Oiler's Media Anti-Yakupov?

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards

czar99

Nov 19, 2008
Shultz'z Place
Jeff Friesen is the perfect example of this. Don Cherry loved him and would go on about him being a "good ol' Canadian kid". The guy was as dumb as bricks and a jerk to boot. His interviews were hilariously awful. I was just waiting for him to say something like "Me play hockey, me shoot puck"...Total caveman.

Lmfao!

KneeOnKnee

Jun 14, 2007
Alberta
You notice how yaks keeps looking over at Terry Jones during Rexall interview, looked to me like he was showing disdain towards him and knew that Jumbo was taking runs at him. Edmonton media need to settle down and quit acting like babies, Or at least wait until Yakapov speaks better English so he can express himself better.

Eytinge

Jul 25, 2009
Have you guys seen the CP forum? It makes me mad just reading all of the trash talk. Hopefully our team can take a big step this year to shut them up a bit
Why do you guys read CP? Do you enjoy making yourself mad? Everyone knows what that forum's agenda is, they truly believe in Feaster and his "plan" whatever it is.
Tight-lipped Nail Yakupov of world juniors becomes gregarious on arrival at Edmonton Oilers skate

http://www.edmontonsun.com/2013/01/...regarious-on-arrival-at-edmonton-oilers-skate
wtf is up with Terry Jones. Stop trying to lead a hate parade on Nail. :shakehead

Eytinge

Jul 25, 2009
"Me get pucks deep. Me finish checks!"
Don Cherry: Atta boy Jeff! What a good lad right there, all Irishmen are!
You notice how yaks keeps looking over at Terry Jones during Rexall interview, looked to me like he was showing disdain towards him and knew that Jumbo was taking runs at him. Edmonton media need to settle down and quit acting like babies, Or at least wait until Yakapov speaks better English so he can express himself better.
I don't blame him. Like someone said, he should give Terry one word answers for the rest of the year.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
Don Cherry: Atta boy Jeff! What a good lad right there, all Irishmen are!

I don't blame him. Like someone said, he should give Terry one word answers for the rest of the year.

or just say "why you ask me that?" over and over then just go about his business, maybe it will teach that fat slob not to be such a dild to the young players and set his personal agenda aside.

Ogopogo*

Why do you guys read CP? Do you enjoy making yourself mad? Everyone knows what that forum's agenda is, they truly believe in Feaster and his "plan" whatever it is.

wtf is up with Terry Jones. Stop trying to lead a hate parade on Nail. :shakehead

Jones is a pompous ass much of the time. If Nail didn't want to talk to the media in Russia, he believes it is his job to knock him down a peg. :help:

Last edited by a moderator:

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
Jim Matheson (@nhlbymatty) directly questioned his character after he didn't talk to the Canadian media following Russia's round robin loss to Canada at the WJC.

Wasn't it team Russia brass that is telling the kids to shut up and not talk to the media? Seems like I head similar complaints last year.

In a very short tournament they wanted these guys focused and a team and not doing the dog and pony show for another country. Now, let's take a look at where Canada and Russia placed in the WJC the last few years....
...yeah, you know what, seems to be working....

* His dad was born in 70? Oh god, I'm a late '73 (just hit 39) and I was thinking I'm almost old enough to have kids starting in this league. I'll be shuffling off with my walker now....

Last edited:

AJGass4

Aug 19, 2011
I love this kid more and more. His interview was great and you cannot tell me he doesn't want to play here and put in an effort that others could follow.

I think we have a friendly dressng room and there is no one in there that would make him feel unwelcome.

Loved his comment to Jones, kids got some wit in him.

undertow

Sep 26, 2007
i liked when he repreated the line a couple times to jones face because the fat head wouldnt stop and laugh for a sec, just plowed threw the funny to repeat his question.

Wheatking

Sep 25, 2006

That article by Jones was very passive aggressive. He wrote an article about how Yakupov didn't speak while playing for Russia without REALLY writing an article about how he didn't speak while playing for Russia. Let it go, old man...

Is it really a compliment if you're basically saying "about a month ago he was a primadonna and a spoiled brat...but today he was good"?

Alex87

May 26, 2008
Edmonton
So. Creepy. And at the end when he asked about his family and Yakupov asked why he wanted to know, Jones was all "I'M A REPORTER!" with a dumbfounded look on his face. God!

LMAO, it was funny how indignant Jones' response was, when the chances of him writing an article on the arrival of Yakupov's parents is basically nil. He was just being nosy.

Wheatking

Sep 25, 2006
It was kinda hard to understand what he was saying but when talking about Smyth it seemed like he noticed that even though Smyth is one of the "top dogs" in the locker room, he talks to the young players. He said something along the lines of "he doesn't act like a king". I think that might be something that makes the NHL much different from the KHL. We saw in Russia that his coach had no problem bashing him in the media and even his linemates seemed a little reluctant to pass him the puck. You really have to pay your dues there. On the Oilers the majority of the veterans and definitely the coaches will be much more willing to guide him.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
It was kinda hard to understand what he was saying but when talking about Smyth it seemed like he noticed that even though Smyth is one of the "top dogs" in the locker room, he talks to the young players. He said something along the lines of "he doesn't act like a king". I think that might be something that makes the NHL much different from the KHL. We saw in Russia that his coach had no problem bashing him in the media and even his linemates seemed a little reluctant to pass him the puck. You really have to pay your dues there. On the Oilers the majority of the veterans and definitely the coaches will be much more willing to guide him.

i actually was thinking the same thing about the smyth part but once he finished talking you could tell he was trying to say that he's an older guy who is just like one of the young guys, he isn't above anyone and told me if i need anything let him know. No surprise just ryan being a leader and team guy just like he has always been.

some of those vets are just solid people like that. i always think about kris draper and that one time when the chick screwed up the national athem and then she waxed on the ice. I still laugh when i see that clip (immaturity i know) but the look on his face and how quick he was to help her up and tell her it was ok dont worry about it just shows the kind of people they are. I think Smyth is of the exact same mold and a good person to have around. Also i bet ryan tells the story of the time he held out for a few hundred thousand more $'s and the next day he was on a plane to long island. I hope that sinks in with the kids as they get older.

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
some of those vets are just solid people like that. i always think about kris draper and that one time when the chick screwed up the national athem and then she waxed on the ice. I still laugh when i see that clip (immaturity i know) but the look on his face and how quick he was to help her up and tell her it was ok dont worry about it just shows the kind of people they are.

Dammit now I will have that memory in my head all day :laugh:

oilersrule14

May 13, 2003
Visit site
Whoa, I think some of you are reading way too much into Jones' questions lol. He uses all those 'contentious' questions he asks in the little video on the Sun's site.

He obviously wanted a more personal spin, with the where he's staying, when's his family coming in questions. Absolutely nothing wrong with that, and he posed all those questions in a polite tone.

And you probably will see an article about Nail's family when they get here...they wrote one about them in development camp as well. That's what people like to hear, the man's just doing his job.

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
Whoa, I think some of you are reading way too much into Jones' questions lol. He uses all those 'contentious' questions he asks in the little video on the Sun's site.

He obviously wanted a more personal spin, with the where he's staying, when's his family coming in questions. Absolutely nothing wrong with that, and he posed all those questions in a polite tone.

And you probably will see an article about Nail's family when they get here...they wrote one about them in development camp as well. That's what people like to hear, the man's just doing his job.

Yeah but when you ask a guy a question and he's clearly uncomfortable answering it you don't need to push. Yakupov tried to move along from that question like 3 times and Jones kept grilling him.

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
His questions were one step away from "does this smell like chloroform?"

WeridAl

YuckaFlux
Jan 30, 2012
10ft of Snow
Is the Media anti-Yakupov I'm not sure, but some do think Yakupov isn't a good fit for the Oilers. Especially with the possible KHL situation. I'm not a Yakupov fan, and never have been. He was only drafted, because he was the best player out there, and not what the Oilers needed, and they definitely did not need another small highly skilled winger.

Turrican*

Is the Media anti-Yakupov I'm not sure, but some do think Yakupov isn't a good fit for the Oilers. Especially with the possible KHL situation. I'm not a Yakupov fan, and never have been. He was only drafted, because he was the best player out there, and not what the Oilers needed, and they definitely did not need another small highly skilled winger.

Same size and weight as Datsyuk I think.
And he hits too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad