Oiler's Media Anti-Yakupov?

Sloth Slothersons*

I think Subban is a wonderful player.

Only way we consider subban for yak is if we also swap gags for gal

Even then... Neither organization does it.

I would do Yak and Gags for Subban and Gally in a second

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Well, said coach is out of a job. As far as his teammates, show me something where one of them has indicated that he's poor in the room - and we can discuss it.

The coach is out of a job because he doesn't speak French. Not because he benched Subvan for playing a selfish style. His firing was widely criticized by real media people. I guess by the same "logic" Rob Shremp should be a NHL star by now because all his former NHL coaches have been fired

Find me any quote from a player criticizing a current teammate. It pretty much never happens. Avery and Pitkanen are the only two recent players i can think of, doesnt mean they are the only two bad teamsted in the last 10 years in the league. Ill take his teammates punching him in the face and not defending him when he is benched as proof enough.

Last edited:

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
The coach is out of a job because he doesn't speak French. Not because he benched Subvan for playing a selfish style. His firing was widely criticized by real media people. Fund me any quote from a player criticizing a current teammate. It pretty much never happens. Avery and Pitkanen are the only two recent players i can think of, doesnt mean they are the only two bad teamsted in the last 10 years in the league. Ill take his teammates punching him in the face and not defending him when he is benched as proof enough.

Truth ^

flarwick

Dec 31, 2009
Edmonton
The coach is out of a job because he doesn't speak French. Not because he benched Subvan for playing a selfish style. His firing was widely criticized by real media people. Fund me any quote from a player criticizing a current teammate. It pretty much never happens. Avery and Pitkanen are the only two recent players i can think of, doesnt mean they are the only two bad teamsted in the last 10 years in the league. Ill take his teammates punching him in the face and not defending him when he is benched as proof enough.

You've never played a game of anything with friends/teammates and gotten upset?! If not, it would make sense as to why you can't relate to something like that.

As far as him getting benched for being selfish - he averaged the 18th highest TOI among all defensemen in the league, the benching was obviously a one-off. And, as said you couldn't find a quote of a player criticizing another player, I'm sure it will be just as difficult to find a quote of a player criticizing a coach for benching his teammate.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
You've never played a game of anything with friends/teammates and gotten upset?! If not, it would make sense as to why you can't relate to something like that.

As far as him getting benched for being selfish - he averaged the 18th highest TOI among all defensemen in the league, the benching was obviously a one-off. And, as said you couldn't find a quote of a player criticizing another player, I'm sure it will be just as difficult to find a quote of a player criticizing a coach for benching his teammate.

I've gotten upset with them but I never punched them in the face.

He didnt play when he got benched. Therefore it didnt effect his average TOI per game lol. The benching was to send him a message. He played a better, less selfish game after it. Obviously the message was received.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
This isn't a thread about Subban or the Habs coaching moves.

No but when the Canadian/Edmonton media is trying to portray him as a selfish kid/not a fit here, it isnt unreasonable to compare him to other young players on Canadian teams who have been portrayed in the same fashion. Especially considering Yakupov has done nothing to deserve it and Subban has.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
No but when the Canadian/Edmonton media is trying to portray him as a selfish kid/not a fit here, it isnt unreasonable to compare him to other young players on Canadian teams who have been portrayed in the same fashion. Especially considering Yakupov has done nothing to deserve it and Subban has.

Bringing up a comparison to flesh out an argument is fine. But when it threatens to derail a thread it needs to be reined in.

WeridAl

YuckaFlux
Jan 30, 2012
10ft of Snow

Yakupov hasn't deserved some of this negative feedback.:banghead: Where have you been, tinbucktoo. What I've seen, Yakupov's biggest enemy is his mouth. Also what I saw and heard is that he is too much of a individualist, tries to do everything himself. The biggest difference between Subban and Yakupov is that Subban doesn't have the KHL and mother Russia to threaten with. I would also question Yakupov's agent, there hasn't been some nice things being said about him and the games he plays.

flarwick

Dec 31, 2009
Edmonton
Yakupov hasn't deserved some of this negative feedback.:banghead: Where have you been, tinbucktoo. What I've seen, Yakupov's biggest enemy is his mouth. Also what I saw and heard is that he is too much of a individualist, tries to do everything himself. The biggest difference between Subban and Yakupov is that Subban doesn't have the KHL and mother Russia to threaten with. I would also question Yakupov's agent, there hasn't been some nice things being said about him and the games he plays.

Oh my.

Terry Jones, Cam Cole and Jim Matheson are more powerful than I thought!

Has Horcoff been bitten by that radioactive spider yet or what?!?

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012

How is his mouth his enemy? How do you know the WJC Yakupov is the one we're getting and not the KHL/Sarnia one? When has he threatened to go back to Russia/KHL? What's been said about his agent and what are the supposed games he plays?

BadMedicine*

I agree that Nail has recieved a designed intentional series of negative reports by Edmonton and internet scribes ,particularly David Staples of the Edmonton Journal and Oilersnation blogsite.Review his work and you will see a pattern designed to generate attention the good olde fashioned traditional media way,by BSing enough to cause a controversy,Mr.staples has help as well from a few cyber-posters true to his general cause.

David Staples double dips,he is part of mainstream media and he is active in cyberspace blogging,so he falls back behind the merits of either traditional media or internet media,useing and defending each conduit for his own ends.He recently posted a rant in the Edmonton Journal vilifieing internet posters as being something lesser than himself in general.Funny this coming from someone who is not only playing both sides but has the nerve to negatively critique the thousands of contributors to the wonderful cyber data related posts about hockey we all share everywhere on the net.

Yes there has been calculated contrived controversy surrounding Yakupov,instigated by people trying to secure long term article potential,like a long term investment.Several Edmonton writers who are involved in Mainstream media through newspapers and also are heavily vested in cyberspace through blogging work together,these guys are self supporting ---they ping pong their own brand of analysis back and forth self-substanciating themselves through each other.Its called playing both sides of the fence and if you worked in traditional media with its dwindeling audience and reach you might stir the pot to keep those paydays coming to.

I love that Nail speaks his mind, he has an awsome sense of humor , he always shows great respect for the stars of the game ,we havent even gotten a chance to know him and he is so young he is still learning who he wants to be,he doesnt need to be pigion holed by lazy writers who try to generate their own sensationalism.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario

How much did you watch Yakupov in Sarnia? Did you follow much of what was said about him before the draft? If you did then you saw a player that simply does not fit the description you give.

I watched a lot of Yakupov in Sarnia in both 2010-2011 and 2011-2012, and individualist is the last word I would ever put on this kid, especially if the context of the description is to call him selfish or question his ability to be a team player. He celebrates as much when a team mate scores as he does when he scores himself.

From his Sarnia's Assistant GM:

Nail along with Alex Galchenyuk are two of the hardest working players off the ice I have seen in my 12 years with the Sting. He is constantly working on his game be it on the ice or in the gym constantly wanting to get better. In the dressing room he is a true character. Easily one of the more popular players among his teammates. He has two distinct sides to him. When it comes to hockey he is all business but outside of the game he is one of the more engaging personalities I have come across in my time in junior hockey.”

In the same article Brendan Ross of THW states:

“The passion and drive that Yakupov displays on a nightly basis is his most admirable quality. On nights where Yakupov has to earn every point and play through frustration he still competes with every inch he has. When Yakupov’s teammates score, he celebrates like he did the scoring. When Yakupov earns an assist, he celebrates like it was his first ever assist. And, when Yakupov does the scoring, he celebrates like he will never score again.”

http://thehockeywriters.com/nail-yakupov-profile/

I honestly have no idea why anyone in the local media or on here is questioning his character. He has done absolutely nothing to deserve it. In fact just the opposite. The kid has been a breath of fresh air.

Johnny McBravo

Hello Connor
May 28, 2010
Canada

There is so much wrong with this post:shakehead

Towmater14

Sep 17, 2005
OIL COUNTRY
Just curious..... Where exactly is Tinbucktoo?

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton

Did his "dirty Canadians" comment rub you the wrong way or something? Everything you have said in this post is contradictory to what I've seen and heard about Yakupov, particularly the KHL and Mother Russia routine you attempted to use.

Nice try though.

Try harder next time.

McArthur

May 26, 2010
Hockey Heart Land
gene and yak are going to be awesome,

Gene "so another 3 goal game from the oilers rookie, is it fair to say now you got a Yak-Trick?"

Nail "I have come here to score goals, i dont like the flames of calgary"

then everyone loves hmi and hugs him in the media

"I come here to play hockey and our team play good. I had good super before game with myself in locker room to get ready, so I am ready for game. When I play today, I feel sorry for goalie. He played alright, but probably doesn't want picture of my hockey stick. Have you seen my hockey stick? The team take picture of my hockey stick lots, so that's pretty good. I played with Nuge and he also has good hockey stick". "But Nail, we asked if your sister was a model....."

Gloss233

Jul 17, 2010
Edmonton
Did his "dirty Canadians" comment rub you the wrong way or something? Everything you have said in this post is contradictory to what I've seen and heard about Yakupov, particularly the KHL and Mother Russia routine you attempted to use.

Nice try though.

Try harder next time.

I just can't believe all the nationalism that came from one stupid comment especially when its true . I am Canadian and we do play physical and alot of the time we throw some dirty hits .Why would anyone turn on there own players just for such a lame reason. Also just because a guy is Russian doesn't mean he is going to leave to play in Russia. How many Russians are in the league now? ,how many of the young Russian players went over there, other then Radulov . So why would you want to trade our first overall pick before he even plays one game? Also for subban who is a great player but from what i heard on the radio wants 4 years 29 million . There is no way worth 7.75 a year how would we keep the rest of our team signed if the cap falls?

molsonmuscle360

Jan 25, 2009
Ft. McMurray Ab
So now it's bloggers and fans opinion that determine if he is a good fit/teammate, not coaches and teammates.

Have you ever heard a coach or teammate of PK's say he was anything other than a good teammate? Because I haven't. I never heard any kind of stuff like that about him at any point in his career. Getting into skirmishes in practice shows passion for the game, and that he takes it very seriously in all situations. I'd rather have a guy who shows fire in practice then some guy who chills out and screws around a lot

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Have you ever heard a coach or teammate of PK's say he was anything other than a good teammate? Because I haven't. I never heard any kind of stuff like that about him at any point in his career. Getting into skirmishes in practice shows passion for the game, and that he takes it very seriously in all situations. I'd rather have a guy who shows fire in practice then some guy who chills out and screws around a lot

I already answered this. Besides th thread isn't about PK.

eS7

Dec 22, 2011
Saskatchewan
"I come here to play hockey and our team play good. I had good super before game with myself in locker room to get ready, so I am ready for game. When I play today, I feel sorry for goalie. He played alright, but probably doesn't want picture of my hockey stick. Have you seen my hockey stick? The team take picture of my hockey stick lots, so that's pretty good. I played with Nuge and he also has good hockey stick". "But Nail, we asked if your sister was a model....."

Haha :laugh:

....is she?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad