Oilers Darkening blue to navy for jerseys next year

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
PR isn't always about straight merit or following technicalities.

Yes but at some point asking for some modicum of intelligence isn't wrong. What next? Faux outrage that Hamilton wasn't invited to the 1984 Oilers reunion? Should someone be criticized for that too because someone else is too stupid to understand "1984" specifically means only the 83-84 team? The PR team of the Oilers is the least of this franchise's problems.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Yes but at some point asking for some modicum of intelligence isn't wrong. What next? Faux outrage that Hamilton wasn't invited to the 1984 Oilers reunion? Should someone be criticized for that too? The PR team of the Oilers is the least of this franchise's problems.

Yes, admittedly it's a problem that is magnified because of how poorly the rest of the organization has been. Is that fair to the PR team? Probably not. But when the rest of your organization has been as bad as it has recently, you should probably make sure your PR is well above par.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
The jerseys are fine (although it would be way cooler if they went to the Oil Gear or something new), the patch is terrible.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Yes, admittedly it's a problem that is magnified because of how poorly the rest of the organization has been. Is that fair to the PR team? Probably not. But when the rest of your organization has been as bad as it has recently, you should probably make sure your PR is well above par.

So basically include no.3 for the people who are too stupid to understand what 1979-2019 denotes because the front office is also stupid. What a treat it must be to work in this PR department. Perhaps signs should also be posted around the arena explaining how to tie one's shoelaces just in case.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
So basically include no.3 for the people who are too stupid to understand what 1979-2019 denotes because the front office is also stupid. What a treat it must be to work in this PR department.

I'm sure they get compensated fairly. To be honest, if I was a PR guy I'd like the challenge of it. Who wants to work PR for Amazon? That's boring. ;)

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet

It's not even about being well above par. This doesn't pass the lowest level smell test which is why it's so head scratching for me.

"Wait, won't people notice that #3 is absent?" Is a question that should have occured to every single person involved. From Nicholson on down to the artist that drew up the concepts.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
It's not even about being well above par. This doesn't pass the lowest level smell test which is why it's so head scratching for me.

"Wait, won't people notice that #3 is absent?" Is a question that should have occured to every single person involved. From Nicholson on down to the artist that drew up the concepts.

"We need to account for people who are stupid or can't count".

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
"We need to account for people who are stupid or can't count".

Yes, you've made it quite clear that you think anyone who disagrees with you on this issue is simply stupid.

Not sure what our exchange is adding to the discussion at this point so I won't respond again. Feel free to get the last word in if you like.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Yes, you've made it quite clear that you think anyone who disagrees with you on this issue is simply stupid.

Not sure what our exchange is adding to the discussion at this point so I won't respond again. Feel free to get the last word in if you like.

It's not an opinion when it's literal fact. The patch literally states what it is commemorating.

Getting mad about this is like getting mad that Al Hamilton wasn't invited to the 80s Oilers reunion, even when it was clearly stated that the reunion is for the 83-84 Oilers. Should he have also been invited to that to avoid some person not understanding what 1983-84 means?

the4thlinegrinder

Jul 25, 2011
The Bench
When I saw the patch yesterday I thought it was strange that #3 wasn’t on it. It’s comemerating the 40th anniversary of the Oilers entering the NHL, but doesn’t include the first number retired by the NHL Oilers? Seems arbitrary and unnecessary. Just put ‘3’ on there. I guess it’s a tier 2 retired jersey... :laugh:

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
When I saw the patch yesterday I thought it was strange that #3 wasn’t on it. It’s comemerating the 40th anniversary of the Oilers entering the NHL, but doesn’t include the first number retired by the NHL Oilers? Seems arbitrary and unnecessary. Just put ‘3’ on there. I guess it’s a tier 2 retired jersey... :laugh:

It's commemorating the Oilers NHL (read again: NHL) 40 year history. That is from 1979-2019. Again stated clearly on the patch.

Al Hamilton does not belong on the patch any more than he belongs at a 1984 Oilers reunion. He played 30 whopping games for the Oilers NHL team. He has next to nothing to do with the Oilers NHL history.

This isn't rocket science. His jersey was retired for his WHL days with the Oilers from 1972-1979, that has nothing to do with what this patch is commemorating.

the4thlinegrinder

Jul 25, 2011
The Bench
It's commemorating the Oilers NHL (read again: NHL) 40 year history. That is from 1979-2019. Again stated clearly on the patch.

Al Hamilton does not belong on the patch any more than he belongs at a 1984 Oilers reunion. He has next to nothing to do with the Oilers NHL history.

This isn't rocket science.
The NHL Oilers retired his jersey number at some point between 1979 and 2019. He didn’t play on the 1984 Oilers. So your comparison makes no sense.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
The NHL Oilers retired his jersey number at some point between 1979 and 2019. He didn’t play on the 1984 Oilers. So your comparison makes no sense.

His jersey was retired for his WHL play from 1972-1979. He has virtually no part of the 1979-2019 NHL era. He doesn't belong there. The patch is clear and straight forward as to which period of time it is commemorating.

He has zero business being on a patch celebrating the Oilers NHL history above the likes of Kevin Lowe, Bill Ranford, Ryan Smyth, Doug Weight, and about 1000 other Oiler players. He played 30 whopping games for the Oilers in the NHL. Drake Caggiula has played 4x more NHL games for the Oilers.

Last edited:

the4thlinegrinder

Jul 25, 2011
The Bench
His jersey was retired for his WHL play from 1972-1979. He has virtually no part of the 1979-2019 NHL era. He doesn't belong there. The patch is clear and straight forward as to which period of time it is commemorating.

He has zero business being on that patch above the likes of Kevin Lowe, Ryan Smyth, Doug Weight, and about 1000 other Oiler players. He played 30 whopping games for the Oilers in the NHL.
I can see what you’re getting at, but keep in mind that his #3 was the first retired by the NHL Oilers and that for the majority of seasons between 79 and 19 no Oiler has been able to wear #3 because of that. So in that sense he has been a part of the NHL era.

But if the Oilers insist on discluding him from these sort of honours then perhaps it’s time to unretire his number rather than have 2 tiers of retired numbers.

the4thlinegrinder

Jul 25, 2011
The Bench
How would people feel about a green and gold Oiler 3rd jersey in the style of the Eskimos and Golden Bears? Perhaps with “EDMONTON” on the front ala NYR jerseys and the Oiler logo on the shoulders.

Reactions: Jeff Lebowski

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I can see what you’re getting at, but keep in mind that his #3 was the first retired by the NHL Oilers and that for the majority of seasons between 79 and 19 no Oiler has been able to wear #3 because of that. So in that sense he has been a part of the NHL era.

But if the Oilers insist on discluding him from these sort of honours then perhaps it’s time to unretire his number rather than have 2 tiers of retired numbers.

It's not about "tiers" it's about what the patch is representing, the patch clearly states it's celebrating the Oilers NHL era which is 1979-2019. Hamilton has virtually nothing to do with the Oilers for that period. Anton Slepyshev played more games as an Oiler than Hamilton.

Al Hamilton does not belong on that patch, any more than Radek Dvorak should've been on the 2006 Stanley Cup if the Oilers had won it or having Paul Coffey join the 1988 Oilers reunion.

Hamilton didn't freaking play for the Oilers in the NHL aside from the tiniest stint imaginable, just because he has a retired jersey for WHL play doesn't mean he's automatically attached at the hip with Gretzky et all when it comes to NHL (a completely different league) history.

the4thlinegrinder

Jul 25, 2011
The Bench
It's not about "tiers" it's about what the patch is representing, the patch clearly states it's celebrating the Oilers NHL era which is 1979-2019. Hamilton has virtually nothing to do with the Oilers for that period. Anton Slepyshev played more games as an Oiler than Hamilton.

Al Hamilton does not belong on that patch, any more than Radek Dvorak should've been on the 2006 Stanley Cup if the Oilers had won it or having Paul Coffey join the 1988 Oilers reunion.

Hamilton didn't freaking play for the Oilers in the NHL aside from the tiniest stint imaginable, just because he has a retired jersey for WHL play doesn't mean he's automatically attached at the hip with Gretzky et all when it comes to NHL (a completely different league) history.
How many NHL seasons would he have had to play in order to be included on the patch?

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
How many NHL seasons would he have had to play in order to be included on the patch?

Is a half-season asking for too much?

When Anton Slepyshev has played more games as an NHL Oiler, you're not really part of the Oilers NHL history. That's not a slight to Hamilton as a person, that's just freaking reality. He has nothing to do with the Oilers history as it pertains to the NHL, which is the period of time the patch is representing.

He is part of the Oilers WHL history, and if the Oilers wants to do a patch celebrating that era, then great, his number can be included in that proper context.

If a patch is celebrating the Oilers NHL history then it should be reserved for players who actually played for the Oilers in a meaningful way during their NHL history. I don't see what about that is so mind boggling to some.

the4thlinegrinder

Jul 25, 2011
The Bench
Is a half-season asking for too much?

When Anton Slepyshev has played more games as an NHL Oiler, you're not really part of the Oilers NHL history. That's not a slight to Hamilton as a person, that's just freaking reality. He has nothing to do with the Oilers history as it pertains to the NHL, which is the period of time the patch is representing.

He is part of the Oilers WHL history, and if the Oilers wants to do a patch celebrating that era, then great, his number can be included in that proper context.

If a patch is celebrating the Oilers NHL history then it should be reserved for players who actually played for the Oilers in a meaningful way during their NHL history. I don't see what about that is so mind boggling to some.
So I’ll ask again, how many seasons would it take make the cut? 4? 5? That’s why it seems arbitrary to some people (including myself). The guy played for and had his number retired by the Oilers after 1979, but his number isn’t included in the retired number section. So what exactly is the cut-off?

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
Let's find every hockey jersey of teams named the "Oilers" and use their uniforms. Trade them out every 2 or 3 seasons. Tulsa, Okotoks, Bakersfield, Bridgeport, Connecticut, Norwalk, Peterborough, Portland, Richfield, Stavanger, Stevenage and Turner Valley.

Team History at Hockeydb.com

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
So I’ll ask again, how many seasons would it take make the cut? 4? 5? That’s why it seems arbitrary to some people (including myself). The guy played for and had his number retired by the Oilers after 1979, but his number isn’t included in the retired number section. So what exactly is the cut-off?

At least one season minimum. This guy's jersey was retired for his play in the WHL.That's great. Good for him.

This patch however is for the NHL history of the Oilers. That is a completely different league. He did virtually nothing for the Oilers in their NHL history and has no business being acknowledged in that way when the patch is specifically about the Oilers NHL history.

This is not complicated.

Just because your jersey is retired for a certain period also doesn't mean you're part of that period, that's also stupid. Wayne Gretzky's jersey was retired by the Oilers in 1999, does that mean he's part of the Oilers 90s history? We retired his jersey for his contributions to the franchise in the 1980s.

the4thlinegrinder

Jul 25, 2011
The Bench
At least one season minimum. This guy's jersey was retired for his play in the WHL.That's great. Good for him.

This patch however is for the NHL history of the Oilers. That is a completely different league. He did virtually nothing for the Oilers in their NHL history and has no business being acknowledged in that way when the patch is specifically about the Oilers NHL history.

This is not complicated.
Fair enough. Probably best to agree to disagree at this point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad