Oilers now 13-12-1: THE THREAD THAT'S FUN FOR EVERYONE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calderon

Mar 24, 2006
Woodcroft lost the room
I wonder if there ever was any truth to this. One notable NHL podcaster (with no insider info) was claiming this, touting that McDavid was purposefully shitting the bed to get Woodcroft out. I thought the claim was ridiculous then and even more so now in the aftermath (I kept wondering why people refused to acknowledge McDavid was playing hurt). Nevertheless, once the thought was planted, I did ponder it a bit. To me it just seemed like mostly bad luck, coaching not being the issue.

McDavid at 38 points with 56 games remaining. Exactly 2.0 ppg the rest of the way gets him to even 150. Doable. Heck, even continuing with the current, flawed pace of 1.58 (as it includes a stretch playing hurt) would get him to 127, still his 2nd best total. If McDavid remains healthy for the rest of the regular season, ain't no Kucherov nor anybody else having a chance at Art Ross. As for any playoff success, though...

Reactions: Macheteops

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
Why would Vancouver not slow down? It would seem equally likely.

Edmonton has a 200 game sample size playing above .600 hockey.
Vancouver has slowed down bud. In fact many people pointed it out as they went on a win - lose -win - lose pattern and lost a game to sharks. They are starting to play better as they won the last 3. Sample size doesn't matter for this Canucks team, they are not the same team as 2 years ago if you hadn't noticed due to changing of coaches and players.

Pucklington

Expat in Germany.
Mar 24, 2008
Köln
Vancouver has slowed down bud. In fact many people pointed it out as they went on a win - lose -win - lose pattern and lost a game to sharks. They are starting to play better as they won the last 3. Sample size doesn't matter for this Canucks team, they are not the same team as 2 years ago if you hadn't noticed due to changing of coaches and players.

Are we buds?

I guess we have a full season to see what Vancouver is. They certainly look better, but assuming they are as good as their first 26 games while completely disregarding a team largely unchanged from last year... is naive.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
Their underlying numbers are still pretty average. I wouldn't count on half the forward core shooting 20% for the rest of the season.

This stuff is so basic now but fans of their favorite team always still get fooled. "My guy is different. 20% is the new level he found" etc. etc.

olafsson

Jun 18, 2017
Team will still barely squeak into the playoffs and proceed to be mopped in the first round.

Zerotonine

Apr 23, 2017
They way Knoblauch and Coffey have the team rolling... Definitely was the right call.

But ultimately Campbell and Skinner's early play lost Woodcroft his job. They lost the room by the end of the first period every night.
There were rumors that woodcroft was rubbing players the wrong way. Always chasing them down In hotels with a laptop to watch film and who knows what else. That could get tiresome real fast. I didn't mind woodcroft but I never liked listening to him talk for some reason lol

Last edited:
Reactions: Macheteops

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
1702477377340.png

Points percentage has us in a Wildcard spot. Don't worry, I'll post it again after the next game too! Antoher win and we'd have the points and points percentage to be in a wildcard spot.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
Team will still barely squeak into the playoffs and proceed to be mopped in the first round.

I'm willing to bet they still get 2nd in the Pacific, bumping Vancouver and LA down a spot, and they end up playing the Kings once again. They are in the EXACT same spot as they were last year. People tend to forget we go on a tear in the 2nd half of the season the last 3 years. Well, I'll let history speak for itself.

Reactions: soothsayer

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
I'm willing to bet they still get 2nd in the Pacific, bumping Vancouver and LA down a spot, and they end up playing the Kings once again. They are in the EXACT same spot as they were last year. People tend to forget we go on a tear in the 2nd half of the season the last 3 years. Well, I'll let history speak for itself.
LA and Vancouver would really have to tank for the Oilers to catch them, even though they're back at the pace from last year

last year, Oilers were only 5 points behind 2nd...this year it's 11 points (we do have games in hand though)

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
How much do you want to bet in a months times the Canucks are barely going to be hanging on to that lead ?

Great season by the Canucks and they are flying. The Oilers however look like they might not even lose another 10 games the rest of the season.

Reactions: TheOrangeDesk

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
This has been a great run but the Oilers are still stuck at mediocre. We have to keep winning. Or at least keep a high pace. If this season has taught us anything it's that we are very vulnerable to injury. Ekholm and McDavid get hobbled and the team goes from discussed as a contending favorite to a lottery team. Parity is intense in this league

Reactions: PuckG and bucks_oil

LuLover96

Feb 28, 2017
You can’t compare an elite basketball player’s impact to that of an elite hockey player. The basketball player simply impacts the game much more. They’re on the court greater than 75% of the game while the best hockey players are on the ice just over a third of the game. Also the Nuggets have a 15-25 record without Jokic over the last 6 seasons.

An NFL quarterback is an entirely different level of influence to that of even an elite NBA player. No team sport athlete can compare to the level influence an NFL quarterback has.
Soccer goalkeeper trumps all of them and it’s not close

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
So what is PP% on this streak? Have said the tipping point Oilers win vs lose is around 30%.

Guessing it's clicking pretty well again

Fsanford... here are some intriguing stats over this 8 game streak, so pick your poison:

Goals for: 38 or 4.75/game = 1st in NHL
Goals against: 13 or 1.625 = 1st in NHL (your Kings are tied for 2nd)
PK% = 96.2% = 1st in NHL
SA/game
= 26.4 = 5th in NHL

And yes...
PP% = 44% = 1st in NHL

Take away the Oilers 11 power play goals and they are still outscoring the opponents by a margin of >2:1

But sure... it's all power play.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
44%... 6% higher than second, Dallas who's only .500 team since Nov 23, and 14.4.% higher than 3rd place rangers.

Are also second in PK%, 96.2%, with the flyers at 96.4%. 3rd place being 91.7%.

Their GF/g is first, 4.75, to Detroit's 4.1. Their GA/g is 1st with 1.63, to Jets 1.75.

Nice... curious... where did you grab your stats. NHL.com is all kinds of messed up these days (is it only me, or why don't I see people complaining about this... the text is white on light grey alternating lines with white on white)...

I had to search google and found statmuse had them tied on PK% with Philly

TEAM GP W L T OTL PTS PTS% G GA PP% PK% S/GP SA/GP
Edmonton Oilers logoEdmonton Oilers8 8 0 0 0 16 1.000 38 13 44.0 96.2 33.38 26.38
Philadelphia Flyers logoPhiladelphia Flyers8 5 1 0 2 12 .750 20 18 15.8 96.2 35.25 30.75
Carolina Hurricanes logoCarolina Hurricanes8 3 4 0 1 7 .438 25 24 25.0 95.7 35.38 25.75
Florida Panthers logoFlorida Panthers8 5 2 0 1 11 .688 27 17 25.0 90.0 34.13 25.38

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
You probably won't catch van. They have 3 players in top 10 for points, 1 player for tops in goals, 2 top defenseman in top 10 for points and a goalie in top 10. Even with Foilers fans and rest of HFboard praying for Canucks to collapse, they haven't and that is with injuries to Soucy and Suter the top PKers. Good luck catching them. Oilers will eventually slow down too. They won't win every game and will need to start Campbell at some point or risk Skinner to injury

Umm... Campbell is in the AHL. Pickard played last game against New Jersey... he let in 1.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Soccer goalkeeper trumps all of them and it’s not close

As a former soccer goalie, I am surprised by this... what's your metrics/stats for this? There are so few shots on goal...

It's not that I disagree, but when most of what you do is coach your defensive structure such that chances don't even happen... how do you capture that in stats and attribute it to the goalkeeper vs the team itself?

snag

Feb 22, 2014
I wonder if there ever was any truth to this. One notable NHL podcaster (with no insider info) was claiming this, touting that McDavid was purposefully shitting the bed to get Woodcroft out. I thought the claim was ridiculous then and even more so now in the aftermath (I kept wondering why people refused to acknowledge McDavid was playing hurt). Nevertheless, once the thought was planted, I did ponder it a bit. To me it just seemed like mostly bad luck, coaching not being the issue.

McDavid at 38 points with 56 games remaining. Exactly 2.0 ppg the rest of the way gets him to even 150. Doable. Heck, even continuing with the current, flawed pace of 1.58 (as it includes a stretch playing hurt) would get him to 127, still his 2nd best total. If McDavid remains healthy for the rest of the regular season, ain't no Kucherov nor anybody else having a chance at Art Ross. As for any playoff success, though...

It is ridiculous. McDavid doesn't need to shit the bed to get his way, nor as a competitor would he. All he had to do is pick up the phone. How can they be a notable podcaster without knowing that lol

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad