Oilers now 13-12-1: THE THREAD THAT'S FUN FOR EVERYONE

Status
Not open for further replies.

WestCoast CyberG

Nov 5, 2018
This entire thread started out as an Oiler troll job, and now you're crying to your mama "they started it!"

I've been trying to follow your "pace" argument in this thread, in which you refuse to account for any recent trends, historical trends, underlying numbers or points percentage while occasionally throwing in this insincere "I actually enjoy watching the Oilers".

Maybe if you go into an Oiler thread trash talking the Oilers, expect some flippin' blowback going forward.
Except I haven’t trash talked…all I’ve suggested is too many loses means they may not have enough points. That’s all.
The pace “argument” is a nothing burger since you didn’t understand the original reference.

I honestly don’t understand the hostility. Just relax man, it’s a hockey fan site you seem to take this way too seriously! Cheers. .

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
I think batman says something similar the all I am surrounded by is fear
The Batman Begins is after he beats up 5 guys that jump him.

"Solitary"
"Why!?"
"Its for protection"
"I don't need protection"
"Protection for them"

Something close to that, I havent seen it in a few years.

WestCoast CyberG

Nov 5, 2018
We were just pushing back against your dishonest/weird pace argument.
It wasn’t weird nor dishonest:

Oilers are currently on pace for an 82 point season.
Oilers have 24 points - if they play .600 hockey the rest of the year they would have 92-93 points.
A full season at .600 is 98 points as you suggested.

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
The Oilers still need improvements in some areas but I would say this is the best all around hockey the Oilers have ever played in the McDavid era. I have seen this team win 5 or 6 in a row a number of times not even playing good hockey so it is not just about the winning. It is likely the best 4 line game, best overall defensively, and most consistent 60 minute play they have been able to get for a stretch of games that I have seen. I believe even with no coaching change the Oilers would have still started winning games just because of McDavid alone but I have to give the new coaches Knoblach and Coffey credit. Although it is only 12 games, I have seen some fundamental changes to the Oilers overall game I have not seen any other coach be able to to get out of this team for a reasonable stretch of games. Hopefully it continues because it is a good foundation of play that if they do add some improvements at some point this season it will make them a much better playoff team.

Reactions: 5 14 6 1

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
The Oilers still need improvements in some areas but I would say this is the best all around hockey the Oilers have ever played in the McDavid era. I have seen this team win 5 or 6 in a row a number of times not even playing good hockey so it is not just about the winning. It is likely the best 4 line game, best overall defensively, and most consistent 60 minute play they have been able to get for a stretch of games that I have seen. I believe even with no coaching change the Oilers would have still started winning games just because of McDavid alone but I have to give the new coaches Knoblach and Coffey credit. Although it is only 12 games, I have seen some fundamental changes to the Oilers overall game I have not seen any other coach be able to to get out of this team for a reasonable stretch of games. Hopefully it continues because it is a good foundation of play that if they do add some improvements at some point this season it will make them a much better playoff team.
Didn't they end last season on like a 17-1 heater?

Reactions: RegDunlop

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Didn't they end last season on like a 17-1 heater?
Stylistically the team is playing more sustainable hockey now. Even during last year’s streak, fans would clench when the puck was coming into the Oilers zone because of the potential for major defensive breakdowns.

That kind of clenching isn’t occurring anymore.

Knoblauch and Coffey have made a real difference.

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
Just keep this thread open until the playoffs. If we're in (Oilers) then we bash all of you. If not we go sheepishly into the night (summer)

Dust

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 20, 2016
It wasn’t weird nor dishonest:

Oilers are currently on pace for an 82 point season.
Oilers have 24 points - if they play .600 hockey the rest of the year they would have 92-93 points.
A full season at .600 is 98 points as you suggested.

I haven't followed this entire thread, but they were a .667 team last year and .634 the year before. I bet they play somewhere in the middle of those two the rest of the year.

Reactions: Oilhawks

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I agree with some aspects such as trading chances and "pond hockey" style of play but lets not forget that players could literally tackle players with one arm without getting a penalty...just go watch the 1987 Stanley Cup Finals (Oilers vs Flyers), it's amazing with what blueliners could get away with back then.

“1987 Stanley Cup Finals (Oilers bs Flyers)”

Ahhh so that’s why you exist. It’s been 36 years, time to let it go dude.

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
Did you even watch the Oilers in the 6-1 win vs Carolina? Carolina had nothing going for them. They were out-matched most of that game. Yes, Goaltending for them sucks. But it wasn't only that for them. Their whole team was struggling. The team that had the best opportunities against the Oilers in those 7 wins, were Vegas and New Jersey, but even so, we shut them down when we needed to, and we won. This isn't just a flash in the pan. I've never seen the Oilers be so dominant in every aspect of the game. Even when they got the 4th line out, they are hard to maintain. This is a solid team effort. No more relying on McDavid or the Powerplay.
yeah Oilers looked good but they're flying high now and its like game 25 of the regular season.
This is just my opinion so dont be offended but i dont think the Oilers have the structure or mentality/culture to carry them through the playoffs. Carolina is more steady eddy in general and game 5,6,7 of playoffs are not the same as game 25 of the regular season.
Oilers are fickle and i think that when things go wrong for them, it really spirals.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Less seriously than Seattle?
The Oilers are the team I take the least serious. I don't think they deserve another superstar until they have everything figured out.

I'd say Toronto but they do look promising this year, I'm talking so promising that I could totally see them making the conference finals this year. I also make these because I pull up my quotes if people are saying I'm being biased.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad