Dreger: Oilers in discussions with Nashville about Ekholm & Montreal about Edmundson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
I don't think one D will change much for Edmonton. They all just need to play better structurally and defensively as a team.

Lahey

Jul 15, 2009
Toronto
Oilers could use a guy like ekholm big time. Would hate to see him leave Nashville but I don’t see a better fit than the oil.
Maybe leafs but I feel they will never address their defense issues. Would love to see ek win a cup with mcDavid
We don’t have defense issues. Look at the stats lmao.

MisterT

Nov 29, 2006
Oilers could use a guy like ekholm big time. Would hate to see him leave Nashville but I don’t see a better fit than the oil.
Maybe leafs but I feel they will never address their defense issues. Would love to see ek win a cup with mcDavid
You may wish to catch up a little as your narrative on the Leafs defense is vehemently wrong.

PuckG

Feb 26, 2015
I don't think one D will change much for Edmonton. They all just need to play better structurally and defensively as a team.
I disagree. Having a player like Ekholm immediately shifts every defenceman we have down 1 slot in the line up and that could be a massive difference in match-ups.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
The weird part is, the Oilers xGA is 14th in the league and our HDCA is top 5.
The team has a whole is limiting chances relatively well. The big flaws right now is you have Ceci really out of place on the top pairing and as the season goes he gets worse and worse from being overplayed.
You also have Campbell playing awful so as games go on, the forwards start cheating a bit to try and catch up offensively.
If you add say, Ekholm and get him to play his right side (he would be better than Ceci on his off wing) you have the effect of making the other pairings better.
Honestly the teams "defense" could improve with a single good top 4 d and Campbell seeing a ton more bench time.

Three On Zero

Deranged Oreo Dolphin Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Ekholm would instantly become Edmonton’s #1, would be a no brainer for Holland to reach for him

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Lebrun was saying the asking price is in the 2 1sts range.

As an Oilers fan I say pay it.
Me too. It comes down to whether one of those 1st can be a prospect or not I think. This year's 1st and one of Bourgault or Shaeffer maybe. It would be interesting to see how Holland gets the cap to work. Pulujarvi gets us part way there, but what's the other piece? Yamamoto? Ceci?
i thought oilers were looking for RHD whats with this?
The Oilers biggest hole is 1RD. The 2nd biggest hole might be 2LD. Broberg's emergence seems to be making that less important of a hole to fix, but it's hard to rely on rookies too heavily in the playoffs.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
If the Oilers can't get Ekholm, they should be all over Gavrikov. He's getting crazy underrated around here IMO. But he brings a lot of the same traits as Ekholm, cheaper for this year, the only negative is there is no future for him past this rental.

Mar 26, 2010
The Oilers are in on “everyone”. Only issue is, no player is waiving for there if they have a NMC.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I'm going to be so made if we trade for Edmundson. Especially if it is to play any more than a depth role. If it's a super late pick to be a healthy scratch in case of injuries so we don't have to play AHL'ers, then that might be okay, but if its to actually play on the team...woof.

PuckG

Feb 26, 2015
If the Oilers can't get Ekholm, they should be all over Gavrikov. He's getting crazy underrated around here IMO. But he brings a lot of the same traits as Ekholm, cheaper for this year, the only negative is there is no future for him past this rental.
If Columbus is demanding the 1st for Gavrikov for 3 months, I would much rather add and pursue Ekholm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad