Rumor: Oilers Interested In Binnington

theVladiator

May 26, 2018
Do not get the Binnington hate. He is a hothead. So was Mike Smith.

The better question is - why would the Blues trade a Cup winning goalie for a guy that just passed through the waivers? The asking price for Binnington - Campbell would be a sum of what it would take to make 2 separate moves:
- accept the boat anchor of 5Mx4 AAV AHL goalie.
- give up a Cup winning goalie who is playing pretty well at the moment.

So, I am guessing, the asking price is 10 first round picks, or thereabouts.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Do not get the Binnington hate. He is a hothead. So was Mike Smith.

The better question is - why would the Blues trade a Cup winning goalie for a guy that just passed through the waivers? The asking price for Binnington - Campbell would be a sum of what it would take to make 2 separate moves:
- accept the boat anchor of 5Mx4 AAV AHL goalie.
- give up a Cup winning goalie who is playing pretty well at the moment.

So, I am guessing, the asking price is 10 first round picks, or thereabouts.
Billington makes 6 million a year. Can't see how Oilers can do this. Reimer or Lyon better deal. With a third team retaining.

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
Binnington stirs sh** up 3-4 times a year; the rest of the time he’s a typical goalie. In interviews he’s normal. Lots of fans just see the few highlights a year of him stirring things up and think he’s a cancer or a hothead, etc.

Reactions: The Electrician

Crazy Cizikas

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2017
A good place
People are laughing at the Oilers anyways. Why not go full troll mode at this point?

Again - Binnington is a loose cannon but he’s not some rum dum goalie and he’s not just a “marginal” upgrade.

How many goalies are available and not 40 years-old that have proven the ability to backstop a team through four playoff rounds and get almost stonewall monumentally hot when their head is in the right place?

He’s been running with a dreadful blueline in St. Louis and no defense forwards like Kyrou up front for the last couple years. I can see a fit in Edmonton.
Why dismiss older goaltenders? Not a long term fix, but you could really use a veteran goalie for a year or two.

Crazy Cizikas

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2017
A good place
Binny has done a few strange things on the ice, but he is well liked in St. Louis. He never gets out of line or says or does controversial things besides those few bizarre on ice incidents that have been blown way out of proportion. He seems like a really good dude. And he is ultra competitive.
Other than stopping pucks, he’s the perfect goaltender.

gritdash60

Aug 9, 2022
Behind the net
Oh hell yes, please make this happen. I wanna see the fist fight between this 60kg "athlete" and a heckling fan after the first game he gets pulled, which shouldnt take long.
Just imagine Binnington letting in 3 goals in 1st period and getting pulled, then some Oilers fan shouting at him and this dude just climbing to the stands and throwing hands. It's not what Oilers need, but it's what the viewers need!

Last edited:

5minutemajor

Mar 23, 2018
Get Saros. You will get a Cup or two.

Bet they wont sign him. In 2031 they wonder what if they had had a goaltender of that caliber…

pdavemoney

May 29, 2019
The Blues actually play defense, Throwing Him into the Edmonton net would probably end in failure. Better Idea would be to go after a goalie that doesn't have a good defense in front of them but still manages to not get blown up.

Blackwood is somehow not doing terrible playing behind the Sharks, perhaps go after him instead with the added bonus is he's probably a lot cheaper.

TLDR = smarter to go after goalies who are being held out to dry by their team and still treading water.
The bolded is patently false. I can assure you the Blues defense is one of the worst in the league. Binnington has played behind trash going on a 3rd straight season now. He'd be more than used to getting hung out to dry.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
I wonder if STL might like Allen back, if they move Binnington.
Moving Allen to STL as a subpart of a larger Binnington to Edmonton deal would be typical of how Kent Hughes operates.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
I think they would jus let Joel Hofer have the crease.
A veteran to back up a 23 year old wouldn't be a bad idea, though. Involving Montreal in the trade might also mean EDM having someone to send a contract to, to free up cap room for Binnington.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
Binnington stirs sh** up 3-4 times a year; the rest of the time he’s a typical goalie. In interviews he’s normal. Lots of fans just see the few highlights a year of him stirring things up and think he’s a cancer or a hothead, etc.

Binnington might be the only goalie in NHL history where the refs made up a penalty of incitement to violence to kick him from a game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad