Confirmed with Link: Oilers hire Gulutzan, Yawney, & Viveiros as Assistant Coaches

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
If we are going to hire ex-oilers for skill coach, hire Smytty. I remember when he was a player he ran part of a practice on playing in front of the net and tipping shots.

I feel our PP for whatever reason doesn't run much were we just put the puck on the net and go for the tip. We also don't run the missed shot very often either. At least Smytty could help with part of that.

Lots of times you'll see PP's where it appears they really are just fluking it off. But for some reason we try look for some sort of perfect play that never materializes.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
No point. It'll just be taken over by Leafs fans who need every main board thread to be about Toronto.

Lot of hockey knowledge in these hires. Still not sold on Gulutzan, but hopefully he's a better assistant.

Ditto.

And imo id rather have todd than gg. So I would hope this is a functional staff of coaching than a succession plan for next year.

Todd sucks but hes pretty good

Reactions: MessierII and ujju2

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Change is good. I just want a top 5 PP. There's no reason not to be with McDavid and Draisaitl on 1 unit.

Reactions: ivanlwan

Uindicator

Sep 27, 2010
Gulutzan will be a really good assistant considering he has experience coaching in the western conference and can add little tidbits here and there especially against the flamers .

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Well a lot of us here thought Gulatzan was Eakins 2.0 so not sure how beneficial his addition will be.

Saying that, I think a lot of that was simply because he was the Flames coach and it's always fun to crap on everything Shelbyville related.

As an assistant I'd have to think he's more than qualified, having been an NHL head coach for 4 seasons and the fact is that the Flames have just 3 less pts than the Oilers over the past 2 seasons so is he really that much lesser of a coach than McLellan?

Yawney and Viveiros are likely two good additions and as others have said they should provide some fresh perspectives as to what might benefit the team... especially on the PP and PK.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Change is good. I just want a top 5 PP. There's no reason not to be with McDavid and Draisaitl on 1 unit.

I'd be happy with just top half of the league at this point. I'd give some leeway just because of stuff like bad luck. But there is no possible excuse to be 31st, and then have your solution being a spread as far to the blue line and boards as your players can possibly go, to the point other players are making fun of you (Bieksa). And those zone entries....ugh!!! What an absolute clown show our PP was this last season.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Say what you will about management, but they spend a lot on development and get high profile hires. So far they haven't cut it when it comes to the on-ice upgrades, but hopefully with Drai and McD signed up long term, there can be 100% focus on upgrades.

This seems like a stacked coaching bench to me. I'm not an expert on it, but it is a large and talented group.

RipsADrive

Sep 16, 2008
Edmonton
I have no complaints.

I even like having GG on the bench. As much as they'd like to think it was, coaching wasn't the Flames' problem last year.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I have no complaints.

I even like having GG on the bench. As much as they'd like to think it was, coaching wasn't the Flames' problem last year.
Apparently his going for beers idea saves their season the one before. Don't think coaching was their big downfall.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad