Post-Game Talk: Oilers at Rangers - November 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
AV not known as a coach that's done that very often. Singleing out top guys like that. Even Vesey that's maybe his first bad period and a half I've even seen. Almost like AV wanted to give the old torts " don't let it get to good for you". Bringing those guys back down to earth.

I expect the lines to be back to normal for next game.

Like the urgency from AV on this one. We constantly bemoan him for not making in game adjustments.

Anthony5967

Dec 24, 2015
Strong Island, NY
yeah the guy named Pavel Buchnevich was up in arms about it.

even though it makes ZERO sense to break up a line thats on absolute fire.

I saw it. That is ludicrous to actually want to break up a line that has what? 22 points in their last 4 games or so? I saw the stat on MSG and forgot but they are scorching and some think that Grabner will eventually flame out. I wouldn't sit there and bank on that. Guy has terrific speed and good hands and is smart, he is making it easier for Hayes and Miller and those guys and their skill are making it easier for Grabs. Really solid line. Plus the Buch-Pirri-Fast line is real good as well. No need to shake up anything. Oh....and the "garbage" d this team has has a 2.26 GAA I believe. Nick Holden! Guy is like +10! Guarantee the corsi says otherwise.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
yep..and honestly even if it didnt, it was the absolute right call..all 3 of those guys were atrocious.

There was 5-6 forwards who were atrocious through 2 periods, my bone is that he singled out certain ones.

Doesn't matter though, we got the 2 points :)

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Maybe swap Vesey with Zuci - and get Nash in his natural left wing position - Stepan need a goal soon to raise his confidence level.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
On Nash looking happy and celebrating goals: I think he's 100% healthy and he actually feels great out there and feels like he's able to make the plays that he wants to make and not limited by his body due to injury. Also being able to shake off the mental block that can accompany injuries is huge.

Nash looks awesome.

Also something I brought up in the GDT that I'm wondering if other people notice: Mika has a tendency to stop moving his feet a little too much. I notice it on 50/50 pucks and in the O-zone he has a tendency to stop moving his feet and to start power gliding a little too much. I notice it especially on 50/50 pucks where if he took that extra step he would win the puck but he goes into a glide towards it and just loses the battle. I'd like to have someone tell him to use his motor and to keep moving his feet. He has great speed and he's really strong but I feel like he neutralizes himself a little bit at times. Not a big deal, he's only 23 and he's still growing as a player, it's just something I've noticed.

trilobyte

Regulated User
Dec 9, 2008
RangersTown
The Rangers swallowed Draisatl up tonight.

Eberle too.

Eberle has lost his mojo. It is entirely speculative on my part, but he would have done better elsewhere. He used to be Captain Canada as a junior, and I actually think he could have kept his edge, but not in the morass that Edmonton's stockpiling of talent became.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
On Nash looking happy and celebrating goals: I think he's 100% healthy and he actually feels great out there and feels like he's able to make the plays that he wants to make and not limited by his body due to injury. Also being able to shake off the mental block that can accompany injuries is huge.

Nash looks awesome.

Yes, but Zuci got the line going, and what a snipe by Nash - that was an elite scorer rebound top quality goal!

I doubt AV will do it based on line balance, because then u have 3 of the best 2 ways players on the same line.
Nash - Stepan - Zuci

However if the Zib line get some offensive zone start with Vesey on it. It might work out as well! :)

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
Totally forgot they signed Lucic. 7 year deal seems like it won't be great for the team down the road though. Then again, it hardly ever is.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
and on the flip side, i agree with whoever said Holden was good tonight..he had a few TERRIFIC stick/poke checks on McJesus to break up some sustained plays.

Also... McJesus is really really good...i can see the hype...boy oh boy hes so fun to watch.

trilobyte

Regulated User
Dec 9, 2008
RangersTown
I remember when he used to get at least two breakaways against us a night but never score. Seems like he grew a pair of hands to go with those legs.

That's all I ever remembered about Grabner. I kept scratching my head. I always saw the allure, just never resulted in much over the last few seasons. He looks different.

SRTtoZ

Apr 3, 2010
New York, NY
Great game. We looked off from the start but still managed to beat a very good/fast team. I think we are legit this year and people are starting to get the message.

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
Oil fan in peace

miller+Grabner were ridiculous, they feed off each other so well.

McDonagh is a beast.

Hank is Hank.

Great game

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
On NHL Network Weekes just said that Grabner is built like Rod Brindamour, lol...

Didnt hear him say that but did hear his bit on Grabner being the new Hagelin, which I think is 100% accurate. It was said by many as last year went on that Hagelin was a much bigger loss than we originally realized. We knew it stung but not how much. Losing Hagelin meant losing a huge part of our identity and game which was incredible speed that led to relentless forechecking, closing space and time, etc. We have reclaimed that with Grabner. And imo has better scoring ability than Hagelin.

I'll take all the breakaways where he doesnt score because it means the puck is in the opponents end and not ours especially on the pk. And right now he is the perfect compliment to Hayes and Miller. For what reason more than any? Because on breakouts from our own end and through the neutral zone, his speed pushes the defense back because they have to watch for the pass to the streaking Grabner. This just opens up clean ice for Miller and Hayes, especially Hayes to come across the blueline slow up and setup for offensive zone possession.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Where can I get that hat that Hank has been wearing in every post game presser? I went through the whole NHL shop and it's not on there.

That hat is sick and I need it.

DudMan28

Jan 30, 2013
Just watched the highlights. The best part about the Nash goal? Lucic was the guy that was supposed to be covering him. Doesn't body him in front then whiffs on the rebound. ****ing troll.

The Lunatic Fridge

why is my name here?
Aug 20, 2008
New York
Am i the only one that thought the best skater on the ice was actually grabner not hayes?

Don't get me wrong, most of the forwards were great but i thought grabner was just ridiculous out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad