Proposal: Oilers & Hurricanes Could Be Perfect Trade Partners

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
The Oilers can't really afford to send out only Pulujarvi and a pick for 10 million in salary for Skinner and Faulk combined. I'd say the pick for one of them is reasonable. But expecting both to the Oilers without some serious salary (Sekera, or Lucic) going the other way? I don't buy it. I don't think Nuge for Skinner gets any interest from the Oilers side either. Skinner is signed for too short and is a pure winger, whereas Nuge can play centre as well if needed.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Why would EDM trade Puljujarvi? With the McDavid deal that you discussed it would make more sense to probably keep him as they need some ELC productive players.

Yeah, we need cheap productive wingers. We just dumped Eberle for a lower cost option and then we'll pay for one year of Skinner? Yeah, not happening.

Reactions: EDMOILERS9729

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
why would a new GM come in and make a major move without knowing and seeing his new team first hand? seems like an easy way to make a mistake.

Reactions: DaveG

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
I'm down for a Puljujarvi-Faulk swap. I'm ready to bet on potential and Aho-Poolparty has a boatload of it.

Reactions: sheriff bart

vorbis

bunch of likes
Feb 9, 2013
YTZ
that looks like a lot of words to describe the logic of a deal that only makes sense for one side. maybe Tom Dundon will disrupt the actual on-ice product and the Canes can ice 5 LD simultaneously.

Larry Fisher

Sep 19, 2002
Kelowna, B.C.
The Oilers can't really afford to send out only Pulujarvi and a pick for 10 million in salary for Skinner and Faulk combined. I'd say the pick for one of them is reasonable. But expecting both to the Oilers without some serious salary (Sekera, or Lucic) going the other way? I don't buy it. I don't think Nuge for Skinner gets any interest from the Oilers side either. Skinner is signed for too short and is a pure winger, whereas Nuge can play centre as well if needed.

You must not have read far enough? Sekera was included in the trade proposal for both.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
The part of the article that I 100% don't buy is Sekera waiving his NMC. The Canes tried to sign Sekera (who was only on the Canes for just over 1.5 seasons) and he refused to sign, then choosing Edmonton and getting a NMC. Canes have Slavin, Hanifin, Fleury and Bean on the LHD side, haven't made the playoffs in 9 seasons, and more importantly, the Canes don't have McDavid. I can't see any way Sekera waives his NMC to leave EDM to be traded to Carolina and the rationale of "but had his most career success in Carolina and may welcome a return" isn't at all convincing.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
The fan bases certainly disagree. From Faulk for rnh to drai vs aho there will be not deal that the fan bases will agree upon. However they don't matter in real life so there's that

Reactions: MinJaBen

Ck1

Feb 10, 2018
Edmonton
Only player I would want from Carolina is Aho he would be a good addition to have to help pool party in his development being from the same country and have played together in the past. But we all know there not giving up Aho

Larry Fisher

Sep 19, 2002
Kelowna, B.C.
The part of the article that I 100% don't buy is Sekera waiving his NMC. The Canes tried to sign Sekera (who was only on the Canes for just over 1.5 seasons) and he refused to sign, then choosing Edmonton and getting a NMC. Canes have Slavin, Hanifin, Fleury and Bean on the LHD side, haven't made the playoffs in 9 seasons, and more importantly, the Canes don't have McDavid. I can't see any way Sekera waives his NMC to leave EDM to be traded to Carolina and the rationale of "but had his most career success in Carolina and may welcome a return" isn't at all convincing.

Fair point on the loaded left side there. Salary would have to be going back or retained to make this trade work. I can't see Carolina's new owner wanting to retain salary in return for futures (players that won't necessarily improve the team next season). Carolina also won't want Lucic or Russell and Edmonton wouldn't want to trade three more years of Nugent-Hopkins for one year of Skinner. Sekera made the most sense from a financial standpoint and the fact he's had success there, but maybe it's not all that practical either.

Mikey71

Apr 3, 2005
Larry, thanks for your OP. While I don't always agree with what you posts, you give your thoughts behind your ideas and stick around to make follow up posts. That said, I hate this from the Oilers. I know there are a few scenarios you mentioned, but essentially look forward 2 years. The Oilers could be left with nothing, and will possibly have given up a 1st and Puljujarvi. Yeah they want to turn things around quickly, but they are in no way close to winning it all, to make the risk worth the reward. IMHO it is simply too much of the future to give up, especially with where the organization currently is.

Reactions: Larry Fisher

Larry Fisher

Sep 19, 2002
Kelowna, B.C.
Larry, thanks for your OP. While I don't always agree with what you posts, you give your thoughts behind your ideas and stick around to make follow up posts. That said, I hate this from the Oilers. I know there are a few scenarios you mentioned, but essentially look forward 2 years. The Oilers could be left with nothing, and will possibly have given up a 1st and Puljujarvi. Yeah they want to turn things around quickly, but they are in no way close to winning it all, to make the risk worth the reward. IMHO it is simply too much of the future to give up, especially with where the organization currently is.

Appreciate the comment Mikey, but my thinking is that the Oilers believe they are close to contending and expect to be a playoff team if not win a Cup over the next 1-2 years. Faulk and Skinner give them a much better chance at accomplishing that goal than Puljujarvi and whoever they would pick in that 9-13 range. I don't think Katz will be supporting a "long-term vision" anymore. If they try to draft and develop, keeping Puljujarvi and making that pick, it's almost certain that McLellan and Chiarelli will be out of jobs at this time next year. If you are Chiarelli and you can stay the course to the unemployment line or try to make a drastic win-now move, what would you do?

Not to mix hockey with politics, but it's like Notley's about-face to supporting and campaigning for pipelines. It's not what she wants for "her" Alberta, but it's what is necessary in an attempt to save her job. Chiarelli is in the same boat now and he'll make some desperate moves to make the Oilers better next year, not two or three years from now when he may not have a job. And I feel Katz will be fully supportive of and pushing for the next-year, win-now mentality.

Mikey71

Apr 3, 2005
Yeah I get the urgency to improve soon, but they simply cannot afford to give up so much of their future for only 2 years. One MAJOR problem with the Oilers has been their lack of prospects. They finally seem to be turning that around, but 2 years of control for that much future does more harm than good. To give up so much, they would need more term on players coming back. I could see either of Skinner or Faulk going to Edmonton, but not both. They couldn't come close to recovering the loss of the 2 assets sent out within 2 years, and don't have the answers within the organization.

As for the politics, I live in the Soo so don't really pay much attention to your comparison.

Larry Fisher

Sep 19, 2002
Kelowna, B.C.
Yeah I get the urgency to improve soon, but they simply cannot afford to give up so much of their future for only 2 years. One MAJOR problem with the Oilers has been their lack of prospects. They finally seem to be turning that around, but 2 years of control for that much future does more harm than good. To give up so much, they would need more term on players coming back. I could see either of Skinner or Faulk going to Edmonton, but not both. They couldn't come close to recovering the loss of the 2 assets sent out within 2 years, and don't have the answers within the organization.

As for the politics, I live in the Soo so don't really pay much attention to your comparison.

I think we agree Mikey, but I'm trying to think more like Chiarelli and Katz rather than how I might personally approach the roster going forward. I do realize how this type of trade could go horribly wrong, but it could also result in a Stanley Cup parade next June. Katz wants that more than anything or anyone, and Chiarelli needs to do everything in his power to deliver that or he'll be out of a job and have a hard time getting another one based on his bad-in-hindsight moves for Edmonton.

If you look how Chiarelli built that 2011 team in Boston, he definitely wasn't thinking about the negative implications two or three years down the road and, hey, it worked out for him. He got his ring there.

Prospects are developing faster in general these days, so the hope would be that a Benson or a Safin or a Maksimov would be ready to step in if Skinner bolted for free agency. Ditto with Bear and Jones, among others, on the back end if Faulk isn't interested in re-signing with Edmonton or also prices himself out of the cap situation.

Are these the right moves? The moves I would make? Probably not. Are these the moves that a desperate GM would make to save his job and try to deliver a Cup as early as next season? Sure, seems plausible when you think of it that way. At least from an Oilers' perspective.

Mikey71

Apr 3, 2005
Chia thought that way in Boston and it cost him his job. He thinks that way this summer and it will cost him his job again. The old Faulk would be great but not the current one. The current one is no better than Sekera. So, if you (or I obviously) see Sekera and Faulk as a wash, the trade becomes Pulu and a 1st for Skinner and that is horrible asset management by Chia. With you putting RNH in to this, it makes this a REALLY bad situation for Edmonton. RNH on McDavid's line made McDavid the finisher as well as introducing everyone to the possibility that RNH could be that too.

There have been cryptic messages that Chia has something in mind that everyone will support once they know what it is. I don't think Faulk and Skinner for your suggestion would do anything close to that. This mystery plan, according to Edmonton media, seems to have bought him a bit more time, assuming he pulls it off.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad