Oiler's Media Anti-Yakupov?

Johnny McBravo

Hello Connor
May 28, 2010
Canada
Over the past month or so, it seems like the media hate has skyrocketed when it comes to Nail Yakupov. Sadly, most of the hateful comments are coming from Edmonton based media.

Imo, it seems like some of the Oiler media is trying to make Yak coldhearted.

I'm sure most of you have already noticed this, but I want to have a discussion on this matter.:)

The Perfect Human*

I think he's a relative unknown for the media at this point, and seeing as how they're mostly a conservative bunch, they're not likely to be a fan of his boisterous cocky attitude until he backs it up on the ice.

He's not a good-old "aw shucks" type of Canadian boy like Ebs/RNH, and although Hall's got a bit of flare he's nothing compared to Yakupov's attitude. Let's re-assess this in late February after we've seen a few games.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
The Oilers winning, and Yakupov being a big part of that, will shut up the media.

Turrican*

Gf told me that on the Oiler facebook page, there are a bunch of stupid rednecks getting uppity at his "dirty Canadians" comment.

Christ, you want to run the kid out of town already?

Wheatking

Sep 25, 2006
The media needs to be fed and if you're not giving them anything, you're useless.

Everyone loved Yakupov at rookie camp when he was giving them good quotes. Or when they were able to quote his twitter page. Then he doesn't speak at the WJC and they turn on him. Then he takes his time coming to Edmonton(RNH still isn't in town) and now he's really in hot water.

He'll open his mouth, give them a few great quotes(probably while not even meaning to) and they'll love him again.

Towmater14

Sep 17, 2005
OIL COUNTRY
I find the younger media members are fine with him. It's the dinosaurs that have the issue. It makes me mad how they are crying about him not doing an interview with the Canadian media. Why would he, all they did was spin his interview and make him enemy number one when he did, and of course the sheep part time fans all jumped on the bandwagon.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
gene and yak are going to be awesome,

Gene "so another 3 goal game from the oilers rookie, is it fair to say now you got a Yak-Trick?"

Nail "I have come here to score goals, i dont like the flames of calgary"

then everyone loves hmi and hugs him in the media

Wheatking

Sep 25, 2006
I find the younger media members are fine with him. It's the dinosaurs that have the issue. It makes me mad how they are crying about him not doing an interview with the Canadian media. Why would he, all they did was spin his interview and make him enemy number one when he did, and of course the sheep part time fans all jumped on the bandwagon.

Yakupov could have handled that differently just to do himself a favor. I remember Paajarvi took a shot at Canada at the WJC's as well. He didn't make any apologies or deny saying it. He just kinda said he didn't think people would be so offended and that was the end of it.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
Gene: well oiler fans werent sure how Yakupov would handle his first nhl game but it would be safe to say he "Nail"ed-it

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Yakupov could have handled that differently just to do himself a favor. I remember Paajarvi took a shot at Canada at the WJC's as well. He didn't make any apologies or deny saying it. He just kinda said he didn't think people would be so offended and that was the end of it.

meh... I would rather listen to Yakupovs, Ovechkins and Bryzgalovs then the pre programmed answers from the rest of the players.

Yakupov will be speking his mind far too often here.. The media better get used to that and not be offended... It will only take Yakupov 2 words to get back in the good book of EDM fans.. 'Flames suck'

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
The media needs to be fed and if you're not giving them anything, you're useless.

Everyone loved Yakupov at rookie camp when he was giving them good quotes. Or when they were able to quote his twitter page. Then he doesn't speak at the WJC and they turn on him. Then he takes his time coming to Edmonton(RNH still isn't in town) and now he's really in hot water.

He'll open his mouth, give them a few great quotes(probably while not even meaning to) and they'll love him again.

really? dude is coming from eastern Russia! it's not easy for a kid his age to travel across the world in a matter of days

lockout was over Sunday night (his time)...he arrived Wednesday night our time...thats fast to me

he was here the same day Petry, Whitney and Smyth...all of whom are in North America (maybe not Smyth I guess)
before captain Horc and RNH...who got back earlier then Yak

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Can anyone give me some examples of the Edmonton media being anti Nail? Facebook and twitter spam doesn't count.

Edit: Neither does blogspam.

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
meh... I would rather listen to Yakupovs, Ovechkins and Bryzgalovs then the pre programmed answers from the rest of the players.

Yakupov will be speking his mind far too often here.. The media better get used to that and not be offended... It will only take Yakupov 2 words to get back in the good book of EDM fans.. 'Flames suck'

A lot of Russian people are like that. If they don't like you they tell you straight to your face, not like the standard Wal-mart greetings Canadians use.

Reimer

Tambo Troll Face
Jan 19, 2006
I don't know who's been negative but Gregor and Nielson have said nothing but the opposite of what the negative fan comments have been.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Why do they get a pass for their twitter accounts?

I don't think we're on the same page. What I am asking for is links to actual articles/tweets from real journalists that are negative about Nail. Idiot fans who spam the Oilers/players facebook/twitter accounts, don't matter. And neither do most bloggers.

McLotto 97

Believe in 13.5%
Mar 14, 2011
Edmonton
Nail is here before many others. This kid could give us that dynamic 1 -2 scoring punch we have been waiting for. This could be a very exciting year.

Groucho

Tier 1 Fan
Aug 17, 2010
Displaced
gene and yak are going to be awesome,

Gene "so another 3 goal game from the oilers rookie, is it fair to say now you got a Yak-Trick?"

Nail "I have come here to score goals, i dont like the flames of calgary"

then everyone loves hmi and hugs him in the media

This is literally (figuratively) all it will take

Groucho

Tier 1 Fan
Aug 17, 2010
Displaced
I don't think we're on the same page. What I am asking for is links to actual articles/tweets from real journalists that are negative about Nail. Idiot fans who spam the Oilers/players facebook/twitter accounts, don't matter. And neither do most bloggers.

Jim Matheson (@nhlbymatty) directly questioned his character after he didn't talk to the Canadian media following Russia's round robin loss to Canada at the WJC.

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
Because he's not a good ol' Canadian farm boy.

I'm sure they'll learn to love him when they realize that he's great for a quote.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad