Speculation: Offseason Thread #16: Kevin Hayes: A True Friend (mod post #547)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
I guess we'll be seeing another move soon.

I bet it'll be before training camp starts. I can't imagine they want to do a trade halfway through camp. They'll want everyone to be starting and end on the same page. From day one.

Doesn't make sense otherwise.

Will also give a slightly longer time to get used to the team. I would think AV/Arniel/Beuk might be changing some things up, considering how much the roster has changed.

Well, the Rangers could just fill camp with plenty of bodies to get a real sense of who is ready for the NHL and who isn't. I'd like to think that the addition of Pirri means they're planning on moving out a body for an upgrade on defense, but it could just be insurance should one of (or both) Buchnevich or Vesey need a little bit of a stint in the AHL to start.

Kreider - Step - Miller
Nash - Zib - Zucc
Pirri - Hayes - Grabner/Fast
Gerbe - Jooris - Fast/Grabner
Glass

If either guy shows they're ready, they can put Gerbe on waivers to try and get him to Hartford, or they could deal Fast. If they're both looking good, then maybe you see a guy like Nash or Zucc get moved.

Still, it could just be as simple as there's a Nash deal lined up, or, less likely IMO, a deal for Zuccarello or Miller.

Rangers in 7

Dec 17, 2015
Long Island
Well, the Rangers could just fill camp with plenty of bodies to get a real sense of who is ready for the NHL and who isn't. I'd like to think that the addition of Pirri means they're planning on moving out a body for an upgrade on defense, but it could just be insurance should one of (or both) Buchnevich or Vesey need a little bit of a stint in the AHL to start.

Kreider - Step - Miller
Nash - Zib - Zucc
Glass

If either guy shows they're ready, they can put Gerbe on waivers to try and get him to Hartford, or they could deal Fast. If they're both looking good, then maybe you see a guy like Nash or Zucc get moved.

Still, it could just be as simple as there's a Nash deal lined up, or, less likely IMO, a deal for Zuccarello or Miller.

I don't mean to pick on you but buch has said multiple times that he will NOT go down to the AHL. It's just not going to happen

Rangers in 7

Dec 17, 2015
Long Island
ANA needs 3 NHL forward bodies.

They have 9 defensemen that can play in the NHL. Two younger ones in the AHL may be the best out of all of them.

Bieksa still serviceable. Stoner is their albatross.

Depres is on a really good value contract. Modern Marc Staal. Better puck handler in that role. Just doesn't have a track record of shutting down an Ovechkin.

Manson is a good one, nasty physical. He's a McIlrath type for them.

Holzer is a good depth option. Well schooled. Roman Polak type of player.

Lindholm.

Vatenen.

Fowler.

Theodore.

Montour.

10 NHL forwards at the moment, contenders that would be banking on Nick Ritchie and Stefan Noesen to be impact players.

Trade them Nash, Fast, and hell even Lindberg. A good NHL line even. Slots everyone in their right place.

Get some of that defesemen in return.

I'll take a Depres-Bieksa pair even if it meant a prime piece was coming back.

Vatenen is who is like but any of the 5 young guys you listed would be excellent

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009

Kreider - Step - Miller
Nash - Zib - Zucc
Glass

i think its a pretty fair assumption that vesey and buch were promised spots in order to convince them to sign...its possible they might lose those spots if they struggle. but day 1 i think they are penciled in the lineup imo

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
No team promises one a spot, so neither Vesey nor Butcher got the promise of top-9, merely a chance to fight for it.

Pirri is here to give them veteran competition. I doubt AV wants Hayes flaned by 2 rookies with no NA/pro experience.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009

They have 9 defensemen that can play in the NHL. Two younger ones in the AHL may be the best out of all of them.

Depres is on a really good value contract. Modern Marc Staal. Better puck handler in that role. Just doesn't have a track record of shutting down an Ovechkin.

Lindholm.

Vatenen.

Fowler.

Theodore.

Montour.

10 NHL forwards at the moment, contenders that would be banking on Nick Ritchie and Stefan Noesen to be impact players.

Trade them Nash, Fast, and hell even Lindberg. A good NHL line even. Slots everyone in their right place.

vatenen and lindholm are probably untouchables...small chance you might be able to pry away manson or theodore but the price will be high

apoptygma

2-5-9-11
Apr 9, 2011

Lindholm.

Vatenen.

Fowler.

Theodore.

Montour.

What about Fast, Holden & Nash at 50% for Montour, Manson & Stoner?

It will be 6,5mil going to NYR, and 5 mil going to ANA.

Mcdonough - Manson

Staal - Montour

Skjei - McIlrath

Stoner - Girardi

Selling Klein for picks & prospects.

Stoner has 2 year 3,25mil left. If ANA do not want Holden back we are able
to sell Staal for pennies on the dollar just to do a fast reamp of the defence.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
No team promises one a spot, so neither Vesey nor Butcher got the promise of top-9, merely a chance to fight for it.

Pirri is here to give them veteran competition. I doubt AV wants Hayes flaned by 2 rookies with no NA/pro experience.

Looking at it from the centers as a starting point:

-AV will use Stepan against the top opposition. Its very likely that Kreider will flank him. I think many players that we have now could be a good fit with Kreider-Stepan, BUT, I am far from sold that AV would want them playing against the best of the East (Buch for example).

Likely options for Kreider-Stepan: Nash, Zucc and Fast. It might not be the first option, but I would bet on Fast taking this spot.

-Zinbanejad will most likely replace Brassard. I am saying most likely because I am not entirely sure that AV will buy into the concept of him being a center. Ottawa were desperate for top line centers after moving Spezza. Long before we got Z I was dumbfounded by them using him at center. He is not very good defensively, he is not very good on FOs, he is not great at skating the puck up ice, doesn't have that natural center smarts and poise. Like I know of junior coaches in Sweden that has refrained from using Z at center because they didn't think he held up defensively. But anyway, FO got him as a center no doubt so lets assume that he will play there.

You will want good support for Zinbanejad on the ice. I think the options are many, but if Fast lines up with Kreider and Step, I would put Zinbanejad between Nash and Zucc.

-Hayes, look, we all have followed this team for a long time. We didn't sign Vesey not to play him in the top 9. He will play there, people can spit out cliches about promised spots left and right, Vesey will play. Miller is a lock in the top 9. If Fast takes a spot in the top 9, Buch/Grabner/Lindberg/Pirri/Gerbe and co. will not.

-Lindberg/Jooris/Pirri- Is Pirri the replacement for Zinbanejad at center if AV don't buy into him playing there? Lindberg? To early to speculate on that.

Just my preference for our 4th line: Grabner-Lindberg-Gerbe

Think Buch starts in the AHL and makes it in the NHL during the year. But I wouldn't rule out that he plays on this line too.

Kreider-Step-Fast //To be used against the top lines.
Nash-Zinbanejad-Zucc //Our new scoring line.
Vesey-Hayes-Miller //Will get the "easier" match-ups.
Grabner-Lindberg-Gerbe //I think we want speed on the depth line this year. Speed and PKing ability. These guys are good at that.
Jooris
McD-Klein
Staal-McIlrath
Skjei-Girardi

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland

-AV will use Stepan against the top opposition. Its very likely that Kreider will flank him. I think many players that we have now could be a good fit with Kreider-Stepan, BUT, I am far from sold that AV would want them playing against the best of the East (Buch for example).

Likely options for Kreider-Stepan: Nash, Zucc and Fast. It might not be the first option, but I would bet on Fast taking this spot.

-Zinbanejad will most likely replace Brassard. I am saying most likely because I am not entirely sure that AV will buy into the concept of him being a center. Ottawa were desperate for top line centers after moving Spezza. Long before we got Z I was dumbfounded by them using him at center. He is not very good defensively, he is not very good on FOs, he is not great at skating the puck up ice, doesn't have that natural center smarts and poise. Like I know of junior coaches in Sweden that has refrained from using Z at center because they didn't think he held up defensively. But anyway, FO got him as a center no doubt so lets assume that he will play there.

You will want good support for Zinbanejad on the ice. I think the options are many, but if Fast lines up with Kreider and Step, I would put Zinbanejad between Nash and Zucc.

-Hayes, look, we all have followed this team for a long time. We didn't sign Vesey not to play him in the top 9. He will play there, people can spit out cliches about promised spots left and right, Vesey will play. Miller is a lock in the top 9. If Fast takes a spot in the top 9, Buch/Grabner/Lindberg/Pirri/Gerbe and co. will not.

-Lindberg/Jooris/Pirri- Is Pirri the replacement for Zinbanejad at center if AV don't buy into him playing there? Lindberg? To early to speculate on that.

Think Buch starts in the AHL and makes it in the NHL during the year. But I wouldn't rule out that he plays on this line too.

Grabner-Lindberg-Gerbe //I think we want speed on the depth line this year. Speed and PKing ability. These guys are good at that.
Jooris
McD-Klein
Staal-McIlrath
Skjei-Girardi

Pirri in the AHL?

hi

Sell sell sell
May 23, 2008
Kreider - Stepan - Nash
Vesey - Zibanejad - Zucc
Miller - Hayes - Buchnevich
Gerbe - Jooris - Grabner
Pirri, Fast

Plan the parade

McDonagh - Girardi
Staal - Klein
Holden - McIlrath
Skjei

Cancel the parade

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Pirri in the AHL?

I wouldn't mind seeing that, not his biggest fan but admittedly I don't have a great track of him. This kid was a healthy scratch for FLA last season...

From my point of view, Pirri -- is -- a kid that has put in a lot of work and climbed closer and closer. But from what I have seen of him lately he just haven't been there. But all of a sudden a kid like him gets hot and then he might get the job done, who knows.

Last edited:

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I think NYR are committed to getting Buch and Vesey roster spots.

More likely you see Gerbe or Glass waived than either of those two getting sent down.

Jooris is here to stay though. He is a VERY good bottom 6 player and is only 26.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Didn't we have Ducks fans coming over to "around the NHL" thread who were suggesting that it was Fowler who was possibly out? Why he doesn't make sense? Is it a case of our fan base here just not liking him?

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse

Jooris
McD-Klein
Staal-McIlrath
Skjei-Girardi

wow. ola, usually you are spot on but this time cant agree.

if we have jesper fast on our first line then its gonna be a long season bro. to even insinuate that you play fast on line 1 and you start buch to the ahl is crazy talk. jesper fast is a nice little player but he's got stone hands and he's pretty vanilla. he's best suited in a bottom 6 role on a good team- which i think we are. a good team. he is NOT line 1 or 2 material especially with vesey and buchnevich, heck even brandon pirri, around.

this isn't last season. our forwards 1-9 are better and we have choices for the 4th line.

any line with nash on it cannot be called a scoring line. just sayin.

mcilrath will not be on the 2nd pairing playing above brady skjei. not happening with av as the coach.

there will be movement still so alot of this isn't going to even happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad