Rumor: Oilers asking teams interested in Puljujarvi to take Lucic's contract

93oilerfan93

Apr 2, 2018
Yeah, so, the Oilers retain more then the Canes, So nothing.

Edit: Looks like he swap those retentions, but it doesn't matter, you're also taking back a major cap dump from the Canes, waste of the Oilers time if their retaining any money on Lucic. They don't need to do the Canes a favour

i didn't swap the retention they were same just like all my other previous deals lol

As for the oilers if you think were getting out of the Lucic contract with a nice smile and a handshake your out of your mind, we are losing every single Lucic trade get used to it

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
i didn't swap the retention they were same just like all my other previous deals lol

As for the oilers if you think were getting out of the Lucic contract with a nice smile and a handshake your out of your mind, we are losing every single Lucic trade get used to it

So what are we taking on Darling's contract? You're swapping one dead contract for another.

Better to look at Lucic, a 1st and Puljujarvi and see what positive asset can come back. Even then... that's a lot.

I wonder if by the time of the Seattle Expansion Draft Edmonton wouldn't just pitch them a good pick to take Lucic (strong assumption he waives for them).

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Who is that guy? I don't believe him. No one is trading for Lucic.
I remember hearing similar things about Clarkson and Bolland, it's more about how much incentive you are willing to give to get someone to take on a contract. I do think teams will ask for too much to take on Lucic's contract at this precise moment, but after his 2020 signing bonus is paid and is owed $10M in actual dollars over 3 years, I believe some salary cap floor team will take him on with an appropriate amount of incentive to do so.

Reactions: TFHockey

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
So what are we taking on Darling's contract? You're swapping one dead contract for another.

Better to look at Lucic, a 1st and Puljujarvi and see what positive asset can come back. Even then... that's a lot.

I wonder if by the time of the Seattle Expansion Draft Edmonton wouldn't just pitch them a good pick to take Lucic (strong assumption he waives for them).
The latter makes much more sense. With how close Seattle is to Vancouver (Lucic's hometown) you'd have to think he'd at least consider it.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
You don't know what they'll do. If Edmonton sweetens the pot with a decent pick they might pick Lucic. Anyone's guess.

I expect they will build with speed and puckmoving ability like Vegas. Lucic does not fit that mold. But you never know if the Oil really sweeten the deal and Looch waives his nmc. Lots if hurdles...

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
They very well might not unless there's incentive for them to do so. But in that case it would be a much better option for Edmonton than dumping both assets and receiving no immediate cap relief.
Yeah, taking in Darling makes no sense.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Deal is done after July 1st so Edmonton can pay Lucic Bonus of $3 Million

Edmonton:
Scott Darling AAV of $4.15 million for 2 years (at $7.1 Million Money Owed)
AAV of $1.2 Million Retained on Lucic Contract 4 Years at ($3.2 Million Money Owed)

Carolina:
Jesse Puljujarvi
$1.8 Million AAV retained Milan Lucic Contract 4 Years at $4.8 Million Money Owed)
6th Round Pick 2020 (Los Angles)

Los Angeles:
Milan Lucic AAV of $3 Million for 4 years (at $8 Million Money Owed)
2nd Round Pick 2020 (Carolina)
3rd round pick 2020 (Edmonton)

Carolina reasoning:

-Tom dundon saves $2.3 million in real money
-Considering Carolina might not be a team that spend right to the $84 million dollar cap, that retained on Lucic doesn't really effect anything
-Giving up a 2nd round pick for Puljujarvi is a great gamble by Carolina and hope he can bring some magic back with Aho and get rid of the Scott Darling contract and save the owner some money

Los Angeles reasoning:

-i know for some posters the Expansion draft might be an issue but with the LA Kings going through a rebuild and a lot of guys getting traded and with expiring contract there isn't much to protect when it comes to LA

-As i've mentioned before i think Lucic wouldn't mind going to Seattle so his NMC won't be an issue

(LA Fans help me out not sure who you guys would protect or not)

Kopitar
Kempe
Iafallo
Wagner?
Grundstrom?
Brown? Out of Loyalty?

Doughty
Ladue?

There might be a huge shift with the LA Kings this coming offseason,
these are the names rumoured to be on the move in Los Angeles throughout the offseason and next year

Kovalchuk ($6.25 million) (UFA by the time Expansion Draft happens)
Carter ($5.27 million) (Will be traded some where else by then or threaten retirement if taken by Seattle)
Toffoli ($4.6 million) (UFA next year)
Lewis ($2.0 million) (UFA next year)
Clifford ($1.6 million) (UFA next year)
Martinez ($4.0 million) (UFA by the time Expansion Draft happens)
Quick ($5.8 million) (More Likely traded but if not he'll be the goalie they'll protect)

$25.52 million AAV gone from the cap

-On top of it to there are a lot of guys gone from that team, so its good to have a character guy around and somebody who Kopitar, Doughty and Brown know and like
-Adding a guy who doesn't really effect the salary cap and getting a couple of draft picks back might be of interest

Oilers reasoning:

-Lose a good prospect, lose a draft pick, take back a bad contract and retain on Lucic is a lot from the oilers standpoint

-Now that Puljujarvi had his hip surgery we don't know whats going to happen with him, why trade offer is alot more crappy for the oilers then previous

-You can give back up duty to Darling and send him down whenever, give some games to Starret who's playing some good hockey in the AHL and maybe give Dylan Wells 1 or 2 game or worst case sign a cheap back up for next season

-Have Darling their for one year, then look to buy him out or retain and trade him again next off season, maybe just maybe he can get his career back on track

-I could see the oilers keep Lucic for one more year but it matters of the urgency of them getting rid of the Contract and wanting to change things up

-I don't think oilers are going to be a huge player this off season for the big time guys so we can take on some salary now if it means we clear out a lot for later, the next 2 years are going to be a slower process in edmonton so darling contract won't be an issue

-Somebody commented last time about Lucic back issue and he'll end up going on LTIR, so there also that scenario we'll see what happens there

-I heard from a decent source that i know (also is a Season Ticket holder), that Edmonton and Montreal had a deal worked out where the building blocks were centered around a Lucic for Alzner swap, Lucic agreed to waive his NMC and wanted to play there but Montreal wanted Edmonton to Retain $2.00 million AAV so thats why the deal fell through, I'm not a 100% sure if Puljujarvi was involved or not, hopefully i can find that out

Also of note i find it weird that Lucic was playing his best hockey this season around deadline time, then once that ended, back to not doing well anymore even though their battling for a playoff spot

Which explains this tweet from Roger Dicklund

Tell me what you guys think i always enjoy your comments thanks for reading!!

you certainly value players much differently then I do.

I think Carolina makes out like superbandit here... but who knows how their owner feels about dollars in his pocket? as far as on the ice goes its a grand slam win

LA... one of the premium 'goons' in hockey for just 3 mill??? look what was paid for ryan reeves. lucic may never be a 60 point guy ever again but he is a 12-15 min a night physical monster that scares the crap out of the other side. he needs to feel like its worth it to go out and do the job... playing physical hurts and no one wants to do that on a crap team out of the playoffs, but if lucic was in a playoff game, he can absolutely dummy soft players with huge body checks and make them quit. he is easily worth a 3 mill cap hit to a lot of teams

Edmonton... gets to give away 2 guys that will likely play in their top 9 and pick up a cap anchor that could play in the ahl plus give away a draft pick too????

wow... I hate Edmonton so id laugh if this deal ever happened but wow. are you sure you arent a flames fan?

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Does Lucic waive the NMC to go to those teams?

Absolutely, NJ lets you live in the New York/Manhattan area and the travel is better, Arizona is great weather and close to LA where his family wanted to be anyway.

The only team I can see him not waiving for is maybe Ottawa, and even that he may opt to waive. Fresh start, less travel. Edmonton is just a bad fit for him, he can't keep up with McDavid or read off Draisaitl and I doubt he is happy.

Last edited:

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Quoted for truth...

But why isn't just sending him (at camp) to the AHL for a full year an option. Bring him up only if he's strung together 40+ games of 1.25ppg or something dominant like that?

I get that we can't send him back and forth, but does he need to pass through waivers just to be assigned in Sept?

he would need to clear waivers which he would not. He will not play in the AHL next year unless it is on a rehab stint due to an injury.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
you certainly value players much differently then I do.

I think Carolina makes out like superbandit here... but who knows how their owner feels about dollars in his pocket? as far as on the ice goes its a grand slam win

LA... one of the premium 'goons' in hockey for just 3 mill??? look what was paid for ryan reeves. lucic may never be a 60 point guy ever again but he is a 12-15 min a night physical monster that scares the crap out of the other side. he needs to feel like its worth it to go out and do the job... playing physical hurts and no one wants to do that on a crap team out of the playoffs, but if lucic was in a playoff game, he can absolutely dummy soft players with huge body checks and make them quit. he is easily worth a 3 mill cap hit to a lot of teams

Edmonton... gets to give away 2 guys that will likely play in their top 9 and pick up a cap anchor that could play in the ahl plus give away a draft pick too????

wow... I hate Edmonton so id laugh if this deal ever happened but wow. are you sure you arent a flames fan?

A grand slam? Superbandits?

Carolina doesn’t touch Lucic. They can buy Darling out themselves and not waste a protection slot on Lucic in the expansion draft. Puljujarvi isn’t enticing and his connection to Aho is overrated.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
The Oilers are 9-5-2 with a healthy Sekera + Klefbom in the lineup. They had 103 points the last time the two of them were healthy for a season.

They might want to hold off on dumping Sekera for nothing.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
I believe he's a family man now. I think that was a factor as to why he chose Edmonton. I know he wanted to stay in LA but the Kings didn't want to keep him.
thanks for that update......

but even in Jersey, there is plenty to do for a family outings.....

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
thanks for that update......

but even in Jersey, there is plenty to do for a family outings.....

Sure. Some places are and aren't good for raising families though.

But I have a feeling that Edmonton is going to somehow get Seattle to take on Lucic by making a dumb trade come the expansion draft. Unless there's (god forbid) a lockout for half of the season and each team gets compliance buyouts. I know exactly who each team would buy out. Even trades will likely be involved.

Reactions: LDF

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
La says no. At a recent ticket holders meeting Luc and Blake both said the kings will be getting young Trying to get the average age of the club down to 24-25 A 30 + Lucic is the last thing la needs especially for a 2nd and 3rd

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
0% chance the kings take on lucic

-100% chance the kings take on lucic for a second and a third

100% chance this thread gets closed

this is really bad all around

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad