Rumor: Oilers ‘full court press’ to find forward help

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
I don’t understand why all of this has to be publicly declared.

Aren’t we only a couple months removed from Chiarelli’s promise to be “bold” with trades?

... which delivered underwhelming trades for Petrovic and Manning?

Chia exacerbates his failures by tipping his hand prior to the transaction.

Reactions: MC2D

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
So by a "goalie", he means Talbot, who's going to have minimal value right now because of his bad season and a pending UFA. And by "young developing forward", he means Yamamoto and Puljujarvi, both of which have struggled in the NHL so far. I can definitely see teams jumping at those guys and offering legitimate forward help for them :sarcasm:

But for real, that's just the problem with where the Oilers are at: they have borderline no tradeable assets worth anything.

Yamamoto and Puljujarvi are both only 20 and they’re cheap as heck. They have value despite us rushing them. Our first inexplicably is in play and considering it will almost assuredly be a lottery pick it has value.

Talbot’s very good when he gets hot. He could be a solid 1B insurance policy for a playoff team.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
So by a "goalie", he means Talbot, who's going to have minimal value right now because of his bad season and a pending UFA. And by "young developing forward", he means Yamamoto and Puljujarvi, both of which have struggled in the NHL so far. I can definitely see teams jumping at those guys and offering legitimate forward help for them :sarcasm:

But for real, that's just the problem with where the Oilers are at: they have borderline no tradeable assets worth anything.

They traded all their assets already and managed to get worse. All they have left is their 1st and Puljujarvi/Yamamoto.

This will be the trade that puts them rock bottom.

member 157595

OZhSm2l.gif

:laugh:

The MacT version is still the best though.

TkachukNorris79

Jan 27, 2018
Ottawa seems like such a good trade partner..... Hopefully Stone isn't available, but Dzingel could be a veryyyyy good speed winger for McJesus. He has more than replaced Hoffman's production from the past couple years. And probably fairly inexpensive too.

I could maybe see some sort of Anderson/Talbot swap as well. Not sure how that would work with Andy having an extra year and Talbot being a UFA.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN

And no cap space!

Reactions: Empoleon8771

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Okay, let's be real, I think everyone knows how this scenario is going to play out:

1. The Oilers are going to be active in the trade market for rental forwards, with targeting guys like Silfverberg, Ferland and maybe even Eberle. They'll trade draft picks and prospects for those guys, which will gut their future.
2. The Oilers will either not re-sign whatever rental(s) they acquire or will overpay them to keep them around. Ferland becomes Lucic or Clarkson 2.0 when Chiarelli gives him a 5 year, $5 million deal. Silfverberg becomes Eriksson 2.0 when he re-signs for $5.5 million a year on a long term deal. You get the picture. Either those guys leave, which results in the Oilers just pissing away assets, or the Oilers overpay to retain those guys.
3. When those terrible UFA contracts fail like a majority of UFA contracts (it at least seems like a ton of them fail), they'll be stuck with the new versions of Lucic or Eriksson, and they won't have any young talent coming from the minors because of the picks and prospects given up to acquire them as rentals. So they're just in a circle, back to where they started.

To make your team good, you have to complement good drafting with good trades and good free agent signings. You can't build your team through trades or free agency. Until the Oilers fix their drafting and developing, they aren't going to improve as a team. They'd be better off blowing it up (again) and rebuilding.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad