Speculation: Offseason Thread #7. We will hit thread #8 before Friday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Oilers need to make changes, they just seem hell bent on always making the wrong ones.

Say hello to your new Ryan Smyth Oilers.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
I have a question

ARTICLE 12 12.1-12.3
(d) Notwithstanding Section (a) or (b) above, a Club may exercise its right to elect
salary arbitration not more than twice per League Year. If a Club elects salary arbitration more than twice per League Year, any subsequent election after its second election will be null and void.

Does that mean the Rangers can only take two arbitration eligible RFAs to arbitration per year? I ask because they currently have at least 3 players(Kreider, Hayes, Miller) they may want to take, maybe 4 if McIlrath, especially if none of them elect to take the team to arbitration.

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
If that's the case, Edmonton is going to trade one of their wingers.

It would be hilarious if they trade Taylor Hall to bring in Lucic.

While im not high on Lucic, they have some depth at wing and Hall would return that top pairing D man they need.

This part isnt directed at you, but i find it funny that the HF community has been calling on EDM to trade for a high end D man for years, and when there is a chance they might everyone gives them ****...

lJuicel

Feb 1, 2010
St. John's
While im not high on Lucic, they have some depth at wing and Hall would return that top pairing D man they need.

This part isnt directed at you, but i find it funny that the HF community has been calling on EDM to trade for a high end D man for years, and when there is a chance they might everyone gives them ****...

Was thinking the same, say they get Lucic on the 1st and flip Hall for Hamonic++, wouldn't that make them better off ? Or if Hall is the main piece going to Mtl for Subban.

I dunno, just seems like we are all on the "When does Edm trade a forward for a D" train for ages.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.

This is also an organization that had great success with an enforcer that could play riding shotgun for the best player in the league. Different era, sure, but I can see the appeal. The Oilers have enough talent at forward to make moving him a reasonable idea.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
I have a question

Does that mean the Rangers can only take two arbitration eligible RFAs to arbitration per year? I ask because they currently have at least 3 players(Kreider, Hayes, Miller) they may want to take, maybe 4 if McIlrath, especially if none of them elect to take the team to arbitration.

No. Arbitration can be elected by the player or by the team. Most of the time it is player-elected.

The Rangers can't elect arbitration on all 4 of them, but all of them can elect arbitration themselves.

The key difference is that, whichever side elects arbitration, the other side determines the term. For example, if Hayes elects arbitration, the Rangers have to decide, before the arbitration hearing, whether they want the results of the arbitration to be for 1 year or 2.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
No. Arbitration can be elected by the player or by the team. Most of the time it is player-elected.

The Rangers can't elect arbitration on all 4 of them, but all of them can elect arbitration themselves.

The key difference is that, whichever side elects arbitration, the other side determines the term. For example, if Hayes elects arbitration, the Rangers have to decide, before the arbitration hearing, whether they want the results of the arbitration to be for 1 year or 2.

I get that but if none of them elect arbitration, the Rangers can only elect to take two of the 4 of them.

So say none of them elect, out of Miller, Hayes, Kreider who do the Rangers not elect to take, which leaves them open to offer sheets, or more likely to them to possibly holding out if they can not mutually agree to something outside of arbitration?

NYRKING30

Apr 29, 2011
NYC
What does moving a center do to help the problem that is their wingers?

Umm Draisatl and McDavid? Plus if rumors are true about Lucic then thats another winger. You don't think they would like Hall to play with one of McDavid or Dreisatl? He would trade either one, depends what the better offer is and how high of a top Dman they want to trade for. It can go either way but I'd still think they would prefer to trade RNH first.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
I get that but if none of them elect arbitration, the Rangers can only elect to take two of the 4 of them.

So say none of them elect, out of Miller, Hayes, Kreider who do the Rangers not elect to take, which leaves them open to offer sheets, or more likely to them to possibly holding out if they can not mutually agree to something outside of arbitration?

I seriously doubt anyone will offer sheet any of them. Holding out isn't really a concern either. Arbitration eligible players usually elect arbitration. Hagelin didn't when we last signed him and the contract got done without issue.

The only players in recent years who have "held out" and missed training camp time are Dubinsky and Stepan, and they both were non-arbitration RFAs.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com

The Wings will have the money if Stamkos doesn't sign there. Stamkos played his junior hockey in Sarnia which is a one hour drive to Detroit. Brouwer is a guy the Wings scouted during the playoffs.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
My gut says that Stamkos ends up in Buffalo in light of recent developments. Fast tracks their rebuild. Buffalo has a need for an experienced defenseman. Would Staal interest them?

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
I seriously doubt anyone will offer sheet any of them. Holding out isn't really a concern either. Arbitration eligible players usually elect arbitration. Hagelin didn't when we last signed him and the contract got done without issue.

The only players in recent years who have "held out" and missed training camp time are Dubinsky and Stepan, and they both were non-arbitration RFAs.

You are probably correct, it just seem like it's sort of could open up some issues if more than two of them feel unhappy about the possibility of them being squeezed.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
My gut says that Stamkos ends up in Buffalo in light of recent developments. Fast tracks their rebuild. Buffalo has a need for an experienced defenseman. Would Staal interest them?

Staal for Moulson maybe.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Yes to Martin, the Rangers character metrics are bound to win them a championship sooner or later. Just need to get rid of the more talented jerkish guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad