News and Blog Report: Oilers Rookie and Main Camp rosters announced

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
The main camp roster will be listed here when it's posted by the Oilers.

The rookie camp roster is found here:

https://cms.nhl.bamgrid.com/images/assets/binary/326103708/binary-file/file.pdf

Rookie camp starts on the 15th. Main camp starts on the 22nd.

What jumps out at me in reading this list is the size of the D-men. Only 1 guy less than 6 ft. 2. --Good, because we need more size and toughness back there.

Obviously Holloway and Lavoie are the guys to watch up front. I think its make or break this year for Max--I didn't realize he was 6 ft. 4.

Last edited:
Reactions: oilers'72

The Head Crusher

Re-retired
Jan 3, 2008
Edmonton
What jumps out at me in reading this list is the size of the D-men. Only 1 guy less than 6 ft. 2. --Good, because we need more size and toughness back there.

Obviously Holloway and Lavoie are the guys to watch up front. I think its make or break this year for Max--I didn't realize he was 6 ft. 4.

And he is a camp invite, though I am intrigued by our other Camp invite on the back end in Simon Kubicek. I selected him the the World Junior Draft last year and i know the Oil Kings picked him up but I want to see what he has to offer.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
And he is a camp invite, though I am intrigued by our other Camp invite on the back end in Simon Kubicek. I selected him the the World Junior Draft last year and i know the Oil Kings picked him up but I want to see what he has to offer.

Tend to agree- it has been a long time since the Oilers have had this many good prospects on the blue line but of course right now all of them (including Broberg and Sammy) are nothing more than "prospects." I still get the feeling that Samorukov will be a long term Oiler by the time Christmas rolls around.

Magnum23

Aug 24, 2012
Wow we have some big boys on D. Besides Broberg/Samurokov hopefully we have 1-2 more gems on that list.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
University of Vermont. No chance. NCAA doesn't like their players rubbing shoulders with pros.

Yep, NCAA and their strange rules. If they go to any pro level camp, even if it's just for the experience, they're now considered a "professional" player and their amateur eligibility status is gone and can't play on school teams.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
I'm pretty sure that NCAA players can go IF they pay their own way.

Right, that's the catch...can't accept any form of "payment" in any way or bye-bye college career.

I'm sure tons of college kids have just happened to find an unaddressed envelope stashed full of money in their mail box a few days before camp, which coincidentally was enough to cover flights, meals and hotels :laugh:.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Right, that's the catch...can't accept any form of "payment" in any way or bye-bye college career.

I'm sure tons of college kids have just happened to find an unaddressed envelope stashed full of money in their mail box a few days before camp, which coincidentally was enough to cover flights, meals and hotels :laugh:.

With the changes to NIL down in the NCAA, all it would take is an Edmonton company to "sponsor" the NCAA player, and he would be able to come to the camp using his own money. No rules would be broken even.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Yep. When we have cap issues to deal with next year, Lavoie could find himself in a gravy spot on the main roster just because of his ELC.

IMO he could be Yamamoto's replacement in the top 6 if he continues to progress well.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
I really would like surprises, but I suspect hardly ml surprise.

My rank of biggest chance to surprise

D Holloway beats out Turris in camp
Benson beats out Turris or Shore in camp
Samurukov beats out Russell/Koekkkoekk(??) in canp
Marody beats Turris as the benchwarmer

So the man closest to hubt down is Turris, then MacLeod, after that Derek Roy in my opinion.

The most interrestung watch for me is will Benson get a bottom 6 spot, and how will they treat Holloway. I see them sending him to a 20 AHL games route. I dont know if AHL is the right way to develope players nowadays though. I belive more in playing a player in europe right now. Skating, reading the game and skill instead ofnpracticing dump and chase.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
IMO he could be Yamamoto's replacement in the top 6 if he continues to progress well.

I agree. I was also thinking possibly Pulujarvi's replacement if we can't afford to keep him and have to move on (I hate that thought, btw). I want to say that we don't need a Yamamoto replacement, but I'm still not sold on his long term viability as an NHL'er due to his lack of size and strength. I hope I'm wrong, but last year concerned me with him. And his lack of contract does as well. Lavoie sniping from the top six could be really fun.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad