Speculation: Offseason Talk V

Status
Not open for further replies.

hockfan1991

Jun 29, 2010
And the guy we should've taken in Kopitar. lol

No way seto was miles ahead of kopitar as Burke promised us. Wish someone could find the quote?where Burke said something about kopitar just being a big Slovenian kid. Burke has drafted slightly better then average.but reasons why I'm not totally sold on building through the draft.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
No way seto was miles ahead of kopitar as Burke promised us. Wish someone could find the quote?where Burke said something about kopitar just being a big Slovenian kid. Burke has drafted slightly better then average.but reasons why I'm not totally sold on building through the draft.

The quote was that there was a lot of hype surrounding Kopitar that the Sharks did not buy into.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Kopitar gets so much attention specifically because of Burke's comments. Is it really any worse a miss than Subban, or Parise, or Getzlaf, or Perry (realize the bulk of those came in one draft)

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Kopitar gets so much attention specifically because of Burke's comments. Is it really any worse a miss than Subban, or Parise, or Getzlaf, or Perry (realize the bulk of those came in one draft)

I wouldn't say it's any worse but missing on both of those is not exactly a good thing either.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
I wouldn't say it's any worse but missing on both of those is not exactly a good thing either.

Of course. Their record with turning later picks into decent, even very good, NHL players is nothing to scoff at...it is probably one of the best of the league.

But there is something missing in terms of drafting that super-high end talent. Obviously, the majority of those picks are made in the top-5/10. But it occasionally happens between picks 10 and 60 as well. While there are instances of it happening in later rounds..it is exceptionally rare...and many of those are from a different era (Lidstrom, Datsyuk, Chara, etc.).

So the Sharks need to be finding those players with their 1st and 2nd-round picks. I'm not going to be like some and demand perfection-in-hindsight. But at least one Subban, one Giroux, one.

Now, IMO, sufficient evidence is pointing to a developmental issue in terms of the defense. That is a hole that needs to be plugged. At this point, you have Fahey, Carle, Vlasic, Doherty, Ehrhoff, and Demers as players who haven't reached their potential.

Kitten Mittons

Nov 18, 2007
Vlasic played in the QMJHL - even a monkey can put up good offensive numbers in that league. His offensive potential was always overrated. Vasic turned out as good as he could've and probably even better than most expected.

Can't complain about Ehrhoff either. He should've never been traded.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
I disagree wholeheartedly that Vlasic and Ehrhoff haven't reached their potential.

When you are cerebral as Vlasic is, and have his level of hockey sense, you have to think he'd be good offensively.

Ehrhoff...well, there were all those flashes. He never quite put it together. I will agree he came/comes very close...and after he left SJ.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Sounds like he wants a lot of money too. $5.5m-ish. He's probably worth it but I don't think I'm willing to sign that contract when there are more dire needs atm.

TealManV

A man has said
Oct 12, 2011
California
Is Hemsky a North-South or East-West player? Does he still have any speed left in his legs? Would he be worth $5.5 mil a season (reported what he's seeking)? Or is he another Havlat?

Gilligans Island

Jul 2, 2006
SF/Bay Area
Is Hemsky a North-South or East-West player? Does he still have any speed left in his legs? Would he be worth $5.5 mil a season (reported what he's seeking)? Or is he another Havlat?

For what it's worth, he was almost a PPG player with the Senators and their fans want to re-sign him.

He would only make sense if DW made some big moves and we needed a 2nd line winger who's a playmaker

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area

Hemsky is the player I wish Havlat was. Great speed, great hands, controlled zone entry machine, great playmaker, solid defensively. But I think the Havlat experiment will have turned off Doug, as well as his age.

TealManV

A man has said
Oct 12, 2011
California
Hemsky is the player I wish Havlat was. Great speed, great hands, controlled zone entry machine, great playmaker, solid defensively. But I think the Havlat experiment will have turned off Doug, as well as his age.

Thanks for the report, Jux! It sounds like he would be a solid addition to the top 6. Unfortunately, I agree with you about Havlat turning DW off a player of Hemsky's ilk. Also, it would depend on how extreme/drastic DW goes this offseason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad