Confirmed with Link: Oilers Hired Michael Parkatti as Senior Director, Data & Analytics

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Oilers trend of hiring extremely qualified candidates continues. Parkatti's resume

View attachment 744985

View attachment 744987
Solid, solid academic credentials. Georgia Tech is a top school (shitty football team lol) and a look at their Online MS Analytics is a perfect foundation for building out a sports industry analytics department imo. Online Master of Science in Analytics

Wildly, in seeing his work history, in small world stuff, at one stop he highly likely reported directly to an old family friend of mine.

Nostradumbass

Divinity
Jan 1, 2007
Solid, solid academic credentials. Georgia Tech is a top school (shitty football team lol) and a look at their Online MS Analytics is a perfect foundation for building out a sports industry analytics department imo. Online Master of Science in Analytics

Wildly, in seeing his work history, in small world stuff, at one stop he highly likely reported directly to an old family friend of mine.
He reported to my friend in his last role, he is thought of quite highly and will be missed.

Reactions: Behind Enemy Lines

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Like I mentioned, it’s quite possible that a broad report was generated earlier outlining basic analytics on a list of players and in this moment he’s just asking the analytics guy if there’s anything from an analytics stand point that really stands out about Brassard in particular. Second, this was a very minor acquisition, he was basically brought in to be a rental 13/14 fwd, it’s not like this was a franchise altering trade that needed to be dissected from every angle.

Would you spend the same amount of time and resources analyzing the purchase of a coffee maker as you would the purchase of a car?

As I stated, I definitely think they’ve under utilized advanced analytics but I don’t think a 2 minutes conversation on a very minor rental acquisition is much proof of anything.
I never said it was proof of anything. I qualified my statement by saying it was only a GLIMPSE into the decision making process and that it gives us a SENSE as to how the Oilers decision making process works. You add this GLIMPSE to other publicly available information about how our GM and Brain Trust operates and you can form an opinion.

It's quite possible that a broad analytical report was created like you stated. It's also quite possible that it didn't happen at all. I'm not willing to give the Oilers the benefit of the doubt regarding how effective their analytics are especially considering they just Hired a guy to pretty much overhaul the entire system and build it from the ground up. If you want to give them that benefit of doubt based on no evidence, go ahead. I'll do the opposite based on some evidence.

And I do consider Holland asking last minute about said Analytics when the acquisition was 95% decided upon as some evidence. I take what happened in that meeting at face value, Holland asked Justin how the numbers looked on Brassard, which implies quite directly that he hasn't looked at them previously. Is it a smoking gun? No. But add it to the pile and start to paint your picture of how they operate and how much importance he puts on "the numbers".

And sure, it is a "minor" transaction, maybe that shouldn't necessitate a full analytical analysis in your opinion. But how many trades are made in an NHL season on average? 2-3 at most for actual roster players? If you aren't doing this type of analysis for 30-50% of all roster transactions done in a year, then what are these guys even hired for? A player acquisition to a professional NHL club, especially one that will play games down the stretch and into the playoffs should be handled with all the time and resources you can muster. You don't just skip out on the homework cause he's a 4th line guy. You are still spending assets to make that trade. Hopefully Parkatti can make this a priority for the organization like it always should have been.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Can he establish a correlation between Schwartz and goalie regression?

He should do that. And also Jeff should consider whatever advice was given regarding the Koskinen and Campbell signings. I’m not entirely sure if a goalie coaches input is involved when deciding on signing a goalie, but you’d think the GM would ask his goalie expert on potential hires.

So we got regression in our goalies AND just plain old bad scouting and bad advice provided by Schwartz. When will it end? Make it happen Jackson.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Checks the boxes for education and intellectual chops, diverse corporate aka real world experience. This is a valuable support function that can add value to a lot of areas within the organization. Another step to modernizing the Oilers organization.
LSE and Georgia Tech are both excellent schools. The real world experience in data analytics is also quite valuable. So I agree that this is a significant step towards professionalizing the analytics side of the organization which previously had seemed to very very much an amateur show.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I'll have to spend time when I have a chance going through it. Something I was pushing for with a guy like Woodley who does intense goalie tracking, that can really make a team's job a lot easier if you spend some time understanding the data
I think Woodley would be a good addition. I've always like what he brought to the table.

If they want to take this seriously they need a small team with varied expertise. Not just one guy.

Reactions: joestevens29

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Analytics? On MY Oilers? Have we actually entered the current decade?

It was so stupid to not have a dedicated analytics department when literally every other team had one.

Obviously time will tell how this hire actually plays out but better late than never. It's encouraging that they're actually trying to improve the organization off the ice.

Reactions: TheNumber4

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
Considering that this is a team that once traded for Nikita Nikitin because Scott Howson liked him, and traded two high draft picks for Griffin Reinhart because - well- nobody really knows why, I’m happy with this hire. Parkatti has a great resume and seems to be well-liked and well-respected. Jackson doesn’t appear to have delusions that analytics are the only thing that should matter, rather it’s just one more tool in the toolbox. I don’t see a down-side here.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
LSE and Georgia Tech are both excellent schools. The real world experience in data analytics is also quite valuable. So I agree that this is a significant step towards professionalizing the analytics side of the organization which previously had seemed to very very much an amateur show.
Amen. Doesn't it just seem immediately evident from Parkattis writing, articles, and summations that he's actually trained in statistical methodology and real world experience with analytics?

Parkatti puts information forth differently because he has no want to be top down. He knows his stuff and that becomes apparent.

This time its real analytics, not hobby analytics.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Analytics? On MY Oilers? Have we actually entered the current decade?

It was so stupid to not have a dedicated analytics department when literally every other team had one.

Obviously time will tell how this hire actually plays out but better late than never. It's encouraging that they're actually trying to improve the organization off the ice.
I always stay out of this argument/discussion because I use analytics everyday in my job and I find many people talk analytics but do not know how to explain the results they are posting.

Simply posting a graph or an image and going "there's the proof" is incorrect.

Sounds like the guy the oilers hired is able to explain the numbers, destruct and reconstruct the numbers.

There are "several" well respected "analytic" guys who do not know how to breakdown and explain the numbers that are bouncing between teams right now. The just point at the screen and go "there's the proof" that is not using analytics correctly

The guy who used to be the best was Rob Vollman--he has a couple of great books where he goes into great detail of how to extract numbers, analyze them and how to explain them. I believe he still works for the kings. He used to be on Lowetide all the time and he was the one that said "as of right now we are at the beginning of hockey analytics and we are no where near the level some people think we are". He said there are too many wild card that something like baseball does not have.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Oilers own the OilersNow property on CHED, not CHED. Pretty standard that they wouldn’t want a competitor local radio broadcast outlet to have access to info and people that they want for their own vehicle.
Holland himself has interviewed with Gregor before. Not sure that’s the issue.

Reactions: joestevens29

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Holland himself has interviewed with Gregor before. Not sure that’s the issue.
Gregor has had quite a few people from the Oilers organization on. Think the only reason Bob has them on more is he has less of a rolodex that he uses for interviews and Gregor isn't just there to talk Oilers either.

Why Lowetide wouldn't get an Oiler employee does seem odd. Maybe he isn't an official member of the press and it hurts him, I don't know.

Reactions: MessierII

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Considering that this is a team that once traded for Nikita Nikitin because Scott Howson liked him, and traded two high draft picks for Griffin Reinhart because - well- nobody really knows why, I’m happy with this hire. Parkatti has a great resume and seems to be well-liked and well-respected. Jackson doesn’t appear to have delusions that analytics are the only thing that should matter, rather it’s just one more tool in the toolbox. I don’t see a down-side here.

Reinhart happened, Cause Bob Green liked him. And Green is still here. And the Oilers are still picking guys based on the word of one scout without much analytical backing. We aren’t out of the Nikitin/Reinhart territory yet. Not even close. Hiring Jackson is like the first step.

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
Reinhart happened, Cause Bob Green liked him. And Green is still here. And the Oilers are still picking guys based on the word of one scout without much analytical backing. We aren’t out of the Nikitin/Reinhart territory yet. Not even close. Hiring Jackson is like the first step.
Holland can be critiqued for not making use of analytics much, but I don’t think it’s fair to sewer him for being like Pistol Pete. A lot of progress has been made since then.

Reactions: TB12 and Oilhawks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad