Rumor: Offseason Rumors Thread #1 | Trade Milan, Milan So Far Away?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
My guesses (keeping in mind Chia's trade history):

10th + JP + Bear for Ristolainen

Lucic + Benson + 2nd for Krejci

Rattie - McD - RNH
Maroon - Drai - Krejci
Caggiula - Strome - X
X - Khaira - X

Klefbom - Larsson
Nurse - Ristolainen
Sekera - Russell
Persson

Last edited:

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Swapping out a 24 year old cost controlled D man at his lowest value for a 28 year old UFA coming off a career year isn't great asset management in my books.
I guess, if you assume a straight swap, possibly I could agree, but it's not. The cost control Defenseman also isn't on the same level as the 28 year old UFA (career year or not), and the 24 year old has a history of injury issues.

EDMOILERS9729

Dec 25, 2017
My guesses (keeping in mind Chia's trade history):

10th + JP + Bear for Ristolainen

Lucic + Benson + 2nd for Krejci
Im fine with the first one. Overpay, bit fills a huge need with a young cost controlled solution. The second ones terrible though.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
You 'believe' in it of course, but you can't possibly be advocating for that alone as a strategy for this team. Chiarelli needs to make some smart trades or astute (hell I'd even settle for lucky) signings to speed up the process. Its his job ffs.

I don't agree that they need to speed up the process at all. The reason we're in the situation we're in is a decade plus long failure to draft and develop players. They need to commit to that course of action and accept there might be some bumps along the way instead of trying to find shortcuts. They already tried that and it didn't work.

Reactions: onetweasy

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
I guess, if you assume a straight swap, possibly I could agree, but it's not. The cost control Defenseman also isn't on the same level as the 28 year old UFA (career year or not), and the 24 year old has a history of injury issues.

I'm not sure we know that to be true. Klefbom hasn't a track record but last year he put up numbers on par with Carlson's career norms.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
You 'believe' in it of course, but you can't possibly be advocating for that alone as a strategy for this team. Chiarelli needs to make some smart trades or astute (hell I'd even settle for lucky) signings to speed up the process. Its his job ffs.
this team needs some tweaks in the top 6 (a winger for Drai) and a depth center (Derek Ryan) because I think this team is a playoff team with subtle changes and better health to start the season (Larsson, Klef and Sekera should all be 100% healthy)

I think the last thing this club needs to do is go for the "big swing" in trades and free agency

stay the course, add prospect depth (I've liked their drafting since 2015)

I don't see management doing this though...time will tell

Reactions: onetweasy

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I'm not sure we know that to be true. Klefbom hasn't a track record but last year he put up numbers on par with Carlson's career norms.
Sure, but the career numbers are not the same as overall level of play. Example would be Ryan Suter, Klefbom's numbers last year are just slightly below Suter's career averages, but he's not even close to the same level of player.

Again, I like Klefbom, but I totally understand why the team might be looking to get value out of him as an asset and getting a higher end defenseman.

ToeMcDrag83

5-14-6-1
Aug 25, 2010
Oil Country
As far as Rishaug's big game hunting tweet, any other names come to mind besides Karlsson, Carlson, OEL?
Everything else is pretty medium game and below thereafter I'd imagine?

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
this team needs some tweaks in the top 6 (a winger for Drai) and a depth center (Derek Ryan) because I think this team is a playoff team with subtle changes and better health to start the season (Larsson, Klef and Sekera should all be 100% healthy)

I think the last thing this club needs to do is go for the "big swing" in trades and free agency

stay the course, add prospect depth (I've liked their drafting since 2015)

Sign Vanek/Grabner and Brodziak/Ryan/Komarov. Sign Franson for the PP RHD spot. Use the #10 pick. Let it ride.

I don't see management doing this though...time will tell

This is the issue. We as fans can afford to look two, three years ahead. A Gm on the hot seat can't.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Sure, but the career numbers are not the same as overall level of play. Example would be Ryan Suter, Klefbom's numbers last year are just slightly below Suter's career averages, but he's not even close to the same level of player.

Last season and before he got injured in 15-16, Klefbom looked like a genuine #1D man. He had stretches in the last half of the year this season here he was the Oiler best D. IMO, there's a ton of untapped potential there and the only question is his ability to stay healthy.

Again, I like Klefbom, but I totally understand why the team might be looking to get value out of him as an asset and getting a higher end defenseman.

Sure, so do I. But If you're going all in on a big UFA D who is going to gobble up a huge chunk of your already small cap space, you're committing to a "win now" approach and I just don't think this team has the depth.

North

Jun 25, 2009
I think we're going to hear rumours about Karlsson right up until he gets moved somewhere else. Chiarelli knows he missed a huge opportunity on Subban (and to a lesser extent Hamilton), and then by some miracle another top ten defenceman becomes available a couple years later. He's going to be aggressive on that. Fingers crossed he finally wins a trade.

Edit: I think the fact that Edmonton hasn't had a legit no doubt top 10 defenceman in the league for over a decade (and if you take out the one year with Pronger it's been like 30 years) is extra motivation. Can probably save his reputation in Edmonton if he manages to bring one in.

Missing out on Subban isn't quite accurate. They passed on the price tag in terms of assets.

Montreal wanted Drai, Klefbom, 2016 first, and another asset. Oilers passed.

Then Montreal dealt him for Weber. Bergevin messed that one up big time.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
As far as Rishaug's big game hunting tweet, any other names come to mind besides Karlsson, Carlson, OEL?
Everything else is pretty medium game and below thereafter I'd imagine?

I think Rishaugh mentioned Klefbom + 10 for Risto which seems...pointless.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Missing out on Subban isn't quite accurate. They passed on the price tag in terms of assets.

It was Nurse, not Klef.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton

I'm not sure the team is in worse shape if they make that deal. That's what I mean. Hall's probably still here, and they have Subban playing 25+ minutes a night putting up 50-60 points a year. It would be awful to not have Draisaitl, but in the long run I'm not sure the team is worse if you take him and Klefbom/Nurse out of the lineup and put in Subban.

Cypress

Mar 4, 2018
I'd like to see the team focus on a long term plan this off season over making panic moves to immediately get back in the playoffs.

Trade options should be considered but not forced. We don't have a lot of assets to give up without just moving the holes in the lineup around, and need to be adding to our prospect pool, not trading it away. Only make a trade that will result in the long term betterment of the team.

With no trades I would:

Keep the 10th OA and select a defenseman that will hopefully be breaking into the lineup around the time Sekera and Russell are coming off the books. Sign a legit top 6 wing for 3-5M. Sign a bottom 6 forward who ideally is a strong PK option. Bring back benning and nurse, bring back cagguila to play 4lw and cammy as a depth FWD. Qualify strome. Focus on building up assets and developing prospects.

That being said, finding the right trade could really help. I just don't want to see the future mortgaged for short term gain. We will likely be in better shape to make a big push in a couple years when some players have developed and we have more assets to work with.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I don't agree that they need to speed up the process at all. The reason we're in the situation we're in is a decade plus long failure to draft and develop players. They need to commit to that course of action and accept there might be some bumps along the way instead of trying to find shortcuts. They already tried that and it didn't work.

Chia doesn't have the time to commit to a long term plan, he needs to improve the team now or he's out on his keister. He can't afford to have any more bumps along the way.

McVirginOil

Jun 30, 2014
Like I guessed above, I think it'll be JP + 10 + Bear for Risto.
That’s a great way of setting the franchise back for a good 3 years but Chia’s probably going to do it as a last ditch effort to protect his job.

onetweasy

"That's just like, your opinion, man"
Oct 16, 2005
Bowling Alley
Rishaug on 1260:

"I think the Oilers are going to be big game hunting for their blueline. I think they are going to be looking at big names and weighing out those options...I think they are going to be very aggressive....The Oilers have obviously identified that as a massive need."

Bye bye Oscar!

This will not end well.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Forget about the "value" arguments fans have. If the Canes trade Skinner, I'd love to see him in Edm. I bet he'd score 40 goals playing with either Drai or McDavid. He scored 37 in 16/17 playing with Victor Rask and Derek Ryan as his centers. He'd do well with a guy like Crosby also, but the last thing I want is Skinner in our own division.

Reactions: Seachd

onetweasy

"That's just like, your opinion, man"
Oct 16, 2005
Bowling Alley
I'd like to see the team focus on a long term plan this off season over making panic moves to immediately get back in the playoffs.

Trade options should be considered but not forced. We don't have a lot of assets to give up without just moving the holes in the lineup around, and need to be adding to our prospect pool, not trading it away. Only make a trade that will result in the long term betterment of the team.

With no trades I would:

Keep the 10th OA and select a defenseman that will hopefully be breaking into the lineup around the time Sekera and Russell are coming off the books. Sign a legit top 6 wing for 3-5M. Sign a bottom 6 forward who ideally is a strong PK option. Bring back benning and nurse, bring back cagguila to play 4lw and cammy as a depth FWD. Qualify strome. Focus on building up assets and developing prospects.

That being said, finding the right trade could really help. I just don't want to see the future mortgaged for short term gain. We will likely be in better shape to make a big push in a couple years when some players have developed and we have more assets to work with.

Long term plan....are you crazy?

This is the Oilers....where we see a trend and then react 2 years too late.

League getting bigger, we get smaller and more skilled. League getting faster, we shed the speed and skill and add "truculence".

Reactions: rambo97
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad