Rumor: Oilers asking teams interested in Puljujarvi to take Lucic's contract

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Isn't buy-out option for Oilers?. I doubt anyone willing to take him and his contract.
It isn't worth it to buy him out yet. Or at least, it hasn't been. They don't save much real money, just cap space, and every year he plays, his contract becomes less awful from a financial perspective. His contract hurts us, but we only gain half of it back if we buy him out.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Having a surgery that major at his age is a definite concern.

And he is a bust. Things could obviously change, but at this point he's a bust until he proves otherwise.

He was drafted 3 years ago at 4th overall and only has a 0.27 PPG.
Bust means he is done. No chance of redemption. Has he lived up to expectations? No. That doesn't make him a bust, unless you are using the word differently than everyone else.

smirob

Jun 2, 2014
Is there a deal around Russell + Puljuarvi that would work between EDM and Montreal?

Montreal basically has a clean slate next season when it comes to defence, and Russell would be fine to fill a spot on our bottom pair (and we can handle the cap hit), though he has negative value imo

What would EDM fans want in return?

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
Honestly, at this point saving a few hundred thousand + freeing up a contract/roster spot could be worth it

Most likely not his cap hit is worth at least a second line player when pressed. Honestly they should just trade thier forst and Lucic and move on. They would be way better off on the long run.

Reactions: Menzinger

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
Is there a deal around Russell + Puljuarvi that would work between EDM and Montreal?

Montreal basically has a clean slate next season when it comes to defence, and Russell would be fine to fill a spot on our bottom pair (and we can handle the cap hit), though he has negative value imo

Edit: never mind. I read your proposal wrong.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Carolina, Arizona or New Jersey would likely be possibilities here.

I don’t think Carolina is. Canes will have TTs new deal, Ahos new deal, an increase in goal, and have to sign and/or replace Ferland. Their owner doesn’t like to waste money.

Plus, For the 100th time, i can’t see them taking him on with his NMC only to have to protect him.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I don’t think Carolina is. Canes will have TTs new deal, Ahos new deal, an increase in goal, and have to sign and/or replace Ferland. Their owner doesn’t like to waste money.

Plus, For the 100th time, i can’t see them taking him on with his NMC only to have to protect him.

Corrected, thank you.

AzKing

Feb 4, 2019
Newport Coast, CA
You have to add more than that if you want someone to take on Lucic. Lucic has an albatross of a contract and Puljujarvi is not a guy who is in great demand right now. If they added in the 1st rounder, then they probably would get a lot more interest. That doesn't mean Edmonton would do that but they are essentially asking teams to take their trash and what is looking like a draft miss right now while also helping them with their cap so it will most likely be painful.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta

Wingers. We need wingers so badly, ha ha. What wingers do you have available that we could get in return for those two? Preferably cheap ones who can play in our middle six.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
You have to add more than that if you want someone to take on Lucic. Lucic has an albatross of a contract and Puljujarvi is not a guy who is in great demand right now. If they added in the 1st rounder, then they probably would get a lot more interest. That doesn't mean Edmonton would do that but they are essentially asking teams to take their trash and what is looking like a draft miss right now while also helping them with their cap so it will most likely be painful.

Always reminds me of Iron maiden...

LMFAO

May 20, 2010

I feel like a Russel for Byron deal works for both sides.

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016
Edmonton fans, is there any hope Puljujarvi can turn it around you think?

based on what youve seen of his play - is he simply a bust or someone who could break out with a change of scenery

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Edmonton fans, is there any hope Puljujarvi can turn it around you think?

based on what youve seen of his play - is he simply a bust or someone who could break out with a change of scenery
I think he still has potential. Edmonton has no idea how to develop prospects, so I have no doubts that he would flourish somewhere else. I don't consider any 20 year old a bust, but that's just me.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

yababy

Jun 26, 2015

Gallagher

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
I say this about nearly ALL Oiler prospects, even Draisaitl (who I was right about).

Puljujaarvi should have spent another year in the FEL, and a full year in the AHL before given spot duty between the AHL / NHL.

Instead what we did, was allow him to get completely shell-shocked in the NHL as an 18 year old, playing barely a handful of minutes between pressbox visits, and sending him down to the AHL for sporatic periods, with recalls that made absolutely zero sense (4 games? WTF?).

Then we bring him up to the big club just to be shell-shocked and sit in the press-box.

He needs to piece together both his game, and his confidence while learning to grow into his massive man-body. Something he was doing quite nicely in the AHL in a winning environment.

Unfortunately next season he will be waiver eligible, so we pretty much screwed his development window already. I really doubt he passes through waivers.

Thing is, Puljujaarvi never had a dominant season in Karpat either. His numbers (while decent for an underager) wasn't great. He never got to dominate the FEL in his overage year like Aho did.

Oilers did what they did with every other rookie they ruined (or nearly ruined).
Kept him up on the big club to completely shatter all their confidence, while they look for cheats and shortcuts to stay afloat, rather than learning to grow and think the game the proper way.

In Draisaitl's first year, he was being destroyed on the Oilers. In 37 games he had 2 goals and 9 points. When he was mercifully sent back to Junior he was mediocre for the first few games before regaining his mojo, and dominating that league enroute to a Memorial Cup MVP performance.

Last edited:
Reactions: bucks_oil

DropIt

Oct 21, 2009
Red Deer, AB
I hope it doesnt happen as a Flames fan but you would have to think Ottawa is the type of team to take Lucic's contract on for some good futures considering how far out they are.

Something like JP + Lucic + 3rd for Boedker

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad