Confirmed with Link: Oilers hire Gulutzan, Yawney, & Viveiros as Assistant Coaches

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I like that the special teams will be by committee. PP may end up being mostly Manny but one of the other guys will run it during the game.

Reactions: Night Witch

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
So long as he’s not a bench coach I’m down with him in this role. Same role Scott Niedermayer has in Anaheim and apparently it works wonders for their young D.
Its like getting outside help or a second opinion but the guy is still part of the staff

As a young defensemen I would love to hear that Coffey was watching me play at home and was going to send me opinion and give me some help. That would be amazing

Reactions: Night Witch

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I like the hires.

In order of severity/reasons the Oils failed this season.

#1 Goaltending (Chiarelli has addressed this in a adequate if not spectacular manner already)
#2 Defense. Primarily Klefbom and then later Sekera. Hopefully those two can bounce back and we will see what Chiarelli "tweaks".
#3 Coaching. (Now addressed) Rare is it that you can point to coaching in such an obvious manner but it was obviously a huge deficency last year. I like McLellan but he and his staff had a terrible year and these hires hopefully pull him and the team out of thier funk. Special teams/coaching given a serious shot in the arm. Hard not to like these changes with the way the season went.

#4 Deeper down the list in cause of failure is scoring/winger depth. Lucic was terrible. Guys that needed to take the next step did not. But we have one of the best 1,2,3 centers in the league. Should be able to build around that even with our cap restraints and Im very glad Chiarelli is staying the course on his build overall. Chiarelli clearly is follwoing a solid and proven plan with center depth and drafting wingers for the forwards and hopefully it pans out for us.

Two of the top 3 primary reasons Oilers failed have been addressed in a positive manner. We will need development from within and hopefully a cheap signing to come in and exceed all expectations. Bargin bin guys that have it finally click for them.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I like the hires.

In order of severity/reasons the Oils failed this season.

#1 Goaltending (Chiarelli has addressed this in a adequate if not spectacular manner already)
#2 Defense. Primarily Klefbom and then later Sekera. Hopefully those two can bounce back and we will see what Chiarelli "tweaks".
#3 Coaching. (Now addressed) Rare is it that you can point to coaching in such an obvious manner but it was obviously a huge deficency last year. I like McLellan but he and his staff had a terrible year and these hires hopefully pull him and the team out of thier funk. Special teams/coaching given a serious shot in the arm. Hard not to like these changes with the way the season went.

#4 Deeper down the list in cause of failure is scoring/winger depth. Lucic was terrible. Guys that needed to take the next step did not. But we have one of the best 1,2,3 centers in the league. Should be able to build around that even with our cap restraints and Im very glad Chiarelli is staying the course on his build overall. Chiarelli clearly is follwoing a solid and proven plan with center depth and drafting wingers for the forwards and hopefully it pans out for us.

Two of the top 3 primary reasons Oilers failed have been addressed in a positive manner. We will need development from within and hopefully a cheap signing to come in and exceed all expectations. Bargin bin guys that have it finally click for them.
I firmly believe having Yawney here can help a lot with #2

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I find it hard to believe considering Gully only signed his contract on tuesday.

do you remember when this thread was started

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/manic-monday.2484257/

it was started in part due to the Finish goalie and in part due to GG's and Yawney names being linked to the oilers

April 27th Edmonton Journal

Glen Gulutzan & Trent Yawney expected to help coach Edmonton Oilers, Jay Woodcroft to Bakersfield

and a month later it happens--so sorry--saying that we were not given a heads up to either Yawney or GG is sticking your head in the sand and ignore the one month build up

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
do you remember when this thread was started

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/manic-monday.2484257/

it was started in part due to the Finish goalie and in part due to GG's and Yawney names being linked to the oilers

April 27th Edmonton Journal

Glen Gulutzan & Trent Yawney expected to help coach Edmonton Oilers, Jay Woodcroft to Bakersfield

and a month later it happens--so sorry--saying that we were not given a heads up to either Yawney or GG is sticking your head in the sand and ignore the one month build up

Who cares?

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
just saying

some posters are just being their usual self and just giving them evidence of why news that we knew about 4 weeks ago was dropped on take out the trash day

But why does any of this he said she said stuff matter? You seem to be going through a lot of trouble attempting to prove something that's irrelevant.

Reactions: Aerrol

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
oh I get it, just weird
fly in every 10th game, gets on the ice for a practice or 2, says a few words to the defencemen, then ****s off for another 2 weeks lol

it's Katz' money so he can pay him for it...but odd to say the least
I don’t mind the Coffey move now. We have stability in the coaching ranks headed into this season. Everybody has or will have defined roles. Last year was such a clusterf***. It was obvious changes needed to be made and the last thing fans wanted was an under qualified OBC guy worming his way into something he wasn’t qualified for yet again. Now when we hear he’s just a skills coach we can believe it.

Reactions: AVE MAN

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
This part is significant. There are options now if we need to go that route. Last year there weren’t any. Craig Mactavish was probably the only one in the entire organization that could have taken over on an interim basis.
The options are always there. McKenzie said as much this morning. It's not hard to find interim coaches

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB
This part is significant. There are options now if we need to go that route. Last year there weren’t any. Craig Mactavish was probably the only one in the entire organization that could have taken over on an interim basis.
IMO if TM is canned..GG will likely take over on the interm. Just basing this off of his defined role...seems like hes mostly an associate coach that an assistant...if there is a difference.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
The options are always there. McKenzie said as much this morning. It's not hard to find interim coaches
I can understand the reluctance to go outside the organization for an interim hire. You can do it, sure, but it’s just one more temporary voice the players hear.

Was there somebody inside the organization you’d have trusted to take over last year?

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Part of me is excited about this because this will be the first time in a long time that McLellan has some different voices on his staff.

He had Woodcroft on his staff going back to when they were both assistants with Detroit. Johnson he had for 6 years going back to the San Jose days.

Hopefully these guys bring some new ideas to the table. Granted Yawney has worked with McLellan in the past in San Jose, but that was 7 years ago.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003

I'm genuinely excited about Yawney joining the team. I'm not expecting any miracles, players can only do what they are capable of. But I'm really happy that we have a guy that should be able to get near to the most you can get out of the D we have now. Still up to management to get quality guys, but at least we don't have to worry that they are going to be screwed up by some incompetent coach.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
I was in the fire everyone camp, but this is good news to me. I like 2/3 of the assistant choices a lot, and Gulutzan is a decent choice in my view. At least he has the experience as a Head Coach.

Also fine with Coffey as a skills guy, tbh. I would have been mad if he was promoted directly to the PP coach though.

Also, @McCupofOil I wanted to continue our conversation from the closed thread as you had some good points, so

"Drai makes his money on the PP in the slot in closer quarters, getting off that quick wrister similar to Schiefele. He's not very accurate with his slapshot so I'd rather not see him in that role.

The Oilers don't really have a player with an accurate hard slapper. Pulju has a hard shot but he hasn't learned how to get his shot off quickly and accurately, that should come with confidence but it's a big question mark right now. As you said, they could use RNH in a floating role where he can sneak in down low from the one time spot but I don't see him being that guy regularly. Maybe the Oilers can sign somebody like Pirri, I don't know.

The Pens can make due with their Dman QBs out because they have Kessel and Malkin who are always a threat to score with their shot. All good PPs have those guys. Ovi, Stamkos, Pastrnak, Laine, Giroux, Pastrnak, Neal etc.
In the meantime, they need to put Drai in the slot, Lucic needs to park his big fat butt in front of the goalie and stay there, Klef needs to be healthy and McDavid needs to present the threat of a shot. All of those things were non-existent last season."

I think you overstate the difference between Kessel/Malkin and RNH/Drai's shots. Malkin maybe less so, as he's had a killer one timer for a while, but Kessel just fires really accurate wrist shots, which I think both RNH and Drai can do, and McDavid has started to show he can do as well. Neither Kessel or Malkin are on a level with Ovi/Stamkos/Laine in terms of big one timers though, and the Penguins compensated for that with a lot of puck movement and mobility down low (when Letang and Schultz were both hurt). They relied on the stickhandling and skating abilities of Kessel, Malkin, and Crosby to create space. That's something I think we can definitely mimic as we try and bandaid our shot from the point with Pulju/Klefbom/Larsson(?!).

Definitely opening to signing someone solely to be that point shot, though.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
Gultzan did great in Calgary considering they Iced a average 1st line a weak 3rd and 2 poor 4th lines for 2 seasons , he had them over acheive

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad