Recalled/Assigned: Oilers Recall Oesterle And Assign Nikitin

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
Calling up a US born, college trained, finesse dman with zero physical dimension?

Heck, why not...that template's worked so well for the Oilers in the past, may as well keep dipping their bucket in that well. :popcorn:

Sorry, not a big fan of Oesterle. From what bits I've seen of him he reminds me of Schultz after chugging half a bottle of Nyquil.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Curious if actually said he thought Grif was NHL ready? Would be unhappy if he did.

Yep he did. The day of the trade he said he thought Reinhart was ready to play in the NHL full time. The deal was made with the idea of him being a roster player this season.

Anyways, since this isn't a Reinhart thread, I'll focus on the re-call of Oesterle....

Are we ever going to stop finishing a season by populating the bottom part of our roster with run of the mill scrub AHL players? Every year around this time we end up running out the season playing guys who have no business being anywhere near the team and who have no future on this team, or any team in the NHL.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
This is a big opportunity for Oesterle.

Has a chance to earn a spot here for next year as the No.6 or 7 D-man.

Davidson-Oesterle has promise for the 3rd pairing. I guess we will see.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
We need Reinhart to develop in the AHL, as should Nurse. Now is the perfect time to bring up over-ripe Dmen like Oesterle. This call up does not mean that Oesterle is better than Reinhart, and certainly not more valuable

I agree. Reinhart is a few adjustments away from being a solid NHLer. He either needs to work on his foot speed or his positioning.

As for Nurse... all the big minutes we've thrown at him this year flat out isn't fair. He's going through the NHL equivalent of PTSD.

I'd love to see him go down and play 10 games in the AHL just to regain some perspective. The kid has shown us a ton this year and if we went down to the AHL he'd totally dominate in most situations against the opposition's best players down there. Bring him back for the last few games of the season when there's no pressure to win or lose. He's worked his ass off and improved a ton and I feel he's deserving of the NHL lifestyle.

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
I agree. Reinhart is a few adjustments away from being a solid NHLer. He either needs to work on his foot speed or his positioning.

As for Nurse... all the big minutes we've thrown at him this year flat out isn't fair. He's going through the NHL equivalent of PTSD.

I'd love to see him go down and play 10 games in the AHL just to regain some perspective. The kid has shown us a ton this year and if we went down to the AHL he'd totally dominate in most situations against the opposition's best players down there. Bring him back for the last few games of the season when there's no pressure to win or lose. He's worked his ass off and improved a ton and I feel he's deserving of the NHL lifestyle.

Reinhart will be a bust because of his slowness.

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
The Jultz disease has spread through the organization, here comes another Jultzing style of defender to save the day.

Narnia

Mar 1, 2002
Surrey, BC
picasaweb.google.com
Yep he did. The day of the trade he said he thought Reinhart was ready to play in the NHL full time. The deal was made with the idea of him being a roster player this season.

Anyways, since this isn't a Reinhart thread, I'll focus on the re-call of Oesterle....

Are we ever going to stop finishing a season by populating the bottom part of our roster with run of the mill scrub AHL players? Every year around this time we end up running out the season playing guys who have no business being anywhere near the team and who have no future on this team, or any team in the NHL.
The bolded is key as he never said for sure but he though he was ready.

Bangers

May 31, 2006

Meh, I'm ok with it. Didn't Davidson impress last year? Now, he's a legitimate NHL defenceman.

Oesterle could be the same (unlikely, but still...)

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
It doesn't really matter as far as wins/losses go because these fringe players aren't going to move the needle... but it's nice to spread a little NHL money around and reward some of the AHL toilers with some NHL time.

Blitzago*

Dec 11, 2015
Calling up a US born, college trained, finesse dman with zero physical dimension?

Heck, why not...that template's worked so well for the Oilers in the past, may as well keep dipping their bucket in that well. :popcorn:

Sorry, not a big fan of Oesterle. From what bits I've seen of him he reminds me of Schultz after chugging half a bottle of Nyquil.
Justin Schultz is Canadian by the way.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Reinhart will be a bust because of his slowness.

Like Draisaitl busted? I must of heard that argument about 1,000 times from Leafs fans, slow ass Draisaitl will never be a #1 center because he can't skate worth a damn. :sarcasm:

There is nothing so wrong with Reinhart's stride that a good skating coach can't help him fix it, he doesn't need to improve as much as Draisaitl either to be effective a 5-10% improvement in his skating would do wonders for his game. The most concerning thing to me about Reinhart is generally promising prospects will have made some notable strides during the season where they look like a much better player the last half of the season than the first half of the season, I haven't seen that from Reinhart yet.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Reinhart to me looked pretty good early on and then regressed... which isn't unusual either (sample size is tiny yet anyway).

I think he has good hockey iq... which really can't be taught so he's ahead in that department and the rest will come with more training, time and experience.

I don't think he'll be a bust.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Curious if they just rotate this position as I mentioned in the Nikitin thread last week. Give these guys all a shot at a NHL pay cheque and a chance to at the very least practice in the NHL.

Pressure

Real Talk
Aug 11, 2005
Edmonton

Me neither. Not a fan. Reminded me of Tom Gilbert too much. These soft defenceman with limited offensive potential kill me.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Considering he went to the wrong place to scout out Laine, I wouldn't be surprised if he got lost in another city while trying to travel there as well.

Talk about incompetence.

Need a MacT photoshop for "Dude where's my car?" Instead it's "Dude, where's Patrik Laine?"

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
Apparently so. I forgot who linked it, but it was on twitter. He was gonna scout Laine at a game, but went to the wrong place. Like seriously, how can a person be that incompetent and still have a job? As if our scouting hasn't been terrible for years, MacT not having a damn clue on where to scout Laine sure helps! :facepalm:

Didn't he go to the wrong freakin' country?

You da man, MacT.

Vagabond

Dec 24, 2004
Edmonton
Whoopty ******* do!

Chia better do what no other GM in this pathetic organization has done.. trade some gluttonous assets for much needed assets.

At least Oesterle wont look out of place playing with the current sad Defensive core. :laugh:

Last edited:

easternrefugee

Jun 24, 2013
Bakersfield, CA
Osterle as of late has been a really good offensive dman. In the past two games Hunt has disappeared.

Musil is actually a better dman than Osterle but less offensive. He is a good solid dman.

Reinhart is a total non factor here. He does not play physical and cannot make an outlet pass nor can he skate the puck out of the zone.

Today here in Bako we do not have dmen who can actually skate the puck. they all have to make a first shot either form behind the net or within a few feet once skating out. All of them have issues holding the puck in the offensive zone on a PP.

We are currently 0-20 on the PP. We tend to pass way too much and have little to zero secondary shots on goal.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Like Draisaitl busted? I must of heard that argument about 1,000 times from Leafs fans, slow ass Draisaitl will never be a #1 center because he can't skate worth a damn. :sarcasm:

There is nothing so wrong with Reinhart's stride that a good skating coach can't help him fix it, he doesn't need to improve as much as Draisaitl either to be effective a 5-10% improvement in his skating would do wonders for his game. The most concerning thing to me about Reinhart is generally promising prospects will have made some notable strides during the season where they look like a much better player the last half of the season than the first half of the season, I haven't seen that from Reinhart yet.

Draisaitl's improvement in speed from last season to this season was shocking. I can't recall a prospect who improved that much over an off-season.

If it was the skating coach in OKC, and he moved to Bako, that's great. I would think a big part of Drai's improvement was a ton of hard work.

Hopefully, Reinhart gets the same coaching and has the same work ethic.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad