Rumor: Offseason Rumors Thread #1 | Trade Milan, Milan So Far Away?

Status
Not open for further replies.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Skinner is undoubtedly a more rounded player and more toolsy player than Eberle. But he's the same kind of player, which is why I wouldn't count on us being in on him. He's a $6m secondary winger. We don't have the money for them.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
How is Skinner more well rounded than Eberle? They're both soft, inconsistent, and one-dimensional.

He is definitely a better goal scorer, though.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Had a couple of seasons where he scored over thirty flying under the radar on a crappy, low budget, nobody cares team in Carolina. Big deal. Not a chance he's more 'dynamic' than Eberle. If he were in Edmonton he'd wilt under the pressure, and you'd be one of the first calling for his head.

I've watched Skinner since he was in juniors. He has flaws but he is more dynamic offensively than Eberle. His skating is a big advantage. He's not blazing fast but he is extremely agile and very strong n his feet. He's definitely a better natural goal scorer than Eberle. (The guy scored 70 goals in 84 games in his draft year and 31 as a rookie!) He's also more gritty than Eberle but neither player is going to intimidate anyone. Eberle is a better passer. Neither player is great defensively.

Skinner would potentially be a very good LW for Leon. I think he would complement Leon's game quite well. Skinner's problem though is that he can't stay healthy so I suspect his value is a fair bit less than it should be.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
How is Skinner more well rounded than Eberle? They're both soft, inconsistent, and one-dimensional.

He is definitely a better goal scorer, though.
Skinner is small, he's not soft.

Edit: His compete (Battle) level is higher the Eberle, so if a well rounded game is a partly 'effort', he's more well rounded then Eberle.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Rishaug on 1260:

"I think the Oilers are going to be big game hunting for their blueline. I think they are going to be looking at big names and weighing out those options...I think they are going to be very aggressive....The Oilers have obviously identified that as a massive need."

Bye bye Oscar!

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Rishaug on 1260:

"I think the Oilers are going to be big game hunting for their blueline. I think they are going to be looking at big names and weighing out those options...I think they are going to be very aggressive....The Oilers have obviously identified that as a massive need."

Bye bye Oscar!

It’s to bad we don’t have an elite LW like Hall that we could trade for a big name defenceman...

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
I think we're going to hear rumours about Karlsson right up until he gets moved somewhere else. Chiarelli knows he missed a huge opportunity on Subban (and to a lesser extent Hamilton), and then by some miracle another top ten defenceman becomes available a couple years later. He's going to be aggressive on that. Fingers crossed he finally wins a trade.

Edit: I think the fact that Edmonton hasn't had a legit no doubt top 10 defenceman in the league for over a decade (and if you take out the one year with Pronger it's been like 30 years) is extra motivation. Can probably save his reputation in Edmonton if he manages to bring one in.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Rishaug on 1260:

Bye bye Oscar!

This is what you want, no? For them to go all in for a big name Dman?

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
Rishaug on 1260:

Bye bye Oscar!

In fairness, if he's gonna do it this would be the one trade where it's arguably acceptable.

Peter and I seem to have conflicting views on what makes a big game D, though.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Rishaug on 1260:

Bye bye Oscar!
I guess, I mean if you fill Klefbom, but can get a Carlson, that would be fine (I'm not saying 1 for 1)

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
I think we're going to hear rumours about Karlsson right up until he gets moved somewhere else. Chiarelli knows he missed a huge opportunity on Subban (and to a lesser extent Hamilton), and then by some miracle another top ten defenceman becomes available a couple years later. He's going to be aggressive on that. Fingers crossed he finally wins a trade.

LMAO. That'll be the day.

This is what you want, no? For them to go all in for a big name Dman?

No?

In fairness, if he's gonna do it this would be the one trade where it's arguably acceptable.

Peter and I seem to have conflicting views on what makes a big game D, though.

I think the chances of the Oilers winning a deal where Klefbom goes out the door are pretty slim.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
I guess, I mean if you fill Klefbom, but can get a Carlson, that would be fine (I'm not saying 1 for 1)

Swapping out a 24 year old cost controlled D man at his lowest value for a 28 year old UFA coming off a career year isn't great asset management in my books.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
His skating is a big advantage. He's not blazing fast but he is extremely agile and very strong n his feet.
I can readily concede that Eberle isn't a great skater. Totally lacks top end speed. For his size though he is pretty strong on his skates too. I agree that Skinner probably has the edge in skating.
He's definitely a better natural goal scorer than Eberle. (The guy scored 70 goals in 84 games in his draft year and 31 as a rookie!)
I would agree with the bold. But lets not make out like its a yawning chasm between them. If we want to go back to draft years, Eberle scored 50 in 57, so there's that. And they've both led their teams in goal scoring in the NHL at various points in their careers. Most pertinently, in spite of that 31 goal rookie campaign, Skinner still has a career high of 63 points. Eberle has beat or tied that mark three times.
He's also more gritty than Eberle but neither player is going to intimidate anyone. Eberle is a better passer. Neither player is great defensively.
More gritty? Meh, never saw Skinner as a physical player at all, but I agree that grit isn't Eberle's game. Its refreshing to see someone not resort to exaggeration about Eberle's defensive game, and acknowledge that he is a superior passer.
Skinner's problem though is that he can't stay healthy so I suspect his value is a fair bit less than it should be.
This is a big problem. Eberle has been very healthy by comparison. It matters a lot when a player is sucking up that sort of cap hit.

Posters like @nabob have made a big deal about how Eberle cracked under the pressure in Edmonton. I wonder how you think a guy like Skinner would fare in Edmonton. I think it bears consideration that he has known nothing but playing for one of the most bland, forgettable franchises in the league. Never faced a day in the real NHL spotlight yet, or played even one NHL playoff game for that matter. Certainly hasn't been surrounded by a lot of winning. Wonder if he's picked up any bad habits playing in that environment? For example, I wonder how this board would have liked Skinner several seasons ago when he put up 18-13-31 in 77 games and went a -24. Eberle has never had a season anywhere near that poor. That's worse than the year Lucic just put up for some perspective. And that's not a one off for Skinner who has several nasty minus seasons to his credit.

I understand and appreciate that you've generally put out balanced posts on Eberle but it gets a bit hard to read in silence when the very same posters who shouted for Eberle to get off the team are now recommending Skinner. Talk about a total credibility collapse.

Reactions: Aerrol

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
I seem to recall you posting Draisaitl+ for Karlsson proposals and OEL proposals. I even remember asking you why you were posting those proposals when you previously wanted them to go the slow and steady route.

I was talking about whether those could actually work for the Oilers, not advocating for them.

I still believe in building through the draft/development route.

ToeMcDrag83

5-14-6-1
Aug 25, 2010
Oil Country
They've identified a top pairing defenseman as a need just now?

200w.webp

Reactions: Ararana

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I can readily concede that Eberle isn't a great skater. Totally lacks top end speed. For his size though he is pretty strong on his skates too. I agree that Skinner probably has the edge in skating.
I would agree with the bold. But lets not make out like its a yawning chasm between them. If we want to go back to draft years, Eberle scored 50 in 57, so there's that. And they've both led their teams in goal scoring in the NHL at various points in their careers. Most pertinently, in spite of that 31 goal rookie campaign, Skinner still has a career high of 63 points. Eberle has beat or tied that mark three times.
More gritty? Meh, never saw Skinner as a physical player at all, but I agree that grit isn't Eberle's game. Its refreshing to see someone not resort to exaggeration about Eberle's defensive game, and acknowledge that he is a superior passer.
This is a big problem. Eberle has been very healthy by comparison. It matters a lot when a player is sucking up that sort of cap hit.

Posters like @nabob have made a big deal about how Eberle cracked under the pressure in Edmonton. I wonder how you think a guy like Skinner would fare in Edmonton. I think it bears consideration that he has known nothing but playing for one of the most bland, forgettable franchises in the league. Never faced a day in the real NHL spotlight yet, or played even one NHL playoff game for that matter. Certainly hasn't been surrounded by a lot of winning. Wonder if he's picked up any bad habits playing in that environment? For example, I wonder how this board would have liked Skinner several seasons ago when he put up 18-13-31 in 77 games and went a -24. Eberle has never had a season anywhere near that poor. That's worse than the year Lucic just put up for some perspective. And that's not a one off for Skinner who has several nasty minus seasons to his credit.

I understand and appreciate that you've generally put out balanced posts on Eberle but it gets a bit hard to read in silence when the very same posters who shouted for Eberle to get off the team are now recommending Skinner. Talk about a total credibility collapse.

Yet you still line for Eberle while scoffing at the idea of adding a more dynamic player in Skinner. That's a total credibility collapse. If you want to rag on him for having a down year when coming back from major injuries or concentrate solely on +/- on a bad club then it only makes you look worse.

EDMOILERS9729

Dec 25, 2017
Rishaug on 1260:

Bye bye Oscar!
This screams Klefbom + for OEL to me. Or making a big push for Karlsson. Maybe trying to trade away the three bad contracts and get Carlson?

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada

The good news is Eberle is not on the team. So let's compare Skinner to Lucic, RNH, and Khaira/Benson/dunno

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
You 'believe' in it of course, but you can't possibly be advocating for that alone as a strategy for this team. Chiarelli needs to make some smart trades or astute (hell I'd even settle for lucky) signings to speed up the process. Its his job ffs.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I was talking about whether those could actually work for the Oilers, not advocating for them.

Fair enough and I agree with you on the drafting and developing with tweaks elsewhere but Chia doesn't. His job is on the line and his moves will reflect that desperation IMO. Just have to prepare for the upcoming storm, lets just hope it's not a shitstorm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad