Speculation: Oilers hire Tyler Dellow

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
The size of our front office is now ahead of the population of Lichenstein. I hope the analytics guys are able to look deeper than just numbers on players. Step one, here are the numbers, step two why does this player have these numbers.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Rightieo, well I suppose that means we'll even less of him posting from his old HF account now.
I rather enjoy how most of the dismissive opinions are based around his attitude, rather than his work.

One small blessing.

Although I imagine some of his more devout henchmen will take up the slack. probably starting in this thread.

Anyway its show me time. I wonder what this kind of addition actually brings other than one other person talking strategy of sorts.

ps whats with all this "thinking outside of the box" is always assumed to be great. PLaying out in leftfield is often what it is. Not impactful.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
He knows his stats, but really has been wrong just as much as been right.

Wonder what kinda capacity these guys will have with teams. Its not as much as many here are thinking.

well, he did predict Toronto's inevitable slide

and the best corsi team DID win the Stanley Cup

it's not perfect, but it shows a different perspective on players

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Oh make no mistake; he's great at what he does. I just can't wait for him to call MacT an idiot just like he does on twitter when someone disagrees with him.

I hope his twitter gets shut down.

I hope his twitter stays as he has great difficulty not stating the wrong thing or getting quickly into a fracas.

Alas we're built similarly in that regard.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
well, he did predict Toronto's inevitable slide

and the best corsi team DID win the Stanley Cup

it's not perfect, but it shows a different perspective on players

I predicted both LA Kings SC wins. Anybody would be insane to hire me in a hockey capacity on such tenuous grounds. or any grounds..:laugh:

This is a guy that afairc called Horcoff the best player in hockey.

Everybody that posts enough has enormous hits and misses. How much does it mean when everything is swinging for the fences?

So inycase perspective will be different. What will that actually translate to. using players differently, using toi differently? Will it really to any great extent? I'll be looking for that.

tempest2i

Jigsaw Falling Into Place
Oct 25, 2009
Cowtown
Oh make no mistake; he's great at what he does. I just can't wait for him to call MacT an idiot just like he does on twitter when someone disagrees with him.

You tried to be funny or witty with him on twitter and he insulted you right?

tempest2i

Oct 25, 2009
Cowtown
If saying "I think sending Taylor Hall to juniors is a bad idea" is being witty or funny, then Dellow has a bigger stick up his ass than most.

That exchange would have happened 4 years ago and it still appears to be an open wound in your mind. It's probably time to move on from that, just saying.

Insta

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2005
Edmonton
The guy who accuses the media of being yes men just got hired by the organization. Great point by Brownlee

Don't really see the irony here. I can't say I'm up to speed with his accusations toward the Edmonton media but there's a difference between being media and actually being on the Oilers payroll.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
I predicted both LA Kings SC wins. Anybody would be insane to hire me in a hockey capacity on such tenuous grounds. or any grounds..:laugh:

This is a guy that afairc called Horcoff the best player in hockey.

Everybody that posts enough has enormous hits and misses. How much does it mean when everything is swinging for the fences?

So inycase perspective will be different. What will that actually translate to. using players differently, using toi differently? Will it really to any great extent? I'll be looking for that.

except he used numbers to make his predictions....which is what he does
(the Rangers were the 6th best Corsi team in the league...2nd best in the EC)

again, it isn't perfect...it's just more stats to look at when evaluating a player and teams

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
If saying "I think sending Taylor Hall to juniors is a bad idea" is being witty or funny, then Dellow has a bigger stick up his ass than most.

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/...nd-magnus-paajarvi-in-the-minors-this-season/

An article that shows the Dellow argument on that issue.

To be very fair, the Oilers didn't do anything in Hall or Paajarvi's first ELC year, and Paajarvi ended up not turning out the way we wanted him to, so it's not like it was a completely wrong opinion. Neither even hit 45 points in that first year of ELC. Hall looked good, but the year on both was kind of wasted to a degree.

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
That exchange would have happened 4 years ago and it still appears to be an open wound in your mind. It's probably time to move on from that, just saying.

Hey,if people can rip into Ference for being an asshat, see people complain about everything (see the Dallas Cowboys thread), then I can bloody well do it with this jerk.

I don't like seeing guys like that succeed. It's simple as that. Not just because of one slight on twitter.

tempest2i

Oct 25, 2009
Cowtown
Hey,if people can rip into Ference for being an asshat, see people complain about everything (see the Dallas Cowboys thread), then I can bloody well do it with this jerk.

I don't like seeing guys like that succeed. It's simple as that. Not just because of one slight on twitter.

Smart, driven, articulate people are going to succeed regardless of whether they're actually nice to others or not.

I deal with people like this on a daily basis. Some of the best advice I've been given boils down to: "It's business, not personal. They simply don't care enough about you for it to be personal."

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Also the same guy who wanted Hall to start in junior for.....salary reasons.

And that's bad? They should have done that with RNH and Yak as well. Why burn a cheap year of ELC when you are going to be a lottery team again anyways?

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Smart, driven, articulate people are going to succeed regardless of whether they're actually nice to others or not.

I deal with people like this on a daily basis. Some of the best advice I've been given boils down to: "It's business, not personal. They simply don't care enough about you for it to be personal."

And there is nothing wrong with calling those people A-holes if they act like it. Also part of being smart is not being an a-hole a good deal of he time. Many don't realize this or find out right away but sooner or later they do.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
And that's bad? They should have done that with RNH and Yak as well. Why burn a cheap year of ELC when you are going to be a lottery team again anyways?

Yes. It's a completely bad idea. It was purely for salary reasons. Development wise, it didn't hurt Hall at all. He was already the best player in the OHL, he didnt need to play there.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
It says a lot about Dellow's work, that the very people that he is the harshest critic of, chose to hire him in an analytics role.

BroadwayJay*

If I was a decision-maker like MacT, I'd specifically want the guy calling me an idiot to work for me.

Who cares about feelings? He cares about winning and knowing where you're wrong, and why, helps you win.

Sad day for my club, I was hopeful that the Oilers would go on being a doormat. I guess that dream is coming to an end.

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton

you know what? that is great advice.

If he succeeds and makes the team better awesome. I just wish he was a complete jack ass.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad