Post-Game Talk: Oilers 4 Bruins 3 - Patty Maroon Hatrick!

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Excuse my ignorance but is this Patrick's first Hattrick?

This one is a beauty. Need to lock him up.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Yep, that's his first, and he's now shattering his previous best goal total (11) :handclap:

Thanks, couldn't find it anywhere so I figured as much, particularly given his usual yearly goal totals. Would LOVE to see him break 20 (hope that isn't a jinx), the only downside being he will cost a penny to re-sign, but that would be worth it :handclap:

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
Superglue Maroon to McDavid and slap the man who ever breaks them apart.

McXLNC97

Mar 20, 2007
B.C.
Interesting fact i noticed, the Oilers have only lost by more than 2 goals twice this season. First one was that blowout loss to the Sabers, and the other was the 4-1 loss in Anaheim.

Lessy

Jul 21, 2004
Sudbury
Only thing that worries me is whether or not Maroon is the type who would be willing to settle in Edmonton long term.

Being Connor McDavid's left winger would be an awfully nice incentive to stay. Unfortunately it's kind of a catch-22 in that playing with McDavid is going to pump his value bigtime.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
So, using data from naturalstattrick and Corsica, I believe Maroon-McDavid-Drai have been on the ice for 4 goals for in ~35 minutes of ice time together 5v5 this season (so ~6.8 GF/60).

Lucic-McDavid-Ebs have been on the ice for 6 goals for in 210 minutes 5v5 (~1.7 GF/60)

This suggests to me that McLellan will definitely be leaning towards icing the Lucic-McDavid-Ebs line again soon

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
One play where he got stripped of the puck and he was benched.

But Pouliot can single-handedly give away games and generally suck, yet he's still cool and fine, and continues to play, instead of putting his ass in the pressbox where he deserves to be. TMc-ness. God he loves his vets WAY too damn much.

Glad to see McDavid get 2 points, and Klefbom was a +2. And 2 points for the team. I'll take it.

PossessedHockeyCard*

Aug 11, 2016
Edmonton
Superglue Maroon to McDavid and slap the man who ever breaks them apart.

Oh they'll be split, once they have a couple bad shifts in a row and Lucic is having his rare moments, you can bet McTodd will put Lucic with McDavid again for 10+ games, forgiving his countless mistakes every single night; then split them up for a couple games again. Rinse. Repeat. Insanity

Maroon was beast tonight
nj bois

North

Jun 25, 2009
But Pouliot can single-handedly give away games and generally suck, yet he's still cool and fine, and continues to play, instead of putting his ass in the pressbox where he deserves to be. TMc-ness. God he loves his vets WAY too damn much.

Glad to see McDavid get 2 points, and Klefbom was a +2. And 2 points for the team. I'll take it.

Actually to be fair, Pouliot did get benched early in the season due to o zone penalties and he has been healthy scratched as well. He hasn't had a free pass.

Having said that, he needs to be pressboxed again.

I think if the Oilers could get rid of him they would. I don't believe he is a favourite of Mclellan's.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Pouliot has been worthless this season. But honestly, his penalty tonight seemed as much bad luck as anything else. He and Kassian collided and as he turned to get back into the play his stick caught the Bruins player skate.

Just came at the exact wrong moment of the game.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
Detroit beats L.A. and Minny beats San Jose. Huge for the gang.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Pouliot has been worthless this season. But honestly, his penalty tonight seemed as much bad luck as anything else. He and Kassian collided and as he turned to get back into the play his stick caught the Bruins player skate.

Just came at the exact wrong moment of the game.

The penalty was actually more Kassian's fault than his. If Kassian dumps that puck instead of trying to make an offensive play at the Boston blue line it never happens.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta

Well at least we're a young team so eventually all the young guys that are going to carry this team will be vets :laugh:

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
Actually to be fair, Pouliot did get benched early in the season due to o zone penalties and he has been healthy scratched as well. He hasn't had a free pass.

Having said that, he needs to be pressboxed again.

I think if the Oilers could get rid of him they would. I don't believe he is a favourite of Mclellan's.

Yeah, I was referring to his more recent play; him being relatively lazy, and just not engaged and competing hard enough for my liking. I'm not a big fan of Craig Button, now working for TSN, but I have to agree with him when he said the other day that he would not have Pouliot on his team, period. He's just not enough of a competitor. If he was producing like he was a couple years ago, when he had 19 goals in like 58 games, then I would be more forgiving, and I could overlook the occasional lazy shift, or whatever. Even last year, he produced decently, with 36 points in 55 games. That's about average 2nd line production, which he needs to be doing to have value to make up for his weaknesses. But he's not even producing at a 3rd line level, never mind a 2nd line level. He's on pace for only 15 points over 77 games. That's no where near good enough. Not even close. He should be ashamed of his play so far this season, if he has any pride at all.

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
New Jersey coming off a game the night before on Saturday. Ottawa coming off a game the night before on Sunday. Perfect opportunity to pick up 4 points.

This team really needs a streak.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Yeah, I was referring to his more recent play; him being relatively lazy, and just not engaged and competing hard enough for my liking. I'm not a big fan of Craig Button, now working for TSN, but I have to agree with him when he said the other day that he would not have Pouliot on his team, period. He's just not enough of a competitor. If he was producing like he was a couple years ago, when he had 19 goals in like 58 games, then I would be more forgiving, and I could overlook the occasional lazy shift, or whatever. Even last year, he produced decently, with 36 points in 55 games. That's about average 2nd line production, which he needs to be doing to have value to make up for his weaknesses. But he's not even producing at a 3rd line level, never mind a 2nd line level. He's on pace for only 15 points over 77 games. That's no where near good enough. Not even close. He should be ashamed of his play so far this season, if he has any pride at all.

Craig Buttons a moron who also said Maroon doesn't compete hard enough, but this season I absolutely agree. Pouliot has a stretch of about 4 games where he was giving an honest effort, but other than that has been completely atrocious. He's been completely ineffective and unengaged on both the forecheck and in board battles, and is just nothing like the player we got the last 2 seasons. The last 2 seasons he was essentially giving you top 2nd line or low 1st line production. This year he's just been a mess. Just when I thought we were about to get out of a bunch of anchor contracts coming up with Ference and Fayne, we suddenly have another.

sportsdynasty

Mar 31, 2011
www.nhltraderumors.me
i think the oilers are desperately trying to trade him but are having no luck. At some point, he is going to be sent to the ahl and I hope it is a wake up call.

He has skill and size. If he gets a bit of heart, he is a decent nhl player. Until he gets is beat into him, it doesn't look like he is going to change. May as well waive him and see if that lights a fire

Pouliot makes $4M AAV until the 2018-19 season. Going to be almost impossible to trade that horrible contract.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Horrible effort tonight. Oilers haven't looked good for a couple games now, luckily were still picking up points. But this luck will run out soon and they NEED to learn how to get that puck up the ice. Neutral zone traps, opposing D stepping into our puck receivers in the neutral zone, and our slow to react blueline that can't seem to find a good pass are killing us.

Glad Nuge got a goal, but he needs to step up and so does Eberle. If they played to their normal production, the playoffs would be a lock.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I dunno... I call it a good win when you win in a building you haven't won in for literally an entire generation.

Game wasn't perfect... officiating was again crap.

They get the win... Talbot/Maroon were clearly the best 2 players.... which is no problem because you need some players to stand out and excel each game if you want a chance to win (especially on the road).

I thought Benning had a good game as well... an assist by throwing the puck towards the net and seeing what can happen... sure enough leads to a goal. Also had 3 shots, 3 hits and a block... and annoyed a Bruin by dumping him into the crossbar with some physical play. Solid all around game from him and he looks good in this d group.

Speaking of the road... the Oilers have 27 pts in 22 road games now. Can't ask for much better than that and that's a MASSIVE improvement over previous years. They can actually stick with teams on the road now and aren't free spots on the bingo card for teams anymore.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad