OHL Franchise Niagara Ice Dogs punished severely for Hazing

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
The team needs to be sent a message sure. Then boot the two players as they’ve done. $100,000 fine isn’t much as has been pointed out. Lower the boom on the owner. Five times that fine minimum would be significant and would send a message league wide.

Forfeiting the 1st rounder is a penalty the fans don’t deserve.
When you look at the punishment it basically comes down to a fine and one 1st round pick of which they had 2 in this years draft. If the league did take bullying seriously they would have done as you suggest Even. The owner was the GM I believe. Not that big of a deal to have someone step into that position. The elephant in the room has been ignored. After the first ownership group exited the premises players coming into the league via the draft just want to avoid the Ice Dogs. If the franchise is to continue something drastic has to change. Fans deserve better IMO.

HF92

Oct 14, 2017
SSM
www.facebook.com
Am I right in saying the owner was primarily punished for not following the leagues request to stay silent while the investigation was on going? If this is true (and maybe if it isn't), I find it almost impossible to beleive that no officials/employees of the team knew what was going on. How are only the two players on the carpet???

People knew. Players knew. Parents knew.

This isn't over yet either. More to come anyways.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Have you ever worked with someone and wonder how they got hired? Unless the owner has had incidents in the past then it's easy for someone to slip through. I asked the question about pre-Ice Dogs incidents in the Niagara forum and as of yet there has been no response
Otto I have and agree. One CEO said when people come in for interviews you always see them at their best. I have no clue of the process used when a franchise is being purchased.
We really haven't heard what the offending players allegedly did that got them banned either.

Reactions: HF92

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I think the implication is that the owner/GM discussed the investigation with individuals who were part of the investigation.

That’s my take as well. I’d even take it a step further and suggest there is the possibility that DD tried to craft responses or messages coming from those being interviewed. In these types of situations, DD would likely be the first person questioned/advised. Then he’d be informed the investigators will be interviewing multiple other people and he is to remain silent and not speak to anyone.

The two year suspension suggests the possibility he went to all team members and tried to conduct his own investigation in an effort to get ahead of the investigators. He may have even tried to get them to soften their answers. I’m just speculating but a 2 year suspension is pretty big and it suggests he’s done something pretty big to warrant it.

BadgerBruce

Aug 8, 2013
That’s my take as well. I’d even take it a step further and suggest there is the possibility that DD tried to craft responses or messages coming from those being interviewed. In these types of situations, DD would likely be the first person questioned/advised. Then he’d be informed the investigators will be interviewing multiple other people and he is to remain silent and not speak to anyone.

The two year suspension suggests the possibility he went to all team members and tried to conduct his own investigation in an effort to get ahead of the investigators. He may have even tried to get them to soften their answers. I’m just speculating but a 2 year suspension is pretty big and it suggests he’s done something pretty big to warrant it.
I think it’s possible to (in a sense) feel sorry for someone, even when most of their troubles originate in the mirror.

DD has no experienced OHL help. Virtually everyone in the hockey ops department comes from his Brantford junior A and junior B teams. Many of them continue to pull double or even triple duty with all three of his clubs. But the junior B/A landscapes are totally different. DD has no no steady veteran OHL hand nearby. I’m not actually shitting on the people he has on staff — most are probably “good hockey guys.” But DD needs “good OHL hockey guys,” people with the experience and balls to tell him that a trade per week is a bad idea and interfering in a bloody maltreatment investigation is an invitation to get tossed out on your ear. Just imagine if the Heritage Committee hearings were still going on … my Lord.

My wallet’s not as fat as his, but if I owned a team you can bet I’d have one helluva great OHL leader lined up before the sale agreement ink even dried. Experience matters in major junior hockey. Even the Burkes had to good sense to hire Marty Williamson and let their boys apprentice under him for a decade. DD has absolutely nobody with that level of experience, and it’s likely fair to say that he has nobody to blame but himself.

Reactions: Roadhog

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I think it’s possible to (in a sense) feel sorry for someone, even when most of their troubles originate in the mirror.

DD has no experienced OHL help. Virtually everyone in the hockey ops department comes from his Brantford junior A and junior B teams. Many of them continue to pull double or even triple duty with all three of his clubs. But the junior B/A landscapes are totally different. DD has no no steady veteran OHL hand nearby. I’m not actually shitting on the people he has on staff — most are probably “good hockey guys.” But DD needs “good OHL hockey guys,” people with the experience and balls to tell him that a trade per week is a bad idea and interfering in a bloody maltreatment investigation is an invitation to get tossed out on your ear. Just imagine if the Heritage Committee hearings were still going on … my Lord.

My wallet’s not as fat as his, but if I owned a team you can bet I’d have one helluva great OHL leader lined up before the sale agreement ink even dried. Experience matters in major junior hockey. Even the Burkes had to good sense to hire Marty Williamson and let their boys apprentice under him for a decade. DD has absolutely nobody with that level of experience, and it’s likely fair to say that he has nobody to blame but himself.

There is absolutely no doubt that if I were to own the Ice Dogs, a team with strong fan support and the requisite revenue to afford a strong leader, I’d be doing the exact same. I’d find the best possible person to run the Franchise. You don’t drop $20mil into the franchise and then run it like a chip truck.

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
There is absolutely no doubt that if I were to own the Ice Dogs, a team with strong fan support and the requisite revenue to afford a strong leader, I’d be doing the exact same. I’d find the best possible person to run the Franchise. You don’t drop $20mil into the franchise and then run it like a chip truck.
This is not the first time an owner of this franchise tried to be the general manager of the team. In the first few seasons of it’s existence Don Cherry was the general manager and the team had little success.

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005
Forfeiting a draft pick seems like a pretty small punishment. I can't imagine they'll have many players willing to report there going forward under the current ownership.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Forfeiting a draft pick seems like a pretty small punishment. I can't imagine they'll have many players willing to report there going forward under the current ownership.
Yep, with the BCHL going independent, I'd imagine any kid with options that gets drafted by Niagara will be looking either there or south to the USHL ASAP at this point. Basically say "trade me, or I'll play in a different league"

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
A few thoughts on the statements (DeDobbaeler’s and Consorti’s).

First, there’s no chance in Hell that DeDobbaeler or his lawyers get their hands on the report by the third-party independent investigators. The report draws upon interviews with 15 former players, coaches, staff and team officials over a period of several months. Not a chance in H-E- Double Hockey Sticks he gets to see those names. Nobody would ever cooperate with a league investigation again if that happens.

Second, there’s no denial by the IceDogs that A) there were violations of the Maltreatment, Bullying and Harassment Protection and Prevention Policy and the Code of Conduct, B) players Joshua Rosenzweig and Landon Cato participated in serious violations of the Player Maltreatment Policy and have violated the OHL Code of Conduct including but not limited to Physical Maltreatment and Aiding and Abetting respectively, and C) Darren DeDobbelaer violated the confidentiality directive of the League. None of the club’s official statements say, “violations did not occur, Rosenzweig and Cato are innocent, DeDobbelaer didn’t blab.”

Third, despite issuing no denials, DeDobbelaer does not provide his version of the truth. His release states, “I look forward to filing my appeal and defending my position,” but he does not state what his position actually is or what, specifically, he plans to appeal. The findings? The sanctions?

Now, Consorti’s statement has the league’s fingerprints all over it.

The most obvious way is this: DeDobbelaer’s statement ends with “I would ask you to direct all comments and inquiries to my legal counsel at Lucentem Sports and Entertainment Law.” Consorti’s statement ends with “We kindly ask that you direct any questions or inquiries regarding this matter to the league office’s attention.” Guess who demanded the second version. Hint: it wasn’t DeDobbelaer.

Also, Consorti’s statement contains this paragraph:

“The Niagara IceDogs want to make it very clear that The league and The Club put tremendous emphasis on our players well being and safety. The League and The Club are here to ensure the best experience for our players on and off the ice.”

The only time you will see the article “The” capitalized (“The League and The Club”) is in official league documents and contracts (Standard Player Agreements, Constitution, etc.). This is a cut and paste paragraph composed by the league office and published under Consorti’s name. Similarly, while DeDobbelaer’s statement says, “I take these allegations very seriously,” Consorti’s says, “We are taking these findings very seriously.” Notice how “allegations” is changed to “findings”? How DeDobbelaer uses the active voice (“I take”) and Consorti uses the passive voice (“We are taking”)? Guess who wrote the second version?

Dave Branch does not appreciate seeing his authority even remotely questioned in print. The league’s constitution provides him with nearly unfettered power to make independent decisions in the best interests of the league, and God help the brash type A personality who deigns to test that authority. The second statement the IceDogs published was unquestionably demanded by the league and “The Club” — through the assistant GM — complied.
I take it to also mean the league is not recognizing DD and is now recognizing Consorti as the de facto manager ?

Reactions: HF92

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015

Sometimes, people with a load of $$ have clouded brains .

Reactions: OMG67

BadgerBruce

Aug 8, 2013
Yep, with the BCHL going independent, I'd imagine any kid with options that gets drafted by Niagara will be looking either there or south to the USHL ASAP at this point. Basically say "trade me, or I'll play in a different league"
Speaking of different leagues …

Hockey Canada, the OHF, OHA, CJHL, OJHL and the GOJHL are likely already under intense pressure to either honour the OHL’s sanctions or impose their own on DD, who is the owner/general manager of junior A and junior B teams in Brantford. If he is allowed to continue serving as GM for those teams, expect provincial and/or federal government intervention. The guy interfered in a maltreatment investigation — unless there is clear evidence that the independent third party investigation’s findings are factually incorrect, DD is going to be persona non grata in the amateur hockey world for at least two years.

donjohnson

Jan 29, 2013
Late to the party here but I'm glad the OHL and other leagues are cracking down on hazing...it has no place in sports or life. I was hazed many moons ago on the HS Golf Team (of all sports) and it was extremely traumatic and I can remember like it was yesterday. The following year, there were a couple a-hole sophomores that wanted to "get the next group of freshman" and after that it died out. If you're truly a team, you should be trying to support the rookies/freshmen so that they can help your team, not be afraid of what you might do to them. Even the "rookies buy team dinner" is hazing because what if that rookie needs every dollar because their family is extremely poor...that's a stress a player just doesn't need. Some people may think it's "soft" to feel this way but to me, that old-school rookies have to have it as crappy as we had it just isn't the right attitude.

Now don't get me wrong, I don't think rookies should step into the room and be given the same respect at the older players. They need to earn that respect with hard work and being a respectful teammate but they shouldn't be dogged all the time just for being a first-year player.

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London
If the franchise is to continue something drastic has to change. Fans deserve better IMO.
So true ....... the "hits" just keep on coming for what really should be one of the true "super teams" in the OHL. Beautiful facility, loyal and passionate fan base but so far ownership that in most other centers would have buried this franchise by now. Remember fondly the 2016 (?) OHL Final Icedogs vs Knights. The Niagara fans took hating the Evil Empire to a whole new level!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad