Rumor: Offseason Rumors Thread #1 | Trade Milan, Milan So Far Away?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Are we really sure about this? Things like Benson over Debrincat make me wonder.
:facepalm: of FFS. Good point, I mean that would be a true tipping point for a franchise.

I mean look at the Sabres still lamenting Devante Stephens over Ethan Bear. If only we could look back and change things with the knowledge from the future, like with some future knowledge sight.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
Are we really sure about this? Things like Benson over Debrincat make me wonder.

The risk wasn't that bad. Remember, 2 years before he got drafted, Benson was supposed to be a Franchise player. He broke records in AAA Bantam with his one season of 146 points in 33 games. But then the injuries hit (fluke ones I might add) and his stock dropped a bit. So quite frankly Benson over Debrincat isn't that big of a reach.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
:facepalm: of FFS. Good point, I mean that would be a true tipping point for a franchise.
Gets back to the question of developing from within and player development. Puljujarvi and Yamamoto develop then the problems on the wing aren't that serious, especially if Lucic can recover.

Never miss a chance to be a pedantic bore, eh Jimbo?

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
The risk wasn't that bad. Remember, 2 years before he got drafted, Benson was supposed to be a Franchise player. He broke records in AAA Bantam with his one season of 146 points in 33 games. But then the injuries hit (fluke ones I might add) and his stock dropped a bit. So quite frankly Benson over Debrincat isn't that big of a reach.

Let's also not forget that the league was a bit bigger back then and that since then it has become more of a speed/skilled game. It was like us drafting Cogliano and Chorney expecting a speed game and then the game got "big" again. Debrincat is damn good but Benson's career is far from over at this point so writing him off is premature at best.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
As it stands today teams there is only about 6 or 7 better players than him, so us potentially making a botch at 32 doesn't look that bad. At least with Benson he has high end potential. Not like Musil who was a guy you sign on July 1st for 800k

Reactions: Aerrol

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Give me size with skill over small skill all day long unless that small skill is elite ie. Kane, Gaudreau, etc. Come playoff time the refs still swallow their whistles.

Reactions: BudBundy

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
As it stands today teams there is only about 6 or 7 better players than him, so us potentially making a botch at 32 doesn't look that bad. At least with Benson he has high end potential. Not like Musil who was a guy you sign on July 1st for 800k

I'm sure Fury will speak for himself, but I think his point isn't necessarily that Chia is definitely a drafting failure so much as it's too early to say that Chia has shown that he's a strong drafter. There are potential mistakes (Benson) and potential wins (Bear), but it's honestly too early to say. Benson could explode into a top 6 player still, and Bear might end up being a bust.

Reactions: RebuildTheRebuild

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006

Benson was 55th in the ISS rankings. Debrincat was 26th. I think taking a guy who drops to you from the middle first round is a smarter move than taking the guy who is right where he's supposed to be.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
I'm sure Fury will speak for himself, but I think his point isn't necessarily that Chia is definitely a drafting failure so much as it's too early to say that Chia has shown that he's a strong drafter. There are potential mistakes (Benson) and potential wins (Bear), but it's honestly too early to say. Benson could explode into a top 6 player still, and Bear might end up being a bust.

Exactly. I just don't get why people think Player X is better than Player Y but don't bother to research their past and see what was speculated on them at that point in time.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006

Everything I've seen from Benson lately has him as a third liner at the NHL level.

Hell, he had a mostly healthy season this year and put up just 69 points in 58 games as a 20 year old.

But yeah, the point is, it's way to soon to tell if we've made any strides forward in drafting and development under Chia.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Benson was 55th in the ISS rankings. Debrincat was 26th. I think taking a guy who drops to you from the middle first round is a smarter move than taking the guy who is right where he's supposed to be.

I tend to agree with you, but Paralyzer is right that Benson had a fine pedigree that got tainted by a pretty bad/injury riddled draft season. I was pretty happy with the Benson pick at the time too, and I'm generally a huge critic of Oilers drafting. Especially when it's drafting size over skill. Benson had all the tools to be a top line forward at the time of the draft IMO. I was shocked he dropped so low.

That said, I was also shocked that Kylington dropped so low and he sure hasn't amounted to much so far...

Reactions: LaGu

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
When healthy, this team does have a decent number of dependable defenceman in Larsson, Nurse, Sekera, Klefbom, and Russell; thus I wonder if they could get away with targetting a lesser defenceman vs. going for the big option in Faulk or Green.

For example I'd be curious to try and nab Wideman or Ceci out of Ottawa. Neither are world beaters, but either would cover the team's biggest need on defence.

Nurse-Larsson
Sekera-Klefbom
Russell-Wideman/Ceci
Benning

Yanick Weber is another name you could toss here. From the UFA market, Cody Franson still makes sense as an Auvitu replacement, especially if you're just searching for a body to push Benning or Bear for the spot.

The Oilers really need to go big game hunting to pair up with Larsson. None of these low IQ offensive tweeners wot play with him. Give him a legit top pairing guy to play with. Overrating defenseman that are 2nd or 3rd pairing guys is a big problem in this organization.

Reactions: LaGu

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
I don't know why you're beating this drum, I'm aware Benson had a high pedigree, but he was a high risk pick at the time because of his injury and, again, didn't show much in his 20 year old season to make me think he's going to be an impact player.

Because you are arguing that it's a reach for him over Debrincat. I'm saying it isn't. And it's still way too soon to close the book on this.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Because you are arguing that it's a reach for him over Debrincat. I'm saying it isn't. And it's still way too soon to close the book on this.

Sure, but Benson is miles behind at this point and his top end is just not close.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Everything I've seen from Benson lately has him as a third liner at the NHL level.

Hell, he had a mostly healthy season this year and put up just 69 points in 58 games as a 20 year old.

But yeah, the point is, it's way to soon to tell if we've made any strides forward in drafting and development under Chia.

Benson was 19 and he played last year coming off a two surgeries and really not off season training for two years.

Listening to games on the radio is not a great way to assess a kid's play but in the case of Benson it was clear that he was the Giants best player (despite Ronning's numbers). If he can improve his skating he has the skill to be a top 6 wing for sure.

Personably I'd of been happy with either DeBrincat or Benson. I watched a lot of DeBrincat in Erie and I was fairly confident he could make the jump. But his size and the fact that he played on teams that were offensive machines hurt him for sure.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
A few controversial 'would you' questions.

Would you:

Trade Drai for Subban then sign Tavares to big money?

Trade Sekera + 10th for Hamilton + Frolik?

Trade Nurse for Hanifin?

Offer a contract to Voynov?

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
A few controversial 'would you' questions.

Would you:

Trade Drai for Subban then sign Tavares to big money?

Trade Sekera + 10th for Hamilton + Frolik?

Trade Nurse for Hanifin?

Offer a contract to Voynov?
Don't like the first one, but if the money is LD money then yes I'd probably have to.

Yes to #2

No to #3

Yes to #4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad