Post-Game Talk: Oilers lose 3-2 in OT to San Jose

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Just to add to that.

Lucic-McDavid-Pulju have a 5.55 GF/60 in ~65 minutes together.

Can anyone come up with a reasonable explanation for this because I still can't. This line starts the game against Arizona or Toronto (can't remember which one) and within 3 or 4 minutes into the game Eberle replaces Puljujarvi on the top line. This came after Jesse puts up 4 points in 4 or 5 games on that line while getting no PP time. Absolutely mind boggling why he changed this line in the early minutes of that game.

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
Can anyone come up with a reasonable explanation for this because I still can't. This line starts the game against Arizona or Toronto (can't remember which one) and within 3 or 4 minutes into the game Eberle replaces Puljujarvi on the top line. This came after Jesse puts up 4 points in 4 or 5 games on that line while getting no PP time. Absolutely mind boggling why he changed this line in the early minutes of that game.

This might singlehandedly be the reason the oilers don't make the playoffs if he keeps this up. Mindboggling and frustrating. Lucic must have caught him doing something.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
In general it's an effective pairing, but I wouldn't mind breaking it up.

I could see Klefbom-Sekera being really effective together, same with Davidson-Larsson as another solid pairing, one that could draw a bit more offence out of Larsson.

It's a pity Nurse went down when he did, as he and Larsson seemed to work well together.

Klefbom-Sekera
Nurse-Larsson
Davidson-Russell
Gryba

I like it. With Letestu stepping up, that need for RH PP option has gone down.

I actually think Russell-Sekera has been our most consistent pairing but I agree about Nurse and Larsson. I'd try..

Nurse - Larsson
Sekera - Russell
Klefbom - Davidson

That's a solid defense. Too bad about Nurse.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016

JP was the recipient of some easy points. He looks lost half the time and handles the puck like a live grenade. He also is weak on the puck and is overwhelmed in the offensive zone.

Aside from a good play he made in the neutral zone, none of his points were that deliberate.

Like Yak, people want to equate points with success, but that is not the case. I'm sure the coaches recognize that also. Unlike Yak he really does have a grasp on how to backcheck, but his positioning, forecheck and puck skills are lacking going the other way

Watching players like Laine, Matthews and Tkachuk, you can really see their maturity is miles above JP right now. Some argue that it is b/c they are being given top line minutes. Not even close. Their games are actually that much better....right now anyway
JP is not a player ready for top line minutes, and we are lucky that our coaches recognize that

Last edited:

Mcnofool6110

Re-defining Rock Bottom since '07
Dec 7, 2011
Sydney
Maroon-McDavid-Khaira
Lucic-RNH-Eberle
Pouliot-Draisaitl-Puljujarvi
Hendricks-GOAT-Kassian
Lander/Slaphappy

I'd love to see this lineup, Khaira up in the bigs on that first line

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
Team will have a lot of rest coming out of xmas break better then most teams looking forward to a 4 game winning streak

TypeSly

Jan 29, 2010
Wayne Gretzky Drive
Put Eberle with McDavid, McDavid stops producing. Take Eberle off, he produces again. Put Eberle on, McDavid stops producing. Take Eberle off, he starts producing again.

Anyone else notice a pattern here? I'm glad TMac finally noticed. Let's hope it stays that way. :handclap:

rickysusedsht

Feb 25, 2015
Home of your Prince Albert Raiders
Maroon-McDavid-Khaira
Lucic-RNH-Eberle
Pouliot-Draisaitl-Puljujarvi
Hendricks-GOAT-Kassian
Lander/Slaphappy

I'd love to see this lineup, Khaira up in the bigs on that first line
That looks pretty good i would really like to bring back up lander and bring Khaira with him. He has got to be ready by now, going to have to give him a good shot here at some point

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
JP was the recipient of some easy points. He looks lost half the time and handles the puck like a live grenade. He also is weak on the puck and is overwhelmed in the offensive zone.

Aside from a good play he made in the neutral zone, none of his points were that deliberate.

Like Yak, people want to equate points with success, but that is not the case. I'm sure the coaches recognize that also. Unlike Yak he really does have a grasp on how to backcheck, but his positioning, forecheck and puck skills are lacking going the other way

Watching players like Laine, Matthews and Tkachuk, you can really see their maturity is miles above JP right now. Some argue that it is b/c they are being given top line minutes. Not even close. Their games are actually that much better....right now anyway
JP is not a player ready for top line minutes, and we are lucky that our coaches recognize that

I haven't seen the last couple of games, where Pulju played some shifts, so I can't say you are right or wrong there. However, before that I followed him and Laine closely and there was a long period when Pulju played better and actually looked more mature than Laine. In that period Laine's mistakes cost several goals (two against Oilers), while Pulju was playing a solid defensive game and scored some points as well.

In the game against Toronto Pulju was said to be better than Matthews (didn't watch that one myself) and in the game against Jets Pulju was better than Laine. I'm just saying that to me it looks like you are basing your opinions in the last few rounds or maybe the total scores. Have you seen how different Laine's game looks if he plays in the first line with Scheiffele compared to the 2nd or 3rd line? I think it's natural for 18-year-olds to need some ice time and good line mates to shine, and this is true with Pulju, Laine and probably now 19-year-old Matthews as well.

As for the points, I think JP has rather been unlucky with not having more. He's hit the posts several times and at least until a couple of games ago he created a lot of opportunities for his line mates. He's also been "robbed" at least two points by the statistics. What is worth noting is that almost all his points have come from 1st assists (1st in /60 min stats). Sometimes you get lucky points and sometimes you are unlucky not to get points, those happen with all the players.

I'm not denying all you said, especially as I haven't seen the last games. However, I would think that it's a sign of a great potential if a player is as immature as you are saying, but still doing pretty (or even very) well in so many stats.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
I think they are trying to work eberle out of a funk. Seems like there's a bit of balancing because they need the wins

IMO, Wins supersede getting Eberle out of his funk...if one even calls his current [usual?] play that.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
IMO, Wins supersede getting Eberle out of his funk...if one even calls his current [usual?] play that.

You'd figure the Ebs funk would only get worse with each game that he is not able to get anything done playing with one of the top 2 players in the world. Really starting to think easier competition is the best way to get Ebs going, not constantly getting rag-dolled by top defenders (in the rare cases he doesn't buttonhook before contact) or struggling to help contain top offensive players.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
You'd figure the Ebs funk would only get worse with each game that he is not able to get anything done playing with one of the top 2 players in the world. Really starting to think easier competition is the best way to get Ebs going, not constantly getting rag-dolled by top defenders (in the rare cases he doesn't buttonhook before contact) or struggling to help contain top offensive players.

I'd like to be able to put Ebs on the 2nd or 3rd line but he makes 6 million dollars and it seems like the difference between 1st pair and 3rd pair isn't as big as we'd think. specifically when clownrefs don't call the rulebook.

The notion that skill players will play better against weaker opposition is good in theory...but it doesn't really pan out too often from what I've seen.

As I've said before. I think you can improve the team by moving Ebs but it's possible he plays out that contract if no one wants him.

Having someone else who can handle the puck can't be too bad of a thing.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006

People like to say posters are buffoons or idiots for suggesting a player doesn't put effort but when you get walked over as many times as Eberle has had or stopped skating as frequently as he does, I think it's simply that-lack of effort. If not effort, at least drive. I mean, even a measly stick check would help haha

It's the same with Nuge yet those two always have their following and their excuses.

Eberle - he's got skill but shows it so infrequently these days, that it hurts the team
Nuge - Tries hard; gets nothing done.

Ryan Lose-Possession and Jordan Eberlosepossession

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
People like to say posters are buffoons or idiots for suggesting a player doesn't put effort but when you get walked over as many times as Eberle has had or stopped skating as frequently as he does, I think it's simply that-lack of effort. If not effort, at least drive. I mean, even a measly stick check would help haha

It's the same with Nuge yet those two always have their following and their excuses.

Eberle - he's got skill but shows it so infrequently these days, that it hurts the team
Nuge - Tries hard; gets nothing done.

Ryan Lose-Possession and Jordan Eberlosepossession

Throw Lucic's complete lack of.... anything, and you have quite the top 6...
That's an 18 million dollar line of junk.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Throw Lucic's complete lack of.... anything, and you have quite the top 6...
That's an 18 million dollar line of junk.

I'm not gonna even bother with Lucic since he's probably going to have the longest string with regards to our forwards not named McDavid or Draisaitl. Like it or not, he's here to stay. I don't think he's that bad though unlike the other 2.

McIce Whole

Jan 7, 2008
Edmonton
Don't have much of an issue with Lucic to be honest. Yeah he messes up once in a while but he's out there to create space, score the ugly goals and be a physical presence out there. He's been more physical lately and the other two things he is still doing. He's on pace for 55 points and is still third on our team in scoring.

Eberle and RNH have been bad. Eberle should be better on the cycle and more productive than he has been. RNH needs to improve his offensive game, never seen a player lose their offensive instincts as much as RNH has. Still think RNH should consider moving to wing and see if he can get his offensive game going.

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
I'm not gonna even bother with Lucic since he's probably going to have the longest string with regards to our forwards not named McDavid or Draisaitl. Like it or not, he's here to stay. I don't think he's that bad though unlike the other 2.

I agree for the most part....except for the Lucic, not that bad part.
I think the guy is a total and utter failure.
only thing he's good at is lip service...talks a big game, plays the opposite.
can't skate, can't pass, doesn't engage....just a waste.
oh well...it is what it is.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
I agree for the most part....except for the Lucic, not that bad part.
I think the guy is a total and utter failure.
only thing he's good at is lip service...talks a big game, plays the opposite.
can't skate, can't pass, doesn't engage....just a waste.
oh well...it is what it is.

Lucic has been great, one of the best players at his position in the entire league. I've been pleasantly surprised with how well he skates and his shot is straight up elite. Hits like a trucks and stands up for his teammates. This team might be bottom five if not for Lucic.

After McDavid, most valuable player on the team by far, and it's close between those two.

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
Lucic has been great, one of the best players at his position in the entire league. I've been pleasantly surprised with how well he skates and his shot is straight up elite. Hits like a trucks and stands up for his teammates. This team might be bottom five if not for Lucic.

After McDavid, most valuable player on the team by far, and it's close between those two.

agree to disagree then.
It's funny how two people can see two completely different players.

Hippasus

Feb 17, 2008
Bridgeview
This game started out poorly for the Oilers again, but they started to even things up in the latter half in terms of shots and-or scoring chances. Overall, they were heavily outshot though, and their powerplay was atrocious (0 for 6). Talbot kept them in the game and got them a point. He made a lot of big saves. Also on the brightside, McDavid got going again.

Last edited:

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Lucic has been alright. I get the feeling being a vet he's kinda pacing himself for the stretch run/possible playoffs rather than going balls to the wall in Nov/Dec.

Still he is producing right around what is expected of him points wise. He hasn't had a game where he's really gone crazy and beat the crap out of someone though, but again, I think he knows by now not to do that too often because it'll cut your career short.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
Finally just got around to watching this one.
Wow, that was exciting, might be the most intense game I've seen this year. Looked like a playoff game. Despite Kassian getting a bit silly I'm happy we didn't get pushed around. Man I hate Coutures stupid little face.

I've noticed in the games when the going gets tough, and the intensity ramps up, RNH and Eberle go ghost. Been noticing it all season. They've shown a complete inability to rise to the occasion.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad