have got a NHL deal if he wasn't hurt all of last year IMO.

Last edited:

48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016
So of all of the camp invites, which one would you sign if you could only sign one? For me it's probably Doetzel.

Doetzel has impressed and dropping Hunter Smith in that fight was a highlight of the young stars tourney.

Benik has played well too. Shirley and Stadnyk played decent too, especially on the PK.

But since "only one" I'd pick Doetzel. It helps he's a RHD and could get some real consideration from the scouts and management. It wouldn't surprise me if he did find a contract with the Oilers or another NHL team this year or next.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
I think he just missed a wide open net
gvFpTrb.gif

PinSeeker

Really narrowed his eyyyyyyyyyesssssss
Aug 22, 2005
YLW
Cagiulla underwhelming. Puljujarvi was about what I expected, dominant at times but not shockingly so.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
i was thinking he was like a better skating mat greene , would u consider that accurate ?

He doesn't hit as often as Greene used to and Greene was a bit heavier although Doetzel is probably the better fighter at the same stage in their careers.

How has Benning looked today?

Probably his quietest game so far. Didn't stand out too much other than that glorious chance that he missed.

Ninety7

go oil go
Jun 19, 2010
Canada
Was at the game today. Puljujarvi sees the ice so well. He's an exceptional passer. Great skater as well. He's not very physical, and he's prone to turning the puck over sometimes, but I'm sure that'll all be ironed out.

Ninety7

go oil go
Jun 19, 2010
Canada
Was not too impressed with Jones as well. He fumbled the puck quite a bit on the blue line and looked pretty slow.

Mara

May 10, 2011
Was at the game today. Puljujarvi sees the ice so well. He's an exceptional passer. Great skater as well. He's not very physical, and he's prone to turning the puck over sometimes, but I'm sure that'll all be ironed out.

Seemed shockingly lazy at times, hopefully it was just the pace of the game. One thing Edmonton needs to pound into him ASAP is that he needs to shoot more. Too many risky passes that resulted in turn-overs when he should've just delivered the puck to the goal. All in all if he's close to top shape rn it's difficult to see him in the NHL at the start.

Ninety7

go oil go
Jun 19, 2010
Canada
Seemed shockingly lazy at times, hopefully it was just the pace of the game. One thing Edmonton needs to pound into him ASAP is that he needs to shoot more. Too many risky passes that resulted in turn-overs when he should've just delivered the puck to the goal. All in all if he's close to top shape rn it's difficult to see him in the NHL at the start.

I disagree with the lazy part. He wasn't busting his ass like certain players, but he was still effective. I do agree that he should utilize his shot more.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I think/hope/Believe we will see Pulju as more himself when the pre season starts.
He's played against the best Liiga can offer and against the better teams in Europe, the tempo in these games has been low for him and he plays a pro game.

I'm pretty confident that (majority) of those turnovers will be cut off from his play when the camp starts, he didn't make those plays in Liiga and if you do make them you won't see ice.

Last edited:

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
- Chase was the most underwhelming player for me by far
- Jones and Bear have fantastic offensive instincts, need a bit more seasoning on D but I could see both in the NHL one day
- Pulju didn't seem fully engaged in the game, that being said he was clearly a level ahead of the rest
- Cagiula needs AHL time, I doubt he sees many games in the NHL this year. Good player but NHL good just yet.

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
Pulju really didn't get engaged until the the 3rd, the Bears kept challenging him physically and he just let them hit him and didn't finish his checks.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Pulju really didn't get engaged until the the 3rd, the Bears kept challenging him physically and he just let them hit him and didn't finish his checks.

Not sure that was anything other than classy thing to do. Doesn't need to get into that at this game and his proving ground will be against NHL players in exhibition season. Smart player an knows he'll get his looks regardless.

I should've went to the game but Team Canada was on, from the looks, of it, says everybody.;) Wow, the crowd was sparse at U Of A. Clare Drake is usually sold out for these.

Nice that bears were able to at least stay around in the score line for awhile. Goaltending was ***** for both clubs though.

CIS goalies just get exploited in these games. Just move the puck across, they can't cope with that typically. I'd be skating across and shooting all night or passes across. That's how you score on CIS goalies. Completely open up the wickets and lack the slide across technique.

Some of the Oilers recognized that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad