News and Blog Report: Oilers Rookie and Main Camp rosters announced

duul

Jun 21, 2010
I think you can even have Puljujarvi driving a line at this point. Put him with two defensive type players who can cycle and aren't weak on the puck. Focus on just giving it to him and letting him dominate without worrying about deferring to Davo. He reminds me of a player like Hall. Pure line driver type. Not going to really matter who he's playing with as long as he can get the puck with speed and rip it from everywhere.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
IMO that is what early pre-season is for. The last 2-3 games of the season is when you should be dialing in your lines so that they have chemistry to start the season.

The vets usually don’t play in early games and if they are it’s against AHL level competition.

Bottom line is preseason is for evaluation and dialing the game in. Seeing how lines work is part of that.

Also lines will change throughout the season and it’s more about effective pairs than sets of 3 now.

Reactions: Behind Enemy Lines

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I think you can even have Puljujarvi driving a line at this point. Put him with two defensive type players who can cycle and aren't weak on the puck. Focus on just giving it to him and letting him dominate without worrying about deferring to Davo. He reminds me of a player like Hall. Pure line driver type. Not going to really matter who he's playing with as long as he can get the puck with speed and rip it from everywhere.

I don’t think PJ is anywhere near ready to drive a line yet. Paired with one of 97 or 29 and he would be far more productive than with two defensive forwards.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
The vets usually don’t play in early games and if they are it’s against AHL level competition.

Bottom line is preseason is for evaluation and dialing the game in. Seeing how lines work is part of that.

Also lines will change throughout the season and it’s more about effective pairs than sets of 3 now.

Ultimately I think that we are setting ourselves up to be a one line team again and that is inexcusable when we have 3 dynamic forwards and at least 2 quality support players.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Ultimately I think that we are setting ourselves up to be a one line team again and that is inexcusable when we have 3 dynamic forwards and at least 2 quality support players.

I think if a 2nd line around Hyman RNH and Yamo can contribute 50 goals we are nearly unstoppable with that first line. Good to have options!

Reactions: Behind Enemy Lines

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
IMO that is what early pre-season is for. The last 2-3 games of the season is when you should be dialing in your lines so that they have chemistry to start the season.
Was just going to say this. Using your last preseason game on something that’s not your starting lineup is kind of silly

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I think if a 2nd line around Hyman RNH and Yamo can contribute 50 goals we are nearly unstoppable with that first line. Good to have options!
It’s possible. Although I don’t like the idea of throwing 2 guys on a line together who just had abysmal offensive years and putting them with a complimentary winger. Not really a recipe for success. If they wanted to load up the top line then at least put Puljujarvi on the second line as it seems like he has the ability to generate offence with his shot. That second line as is, doesn’t really have scorers on it. Not having a shooter on a line with Hyman seems silly. Can’t clean up juicy rebounds if your best shooter on the line is Ryan “And it’s wide” Nugent Hopkins

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

We'll see, I don't see that line averaging 16 goals apiece unless a good amount of that is on the PP from Hyman and RNH. We would need Yamamoto to really take a big step forward from last season to get close to those numbers.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
It’s possible. Although I don’t like the idea of throwing 2 guys on a line together who just had abysmal offensive years and putting them with a complimentary winger. Not really a recipe for success. If they wanted to load up the top line then at least put Puljujarvi on the second line as it seems like he has the ability to generate offence with his shot. That second line as is, doesn’t really have scorers on it. Not having a shooter on a line with Hyman seems silly. Can’t clean up juicy rebounds if your best shooter on the line is Ryan “And it’s wide” Nugent Hopkins

I am curious to see the line together but I get what your saying. PJ on that line I’d be curious to see as well and Yamo with 29/97.

Bottom line is we have tons of options now. Let’s see what works and what doesn’t.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver

Versatility can be a massive competitive advantage. Utilizing Draisaitl and Nugent Hopkins with strong hockey IQ as centre/wingers is very valuable to disrupt and change looks in a variety of game situations. The critical issue has always been about having legitimate quality depth to ensure a respectable second line when Tippett opts for the Nuclear Stack of McDavid and Draisaitl. Hyman will help second line support - the key is going to be right wing and whether Yamamoto can find the consistency required to help. Stated before, I'd opt Yamamoto with McDavid and Draisaitl and move Puljujarvi to help add size and skill to a Nugent Hopkins Hyman support option.

Yamamoto is the unknown in the top six. Can he find the consistency production wise at this early stage of his NHL career to deliver top six results. Right now, this team still needs sniper winger Draisaitl finishing 30+ goals.

Moving the top six around through pre-season is free intelligence to solving in-game situational challenges when regular season points are at stake. Tippett's pretty confident in most duos but pre-season game action to see some line mixes can be filed in the memory bank and video review banks for later. Of course adding to on-ice familiarity beyond rigid line setting is vital.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Yes but when you have two players as good as Drai and McDavid, who work so well together, it strikes me as a no-brainer to put them together and let the rest of the pieces fall in from there.

They also work well apart and it doesn't put all of our eggs in one basket. There would be nothing wrong with Hyman-McDavid-Puljujarvi and RNH-Draisaitl-? as long as the ? plays well.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Versatility can be a massive competitive advantage. Utilizing Draisaitl and Nugent Hopkins with strong hockey IQ as centre/wingers is very valuable to disrupt and change looks in a variety of game situations. The critical issue has always been about having legitimate quality depth to ensure a respectable second line when Tippett opts for the Nuclear Stack of McDavid and Draisaitl. Hyman will help second line support - the key is going to be right wing and whether Yamamoto can find the consistency required to help. Stated before, I'd opt Yamamoto with McDavid and Draisaitl and move Puljujarvi to help add size and skill to a Nugent Hopkins Hyman support option.

Yamamoto is the unknown in the top six. Can he find the consistency production wise at this early stage of his NHL career to deliver top six results. Right now, this team still needs sniper winger Draisaitl finishing 30+ goals.

Moving the top six around through pre-season is free intelligence to solving in-game situational challenges when regular season points are at stake. Tippett's pretty confident in most duos but pre-season game action to see some line mixes can be filed in the memory bank and video review banks for later. Of course adding to on-ice familiarity beyond rigid line setting is vital.

They tried McDrai with Yamamoto last season and it didn't work well IMO. Kailer doesn't belong near the 1st line right now and IMO Jesse's effectiveness is limited on the top line because Connor and Drai want the puck on their sticks at all times. Play Hyman or Foegele with them and then play Pulju with Nuge and Hyman or Foegele on the 2nd line and IMO we'd be in a better spot.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I am curious to see the line together but I get what your saying. PJ on that line I’d be curious to see as well and Yamo with 29/97.

Bottom line is we have tons of options now. Let’s see what works and what doesn’t.
Our point is then do it earlier in preseason. Changing things and trying things in your last pre season game or 2 is really against the norm. Early preseason is for tinkering, late preseason is to get your lines.

I mean you can always try stuff and see if it works but pretty often you can tell some things that obviously don’t work.

Nuge as a center works best if he isn’t the most offensively talented guy on his line. If he can dish rather than be “the guy”. Yamamoto and Hyman are kind of like that too. So putting them all together is counter intuitive with how they play. Same with loading up McDrai with Puljujarvi. You are forcing Puljujarvi into a third man role where he has to be one fetching pucks and crashing the net. It’s forcing him into a complimentary role where he thrives as a guy pushing the pace.
Which is why Puljujarvi looked so good with Hyman and McDavid rather than last game where he was hugely neutered with McDrai.

And I mean we can’t pretend like coaches are infallible and always know what they are doing. League wide coaches try weird dumb combos that people know won’t work but the coaches continue try and force it.

Not saying it won’t work, miracles happen but it’s definitely not a good way to deploy our top 6 guys.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
They tried McDrai with Yamamoto last season and it didn't work well IMO. Kailer doesn't belong near the 1st line right now and IMO Jesse's effectiveness is limited on the top line because Connor and Drai want the puck on their sticks at all times. Play Hyman or Foegele with them and then play Pulju with Nuge and Hyman or Foegele on the 2nd line and IMO we'd be in a better spot.
All the good to great top 6 lines need a mix of guys to succeed. When you pack the lines with all the same types of players they become less effective. I mean yeah McDrai will always score so anyone may look fine there but you could be wasting a players abilities and potentially hurting other lines doing so.

The other issue with loading them up is we don’t want to burn them out before the playoffs happen, having them as linemates leads to that heavily, especially if your top line consists of all 3 of your play drivers

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver

This is why pre-season is perfect for trial and testing several top six combinations. Puljujarvi continues to grow in confidence and in putting more elements of his game together. I'd personally love to see how a bigger second line with Nugent Hopkins whose more of a natural distributor works with Hyman's board work and energy and Puljujarvi who is showing great skating, ability to score at distance and increasing willingness to muck in the blue paint. Yamamoto I'll agree is needing to show more with being granted top six ice-time. But why not give him some minutes riding shotgun with McDavid and Draisaitl to see if his puck hunting mentality and net crashing willingness can find some stickiness with the best player in the world and another top five.

Foegele looks to me like a quality third line guy with great chemistry with Ryan. Haven't seen him do enough personally to drop him into top line (not a criticism, just like him as an energy third liner). The X factor/question mark is Yamamoto and second line right wing.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Our point is then do it earlier in preseason. Changing things and trying things in your last pre season game or 2 is really against the norm. Early preseason is for tinkering, late preseason is to get your lines.

I mean you can always try stuff and see if it works but pretty often you can tell some things that obviously don’t work.

Nuge as a center works best if he isn’t the most offensively talented guy on his line. If he can dish rather than be “the guy”. Yamamoto and Hyman are kind of like that too. So putting them all together is counter intuitive with how they play. Same with loading up McDrai with Puljujarvi. You are forcing Puljujarvi into a third man role where he has to be one fetching pucks and crashing the net. It’s forcing him into a complimentary role where he thrives as a guy pushing the pace.
Which is why Puljujarvi looked so good with Hyman and McDavid rather than last game where he was hugely neutered with McDrai.

And I mean we can’t pretend like coaches are infallible and always know what they are doing. League wide coaches try weird dumb combos that people know won’t work but the coaches continue try and force it.

Not saying it won’t work, miracles happen but it’s definitely not a good way to deploy our top 6 guys.

I do get the point however the reality of it is opposing coaches typically play very weak lineups to start the preseason year and the top 6 rarely do road trips in the first week of games. So seeing how they do against a higher quality of competition is critical to the test drive which realistically means later in camp. Also Yamo missed the last game so let’s give it a whirl.

That said I don’t love the line myself but I’m open to seeing what it can do.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011

Well maybe the lineup in the last 2 games is more what Tippett will deploy. Stauffer did say during last intermission that McDrai would play together quite a bit this year.

I agree with you though, seems weird to have 3 support players on one line. A lot of line combinations haven’t made a ton of sense on this team in the past and I am sure with other teams as well. At some point you wonder is it all the weird coaching decisions or its locker politics behind the scenes. Who knows. Seems weird to sign Hyman to play him with RNH.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad