Proposal: Oilers & Hurricanes Could Be Perfect Trade Partners

Larry Fisher

Sep 19, 2002
Kelowna, B.C.
Chia thought that way in Boston and it cost him his job. He thinks that way this summer and it will cost him his job again. The old Faulk would be great but not the current one. The current one is no better than Sekera. So, if you (or I obviously) see Sekera and Faulk as a wash, the trade becomes Pulu and a 1st for Skinner and that is horrible asset management by Chia. With you putting RNH in to this, it makes this a REALLY bad situation for Edmonton. RNH on McDavid's line made McDavid the finisher as well as introducing everyone to the possibility that RNH could be that too.

There have been cryptic messages that Chia has something in mind that everyone will support once they know what it is. I don't think Faulk and Skinner for your suggestion would do anything close to that. This mystery plan, according to Edmonton media, seems to have bought him a bit more time, assuming he pulls it off.

It cost him his job in Boston AFTER he won a Stanley Cup. I don't think anybody in Edmonton would care if Chia got fired after bringing a Cup back to the City of Champions. They would still build a statue of him next to Gretzky.

RNH was never in my deal. I simply said Carolina would be interested in him but Edmonton wouldn't make that move.

Mikey71

Apr 3, 2005
Yeah, your moves "may" get them in the playoffs, but would not get them the cup, not a chance. Then they are back to missing the playoffs with no signs of improvement for a few years as they would have given their future away in your deals. As mentioned earlier, the current Oilers are not nearly close enough as an organization to make these kind of deals. The current Oiler roster in the NHL and minors is light years away from the Boston one. If they were as close as you imply, then we wouldn't have had this conversation, we would have been talking about last night's Oiler playoff game.

Larry Fisher

Sep 19, 2002
Kelowna, B.C.
Yeah, your moves "may" get them in the playoffs, but would not get them the cup, not a chance. Then they are back to missing the playoffs with no signs of improvement for a few years as they would have given their future away in your deals. As mentioned earlier, the current Oilers are not nearly close enough as an organization to make these kind of deals. The current Oiler roster in the NHL and minors is light years away from the Boston one. If they were as close as you imply, then we wouldn't have had this conversation, we would have been talking about last night's Oiler playoff game.

Things change a lot from year to year in today's NHL. We could be talking about Colorado's playoff game last night, the team that finished dead last a year ago. Or New Jersey. Or Vegas. Even Tampa Bay and Winnipeg missed the playoffs last year, although they both have better feeder systems than Edmonton. To say there's no chance at a quick turnaround to contending with the additions of Faulk and Skinner seems naive or just a glass half-empty mentality. The Oilers were a couple video reviews gone wrong away from making the conference final last year. I know Katz feels a move like the one I proposed could propel the team to a Cup and I'm sure he's telling Chiarelli to go all-in, but Chiarelli already knows that is a must to save his own job. The days of drafting and developing in Edmonton are a thing of the past as long as McDavid is on that roster.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I’d want much better than pool party and a first for these two. I’m not convinced he’s gonna turn out to be that good in the first place.

This is a backwards move for the Canes.

And the only way we end up with Lucic is if you’re taking Darling and retaining so the salaries are equal.

Last edited:

CheMxDawG

Jan 26, 2017
Chia thought that way in Boston and it cost him his job. He thinks that way this summer and it will cost him his job again. The old Faulk would be great but not the current one. The current one is no better than Sekera. So, if you (or I obviously) see Sekera and Faulk as a wash, the trade becomes Pulu and a 1st for Skinner and that is horrible asset management by Chia. With you putting RNH in to this, it makes this a REALLY bad situation for Edmonton. RNH on McDavid's line made McDavid the finisher as well as introducing everyone to the possibility that RNH could be that too.

There have been cryptic messages that Chia has something in mind that everyone will support once they know what it is. I don't think Faulk and Skinner for your suggestion would do anything close to that. This mystery plan, according to Edmonton media, seems to have bought him a bit more time, assuming he pulls it off.

You're really saying that Sekera and Faulk are a wash? Injury history, age, and BEING A RHD would disagree with you. Not to mention the career point production...

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg
Things change a lot from year to year in today's NHL. We could be talking about Colorado's playoff game last night, the team that finished dead last a year ago. Or New Jersey. Or Vegas. Even Tampa Bay and Winnipeg missed the playoffs last year, although they both have better feeder systems than Edmonton. To say there's no chance at a quick turnaround to contending with the additions of Faulk and Skinner seems naive or just a glass half-empty mentality. The Oilers were a couple video reviews gone wrong away from making the conference final last year. I know Katz feels a move like the one I proposed could propel the team to a Cup and I'm sure he's telling Chiarelli to go all-in, but Chiarelli already knows that is a must to save his own job. The days of drafting and developing in Edmonton are a thing of the past as long as McDavid is on that roster.

I agree that this is the type of move that will probably happen, but if you look over time at the deals like this, they for the most part always have the team getting the young talent winning huge in the long run. I sit and watch as a ton of the 5-10 pick d-men jump into key positions earlier than in the past and think the oilers would be better off picking the Best D-man available and hope he is the next Sergachev or Provorov.

Mikey71

Apr 3, 2005
You're really saying that Sekera and Faulk are a wash? Injury history, age, and BEING A RHD would disagree with you. Not to mention the career point production...
The current Faulk? Yes, as I stated. The old Faulk is clearly better, as I stated. Faulk this year was not very good at all, and yes I did watch him play a lot. Pick and choose my comments all you want but I did say overall that Faulk and Skinner for as long as they are signed, are not worth the gains when so much of the future is traded away by Edmonton. Edmonton is not even close to good and deep enough as an organization to make this kind of deal right now. It isn't worth it. 1 year of Skinner and 2 years of Faulk? Both of these guys don't put Edmonton over the top, and where is Edmonton in 2 years? They need to look for a solution that lasts longer than that. I am totally fine giving up those assets if term was longer.

They are not as good as they looked last year, and not as bad as they looked this year. They are somewhere in between.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad