Speculation: Offseason Thread #15: Thinking of a new title is Vesey difficult

Status
Not open for further replies.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
He definitely should be a target.

Dealing Nash is going to be tricky. His value isn't very high right now. I'm willing to bet that he will be worth more at the deadline, but does he become a rental because of the expansion draft? Would we be willing to trade him even if we are doing well? Next offseason, would anyone be willing to trade for him before the expansion draft? Probably not. Most likely, we won't be able to trade him until after the expansion draft, assuming LV doesn't take him. The only other option I see is to trade him now with money retained to hopefully get a better return.

I think Nash would be a great trade to Nashville, especially at the trade deadline if we're not looking great and Nashville is looking to contend. Their weakness is wingers, and Nash would be huge for them.

Use their need to our advantage and get Dougherty+ for Nash with salary retained.

But again...entirely depends on how he's doing and how the team is doing as a whole.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Still think we'll see another trade similar to the Brassard deal or moving one of the recently signed RFAs for another player of similar age.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
If that is your line in the sand, then trading for him would be foolish unless he agrees to extension beforehand. Either way though, I still don't see him being a Ranger.

That is my line in the sand.

I'd try to get an extension before the trade, but even if we didn't, would it really be such a bad trade? Nash has little value to begin with, and after this season, he only has one year left on his deal. Klein only has one year left on his deal after this season, as well. McIlrath might be picked in the expansion draft, but only if the Rangers play him enough games. If not, he's probably not all that good, to begin with. Hopefully we get an extension for Shattenkirk, but if not, I don't think losing Nash+Klein/McIlrath is all that bad.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
That is my line in the sand.

I'd try to get an extension before the trade, but even if we didn't, would it really be such a bad trade? Nash has little value to begin with, and after this season, he only has one year left on his deal. Klein only has one year left on his deal after this season, as well. McIlrath might be picked in the expansion draft, but only if the Rangers play him enough games. If not, he's probably not all that good, to begin with. Hopefully we get an extension for Shattenkirk, but if not, I don't think losing Nash+Klein/McIlrath is all that bad.

So you would be willing to give up both Nash and Klein for 1 year of Shattenkirk? Wow. I would have thought you would have learned something from the Yandle trade, but I guess not.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
So you would be willing to give up both Nash and Klein for 1 year of Shattenkirk? Wow. I would have thought you would have learned something from the Yandle trade, but I guess not.

The Yandle trade that landed us one win away from back-to-back appearances in the SCF, and should've given us a premiere offensive d-man for the next 8 seasons but didn't because the FO tied themselves to two d-men who made their fortunes on the backs of a HHoF goalie bailing them out?

I do that trade 100 times out of 100.

If you want to revise history, be mad about the Girardi contract. Not the Yandle trade.

Mr Clutch

Jan 21, 2014
Virginia
No idea why Winnipeg would want to trade trouba. I know they have rhd but troubas a guy u keep. If he really was available then thats a guy u gotta go for. Exactly what we need and young.Doubt we have anything that the jets want

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
The Yandle trade that landed us one win away from back-to-back appearances in the SCF, and should've given us a premiere offensive d-man for the next 8 seasons but didn't because the FO tied themselves to two d-men who made their fortunes on the backs of a HHoF goalie bailing them out?

I do that trade 100 times out of 100.

If you want to revise history, be mad about the Girardi contract. Not the Yandle trade.

Did you only read the last sentence of what I wrote? You admit that it was bad asset management to give up what we did for Yandle and then let him walk. It would be equally bad to give up good assets for Shattenkirk and then let him walk.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Did you only read the last sentence of what I wrote? You admit that it was bad asset management to give up what we did for Yandle and then let him walk. It would be equally bad to give up good assets for Shattenkirk and then let him walk.

I thought the Yandle trade was fantastic, and should've been organizational changing. Unfortunately, our FO tied themselves to Staal/Girardi/Boyle instead of Stralman/Yandle.

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida
Worst part of yandle trade is we gave up duclair and a 1st... One would be easier to stomach.. Imagine our forward group if we had duclair rn... Basically makes Nash or zucc expendable. Or we can just be a great forward heavy team like the Penguins

PerdFan

Oct 10, 2010
What about Dougherty? Would we be able to get a trade done with Nashville for a package including Dougherty?

Highly unlikely since Dougherty is by far the best D prospect for Nashville and is cost controlled for several years. With significant raises for Johansson and eventually Neal and a hunt for replacement 2nd and 3rd line C's when Fisher and Ribeiro hang it up(probably after this year), I highly doubt Poile parts with Dougherty for an expensive Nash when we have Fiala, Trenin and Kamenev waiting in the wings.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Still need to do something with the defense

Yea but honestly what ? McD and SKjei are the keepers.

Girardi is I tradeable . Staal maybe but you have to eat cap space

Klein is a good value but he's also important

Mcilrath and Holden are just depth guys.

Would love a trouba but it would cost a lot and I don't want to touch the F group or G as it seems to be in good shape

Just gotta hope staal and girardi don't completely suck and Skjei rocks

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Highly unlikely since Dougherty is by far the best D prospect for Nashville and is cost controlled for several years. With significant raises for Johansson and eventually Neal and a hunt for replacement 2nd and 3rd line C's when Fisher and Ribeiro hang it up(probably after this year), I highly doubt Poile parts with Dougherty for an expensive Nash when we have Fiala, Trenin and Kamenev waiting in the wings.

Legit. I'm not 100% familiar with the entire pool NSH has.

If we were to offer Nash at 50% retained, what would NSH be interested in giving back? I honestly think that if Rangers aren't in a playoff position by the TDL, and Gorton wants to sell, NSH could be a good partner. Nash would fit a need that the Preds have, and he could be a legit piece for a contender.

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
I know Inferno usually does it but does anyone wanna do the power rankings thread for the East where we vote on each spot? Curious to see where everyone thinks the Rangers rank this year.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
The Rangers don't want to ****ing pay Shattenkirk.

How many times the Rangers used Brooks as negotiation tool (don't know how else to put it). If you take money out of equation - would they want him or his type and level of defenseman for the next 5-6 years? If so, then it's matter of negotiating terms. I can see the Rangers not wanting to give no trade or no move clauses or pay $7m but this is not what these reports were saying.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Mike Harrington, the Buffalo News Sabres beat writer is having a field day on Twitter smashing the Rangers and this whole Vesey process. It's really funny. Tweeted at him, but forgot I represent more than my own interest on Twitter these days, and had to delete :(

Anyway, if you need a laugh on a Sunday, it's there :)

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Mike Harrington, the Buffalo News Sabres beat writer is having a field day on Twitter smashing the Rangers and this whole Vesey process. It's really funny. Tweeted at him, but forgot I represent more than my own interest on Twitter these days, and had to delete :(

Anyway, if you need a laugh on a Sunday, it's there :)

Fortunate for you :P

I now have to work a little harder to see his garbage (aka open up his TL in a private browser)

It is very amusing and he is verrrrrrrrrrrry much on the homer train today. Even without him being a homer, his article was not well written at all.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
I know Inferno usually does it but does anyone wanna do the power rankings thread for the East where we vote on each spot? Curious to see where everyone thinks the Rangers rank this year.

My early rankings for the East:

1. Washington
2. Pittsburgh
3. Florida
4. Tampa Bay
5. Islanders
6. Rangers
7. Philly
8. Devils
9. Montreal
10. Boston
11. Buffalo
12. Detroit
13. Toronto
14. Carolina
15. Ottawa
16. Columbus

Rangers are the first wildcard. Washington, Pittsburgh, Islanders, Philly make the playoffs again out of the East. Devils just miss. Tampa, Florida, and Montreal make it out of the Atlantic. Buffalo and Boston just miss.

Washington over Philly once again
Pittsburgh over Islanders
Florida over Rangers
Tampa over Montreal

Washington over Pittsburgh
Florida over Tampa

Washington over Florida

Washington finally gets their Cup, beating Dallas in the Finals.

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY

1. Washington
2. Pittsburgh
3. Florida
4. Tampa Bay
5. Islanders
6. Rangers
7. Philly
8. Devils
9. Montreal
10. Boston
11. Buffalo
12. Detroit
13. Toronto
14. Carolina
15. Ottawa
16. Columbus

Rangers are the first wildcard. Washington, Pittsburgh, Islanders, Philly make the playoffs again out of the East. Devils just miss. Tampa, Florida, and Montreal make it out of the Atlantic. Buffalo and Boston just miss.

Florida over Rangers
Tampa over Montreal

Florida over Tampa

Washington over Florida

My East looks about the same. I think Carolina could be a sneaky little team though ultimately they won't make it but I think they'd be higher on my list. I think in your rankings though it should be Tampa facing the Rangers and Florida facing Montreal just as an FYI unless you have your standings differing from your rankings.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Not much that can be done other than taking a time machine back and not giving Staal and Girardi their deals.

The most important thing NYR can do now with the defense is good coaching.

AV needs to be willing to play whomever is doing best, be it Holden, Clendening, Graves, Girardi, Paliotta, McIlrath ect.

Girardi can and should be the #7 or #8 dman like Boyle was for stretches last year if his play deserves it and others have stepped up.

I think Marc Staal does have the ability to have a Renaissance for NYR if his minutes are limited.

LeetchisGod

This is a bad hockey team.
May 21, 2009
Washington, DC

1. Washington
2. Pittsburgh
3. Florida
4. Tampa Bay
5. Islanders
6. Rangers
7. Philly
8. Devils
9. Montreal
10. Boston
11. Buffalo
12. Detroit
13. Toronto
14. Carolina
15. Ottawa
16. Columbus

Florida over Rangers
Tampa over Montreal

Florida over Tampa

Washington over Florida

The Islanders are not better than us. Okposo, Nielsen and Martin are big losses for that team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad