Post-Game Talk: Oilers defeat Canucks 5-2 (Santorelli, Hansen)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DatsyukNBure*

Not too worried. Great opportunity for the rookies to play against the top guys and learn from their mistakes.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Are you kidding? Yes, playing basically an entire roster of bottom sixers, AHLers, and worse against a mostly complete NHL roster is certainly an excuse for why the game went badly. Sure, sports movies have led us to expect some beer league team to go out there and win against a team of pros because they "want it more" or whatever other ********, but that's not real.

The funny thing is that it is real for some. They see team A vs. team B, and that's it. Reactions here only support that notion further.

The Strength of a team's roster makes up for most of the context in a game. Agree with you.

Last edited:

arsmaster*

Weise on Hall shouldn't have even been a penalty. Hall skates with his head low.

I hate that reckless players are now protected by the rules.

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
All of our top players sit out against their opening night roster. Not surprised whatsoever that they lost.

We're going to hate this team for a long, long time. A playoff series would be brutal.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Weise on Hall shouldn't have even been a penalty. Hall skates with his head low.

I hate that reckless players are now protected by the rules.

I disagree here. Weise was going to miss, and intentionally tried to catch Hall in the head with his shoulder. Even though the contact was minimal and Hall was uninjured, the intent was clear and it was a dumb move by Weise.

rune74

Oct 10, 2008
Well, looks like the league will react to the injury not the play.

Main boards wants Kassian suspended....we r the evils.

arsmaster*

He clipped his head, if he had made contact with the body I'd agree with you but that was a dirty head hit.

You can hit the head without it being "dirty".

Anyways when 6'0" tall Taylor Hall is skating around with head at about 5' tall he's liable to get hit in the head.

Just tired of that really. I could see if he left his feet or hit him in the head without Hall being bent over, but he didn't.

Guess I'm just old school.

I don't think either play is suspendable but I'm betting both get suspended. Have to start getting some offenders on a known dirty team, right?

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
You can hit the head without it being "dirty".

Anyways when 6'0" tall Taylor Hall is skating around with head at about 5' tall he's liable to get hit in the head.

Just tired of that really. I could see if he left his feet or hit him in the head without Hall being bent over, but he didn't.

Guess I'm just old school.

I don't think either play is suspendable but I'm betting both get suspended. Have to start getting some offenders on a known dirty team, right?

Most players don't skate completely upright...Weise clipped Hall's head instead of bailing on a missed hit...I don't think Weise is a dirty player, I just think that was a dirty play and should be punished.

I really don't understand why Weise's hearing is by phone and Kassian's is in-person though....makes no sense. Neither was really worthy of an in-person hearing.

SighReally

Sep 6, 2011
Kassian, Weise, Hansen, and Edler. Definitely filled with some of the dirtiest players in the league. What a disgrace.

Literally the Hitlers of the NHL.

enuck

Relax and enjoy
Jan 20, 2007
Under a palapa
Putting Alberts and Sestito on the ice to increase toughness is not a smart move. They both suck. You are sacrificing skill for toughness.

Also, Bruins were a tough team last year. Easily top three.

Good luck finding bottom skilled players for under 750,000 that don't 'suck'. They're good options given the cap issues. I still don't understand how Volpatti, with no better of an offensive upside, is considered an improvement over Sestito. I'll take a tough 6'5 228 pounder with 8 points in 57 games we can slot in over a 6' 200 pounder with 5 points in 75 games if it keeps the rabble rousers in check.

Alberts is cheap, ($600,000), hits hard and plays at a better level depending on who he's paired with - yeah he's bone headed at times but fits into the cap. Chances are most posters can't name very many depth defensemen around the league because, well, they're unremarkable and barely noticeable until they make a glaring error or take dumb penalties.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad