Post-Game Talk: Oilers at Rangers - November 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Was at the game last night. Great crowd. Edmonton is electric - a lot of fun to watch.

The biggest thing this year for me is the forward depth. The top line or two ended up matched against McDavid, who by the way is unbelievable (amazing analysis I know), and spent some time on the defensive. But the Hayes and Pirri lines were able to smash their lower lines. That seems to be the key lately - match our top lines, basically try to play even, and let our lower lines dominate theirs.

If one of our lines is completely taken out of a game this year, its fine. Last year? Not so much.

ponytrekker

Mar 28, 2013
Was at the game last night. Great crowd. Edmonton is electric - a lot of fun to watch.

The biggest thing this year for me is the forward depth. The top line or two ended up matched against McDavid, who by the way is unbelievable (amazing analysis I know), and spent some time on the defensive. But the Hayes and Pirri lines were able to smash their lower lines. That seems to be the key lately - match our top lines, basically try to play even, and let our lower lines dominate theirs.

If one of our lines is completely taken out of a game this year, its fine. Last year? Not so much.
Deep enough where if AV wants to run 1-3-4 for 30 min he can.

JanErixon20

Aug 7, 2007
Didn't read the whole thread....am I the only one who came away unimpressed with Edmonton? I thought they played a boring game, for the most part, and scored three flukey goals. Maybe I just expected more from them? Anyway, on to Boston.

nyr__1994

Apr 4, 2006
Raleigh, NC
I thought the entire D had difficulty with McDavid's speed.

McDavid is one of, if not the best player in the league right now. He has Chris Kreider top end speed, with unreal acceleration, edge work and agility. Combine that with his hands as well, and he will make most defenders look bad at least once a game. I though the Rangers as a whole did a pretty good job of making him defend instead of trying to defend him.

The end result - he was a minus 3 with one assist on the Power Play.

Kaapo Cabana

Next name: Admiral Kakkbar
Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia
Didn't read the whole thread....am I the only one who came away unimpressed with Edmonton? I thought they played a boring game, for the most part, and scored three flukey goals. Maybe I just expected more from them? Anyway, on to Boston.

I was actually very impressed by their backchecking ability. It seemed as if they really neutralized our East-West game by taking away passing lanes. We have scored quite a few highlight reel goals so far due to our quick cross ice passing, and they totally took that away. It seemed at times that every pass we made was either intercepted or deflected.

We had to manufacture goals from deflections and rebounds to win this game, which is a great sign and shows that our offense can score in multiple ways.

The Oilers have had the offense to be competitive, and they now seem to be playing responsible defense. If Cam can be consistent, they are a playoff team in a weak division.

JanErixon20

Aug 7, 2007
I was actually very impressed by their backchecking ability. It seemed as if they really neutralized our East-West game by taking away passing lanes. We have scored quite a few highlight reel goals so far due to our quick cross ice passing, and they totally took that away. It seemed at times that every pass we made was either intercepted or deflected.

We had to manufacture goals from deflections and rebounds to win this game, which is a great sign and shows that our offense can score in multiple ways.

The Oilers have had the offense to be competitive, and they now seem to be playing responsible defense. If Cam can be consistent, they are a playoff team in a weak division.

I thought they played more of a wide open game. I saw what you saw, which is clogging things up and slowing down the game. Boring, but effective, I guess.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
One reason for Nash's resurgence this year is he's not the 'guy' anymore--nor is his line the 'line' nor is he necessarily even the biggest 'threat' on his line. If team's concentrate too much on him when his line is on the ice then Vesey finds a seam in their defense. If his line sees the top pair and best defensive players on the other teams then the Zibanejad and Hayes lines get better matchups.

JT and Hayes have been fantastic but Grabner has been too. Our PK has been much better and Grabner's been knocking in goals. I wasn't expecting a lot of that.

Pirri, Fast and Buchnevich have been good too. Hopefully Buchnevich connects soon. That will be a monkey off his back. But there's a couple others still--Stepan and McDonagh and it would be good for Skjei to score one too.

Waivers

Sep 27, 2013
NY
Skeletons in the closet post...

Skjei looked VERY good out there. Oilers are so ****ing fast, if McIlrath was out there he would've been EATEN alive. Girardi was bad, but that's what happens when a speedy team exposes slower players.

Laughing when people wanted McIlrath in the line-up instead of Skjei as a regular, it's not even close how good Skjei can be vs. McIlrath's potential.

kramer987

Mar 4, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
hfboards.com
One reason for Nash's resurgence this year is he's not the 'guy' anymore--nor is his line the 'line' nor is he necessarily even the biggest 'threat' on his line. If team's concentrate too much on him when his line is on the ice then Vesey finds a seam in their defense. If his line sees the top pair and best defensive players on the other teams then the Zibanejad and Hayes lines get better matchups.

can you say, brad richards, hossa, gaborik, malkin, kessel syndrome? all these guys are highly skilled players who only play well in supporting roles, at which time they excel tremendously.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
It's kind of crazy we are scoring this much and we only have 3 goals from our defense (Girardi with 2, Staal with 1). McDonagh, Skjei and Holden are getting assists. Klein has no points in 8 games, which is surprising since he's had 9 goals and 17 assists in each of the last 2 seasons.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Have to admit I was not very high on Grabner this off-season, but he's played way better than I thought he would.

Always wanted 12 or more NHL level forwards, with added motor and tenacity, they did a good job.

And coaching is actually using them all, it's like they had some eureka moment this off-season and all of management, coaching and the players jumped onto the same page.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Not for nothing, but the second half of the game AV decided to go with Staal-Holden vs McDavid and his line was quiet for the rest of the game. I thought Staal-Holden and Skjei-Klein both looked very good together.

DudMan28

Jan 30, 2013
Forgot who they interviewed, maybe Hayes, but he said the Rangers were definitely caught off guard by the team speed of the Oilers. I think once they adjusted they settled in nicely. AV coached a hell of a game, and our third line stayed red hot.

Skjei is improving every game. Zib needs to be more consistent, and has to start hitting the net on the PP. Hank kept us in this one with some big saves. Good game by Holden.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Staal-Holden and Klein-Skjei hae both been really, really good pairings together. Once Holden dropped down a notch from getting top competition consistently, his game improved drastically. He's been much better making plays at the blue line and getting the puck out of the zone.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Last night also marks the end of McDonagh's assist streak, I think ending in 8-9 games?

Mika has 2 goals and is shooting at 6.1%; expecting a big night for him very soon. Almost broke the post against the Blues.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Last night also marks the end of McDonagh's assist streak, I think ending in 8-9 games?

Mika has 2 goals and is shooting at 6.1%; expecting a big night for him very soon. Almost broke the post against the Blues.

Also there's no reason why we shouldn't be going back to KZB. like, now.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Well where do you putt Zucc? Would have to put Vesey on the 4th line unless you want to break up the Hayes line

you're right, kinda stuck here. you have to make some sacrifices though if the top 6 keeps this up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad