Speculation: Offseason Thread #16: Kevin Hayes: A True Friend (mod post #547)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
Winds of change

Started off super angry about the offseason, specifically the draft. Annoyed that the club couldn't get back into the first round. Angry that the season prior they failed to land 1st for Hagelin, Talbot etc. Furious that I didn't think the club was changing direction.

Zib/Brassard swap changed that as it signified the Rangers were looking to make moves to rebuild or whatever. Got younger, and actually added a 2nd round pick. Impressive.

Pumped at the Vesey signing as it makes up for loss of years and years of 1st rounders. Whether Vesey plays a top 9 role or not, whether he impacts the club or not, I feel that this reinforces the clubs decision to infuse youth. Also was very impressed that the organization was able to even land the player and win the Battle.

I think the club needed a win from a business perspective, and so far they just won a significant battle.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Looking at these contracts, Sather must have been high when he agreed to (or wrote) the Girardi/Staal contracts. Just unreal.

If I remember correctly the general consensus at the time was that both deals were solid.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think the Lightning are the best team in the East. They are good in goal, defense, offense, a lot of depth everywhere, and they now are experienced at playing deep into the playoffs.

I think every other team is flawed. Washington struggles for defensive depth. Their left side of their defense is awful. Their defensive situation isn't better than ours. Isles have the second or third best defense of the East contending pack, but the worst or second worst goalie situation and the worst or second worst offense. Pittsburgh's defensive system covered a very poor defensive group. If it doesn't do that again this season, they could have the worst defense of the contending teams. I also don't know how good their depth forwards who really helped out Crosby and Malkin last season will be this season. Florida's goalie situation is the worst or second worst of the contending teams and they also don't have much offensive depth, but they might have the best defense in the east. We have probably the best forward depth of the contending teams in the east and the best goalie, but our defense is one of the worst defenses of the contending teams in the east.

I figure a few of these teams are going to join the Lightning by fixing their big problem positions at some point with trades or having players emerge that fix that problem position. It could also be fixing the system, like Pittsburgh did. It could really be any of those teams. If we trade for a RH PMD and that player plays well this season, we could be one of the top teams in the east, and a contender for the Cup. A change of defensive system might also be able to make us a contender.

wafflepadsave

May 28, 2011
Franklin, Tn
To me, it's not that AV is dumb. He's just stubborn and blind to the point of it being detrimental. Similar to how Torts is very set in his own ways (caveman hockey, star players blocking slapshots, etc.), AV is inflexible in his devotion to man on man defense. Doesn't matter if the actual personnel can pull that off, that's what he wants. Staal can still be a top 4 dman, it's just that this defensive scheme maximizes his weaknesses and doesn't make the most of his strengths. Girardi at this point doesn't have many strengths, but he sure isn't built for man on man d or a fast-paced offense system based on dmen jumpstarting the play.

And for AV's blind spots, well, his love affair for veterans and certain players he loves doesn't help either. Especially if this team's goal is to get younger and develop players coming into their own.

Overall, I just don't think AV is the right coach for this team anymore. He lacks the agility and mindset for both what this team has currently and what they're trying trying to do in the near term. On the other end of the spectrum are coaches like TB's Cooper. Even if he has a punchable face too, Cooper has shown a marked ability to adapt to the situation (like changing tactics against the Kings during the Cup finals). Meanwhile, AV doubles down on what doesn't work because his way must be right and it just needs even more of it to succeed.

That's ok. Let av be stubborn and he can hit the road by January which might be the long term solution.

wafflepadsave

May 28, 2011
Franklin, Tn
Started off super angry about the offseason, specifically the draft. Annoyed that the club couldn't get back into the first round. Angry that the season prior they failed to land 1st for Hagelin, Talbot etc. Furious that I didn't think the club was changing direction.

Zib/Brassard swap changed that as it signified the Rangers were looking to make moves to rebuild or whatever. Got younger, and actually added a 2nd round pick. Impressive.

Pumped at the Vesey signing as it makes up for loss of years and years of 1st rounders. Whether Vesey plays a top 9 role or not, whether he impacts the club or not, I feel that this reinforces the clubs decision to infuse youth. Also was very impressed that the organization was able to even land the player and win the Battle.

I think the club needed a win from a business perspective, and so far they just won a significant battle.

Yeah, that's exactly where I'm at. I'm a bit excited to see what the next trade brings!

member 116805

If I remember correctly the general consensus at the time was that both deals were solid.

Correct. I went through those threads this summer just for fun, everyone was super happy.
Even the main board was agreeing :laugh:

Lundy HOF

May 23, 2016
I voted pretty good; I think if Gorton manages to swing a fair value deal for a RHD with some puck moving skills this offseason is a true win.

Millsy and Nash have to be on the block. I suspect that considering contracts and perceived value, Millsy will be the one to go.

The question is who is available?
Shatty
Montour
Honka
Trouba (I can't see this one happening since they don't really need wingers)

Maybe we stay pat although I hope we don't; either way this team is in a much better spot than it was 2 months ago. This offseason instilled faith in Gorton&Co imo. If we don't make a move for a RH PMD - I hope Alain is smart enough to revamp the system to account for the Ds lack of footspeed. Some type of zone scheme can go along way for this team - we should be top10 in goals again.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Nobody was against those contracts when they were signed. No one ESPECIALLY the Staal contract.

I actually expect both guys to bounce back. Came into last season still hurt from the previous runs. Girardi played hurt all year which was just stupidity by AV should have rested him until he was 100%.

Both those guys EARNED those contracts and the vast majority here were happy for them.

Having said that without a top righty D man that can play the powerplay we've got a major hole on the backend so I'm between Meh and Pretty Good.

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
Yes, until Hayes becomes Erik Christensen on and off the ice, he has got a lot of maturing to do.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Hayes has a lot of maturing to do. For sure

:facepalm:

That's all I have to say.

He should be applauded for having a personality and not acting like a robot like 90% of the players do. And he is doing NOTHING wrong. He isn't going out to bars and getting arrested for getting into fights, sexually assaulting people, staying out past curfews, or anything else that can get him in trouble.

He is a young man who is enjoying his life and posting some goofy things on his twitter....so he needs to grow up?

old.jpg

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Kind of love how underrated Hayes has become here. Dude is going to have a monster season and everyone will be back on the Hayes train.

Agreed.

Only on the Rangers board do people write off a 2 year player who already scored 81 points.

I feel bad for incoming class of rookies...

wafflepadsave

May 28, 2011
Franklin, Tn
:facepalm:

That's all I have to say.

He should be applauded for having a personality and not acting like a robot like 90% of the players do. And he is doing NOTHING wrong. He isn't going out to bars and getting arrested for getting into fights, sexually assaulting people, staying out past curfews, or anything else that can get him in trouble.

He is a young man who is enjoying his life and posting some goofy things on his twitter....so he needs to grow up?

old.jpg

Just hope he is training hard this summer. There is plenty of competition!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad