Speculation: Offseason Roster Building Thread - Trades, Signings, Rumors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
Yeah, I wasn't disagreeing with one of them getting 3rd line minutes (if they make it), only your post having both of them on the 4th line.

My my understanding is Gauthier is eligible for AHL next year? (maybe I'm wrong?), so does 9 games doesn't really matter? Doesn't his contract start if he goes to the AHL regardless of number of games? Maybe not, as I'm not sure how all that works.

Anyhow, if they show they deserve to be in the NHL in a top 9 role, that's fine, otherwise, get them meaningful minutes in the AHL to continue their development. Rushing them, having them in and out of the line-up, or getting low minutes on the 4th line isn't what I'd like to see.

If he goes to the AHL his ELC starts. I'd try to leave him for an overage year if he can't make the Canes to start. But that goes back to my feelings about rushing Lindy over, he was allowed a couple of season to build size he would be in a much better situation. (Could have developed as a center longer also).

Gauthier is NHL sized already, so for him, it's a matter of sense. 9 games should be long enough to tell if he's mentally ready.

FaulkYouAho

ferla memes
Sep 14, 2015
North Carolina
most people have all 3 of Flurey Roy and Gauthier as making the team next season. If we don't land Mac it would open up a spot for Roy hopefully they pick up either Tenneyson or Nesty go at the expansion draft (and trade one of our 2nds/3rds so they don't pick up Stepniak) and then have lines like this:

Aho - Staal - Linholm
X - Roy - Gauthier
Skinner - Rask - Stepniak
Mcginn - Mclement - (sign back) Stalberg

Slavin - Pesce
Hanifin - Faulk
Flurey - X

Ward
Lack

So how do you guys like this We can sign a top 6 d a 4th and a 2nd during the off season but i would like to trade for Reaves and Sutter. Reaves is the PERFECT 4th line grinder and Sutter is the PERFECT 3rd line checker for us. Plus i miss sutter. Yes if we do that we will have to take Roy out tho. i wouldn't mind that tho. put Roy in the AHL for one season let him adjust to the pro level. If we do that our line up would look like this:

Aho - Staal - Lindholm
Skinner - Rask - Stepniak
Mcginn - Sutter - Gauthier
Reaves - Mclement - Stalberg

Same

How does it look? What would we trade for them 2? Would you like a trade for them?

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
If he goes to the AHL his ELC starts. I'd try to leave him for an overage year if he can't make the Canes to start. But that goes back to my feelings about rushing Lindy over, he was allowed a couple of season to build size he would be in a much better situation. (Could have developed as a center longer also).

Gauthier is NHL sized already, so for him, it's a matter of sense. 9 games should be long enough to tell if he's mentally ready.

I think I'd rather have him in the AHL, under Canes coaching than as an overager in the CHL, even if it means his contract starts.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
most people have all 3 of Flurey Roy and Gauthier as making the team next season.

By most, you mean 1? (Roboturner clearly said his wasn't a realistic).\

I think most people don't realistically think all 3 of those guys are making the team next year. It's possible, but not likely.

FaulkYouAho

ferla memes
Sep 14, 2015
North Carolina
By most, you mean 1? (Roboturner clearly said his wasn't a realistic).\

I think most people don't realistically think all 3 of those guys are making the team next year. It's possible, but not likely.

no a lot of people do. If it wasn't for bean being 19 i would have him playing in the AHL this season playing first pairing minuites.

a lot of people on insta/twitter all think they have a shot of making the team. The one i have seen most unlikely to miss the team is Roy because of his skating issues (has to get up to speed). Other than that Gauthier has taken a more playmaker approach this season instead of forcing his way past those weak CHL defenders and we all know that doesn't work a lot on NHL players. Yes this is kinda unrealistic but it is realistic at the same time. we have one of the deepest prospect pools in the NHL and it is going to start drying up in the next 5-10 seasons while we make the playoffs. plus anything can happen. we all know that Flury is probably going to make the team.

FaulkYouAho

ferla memes
Sep 14, 2015
North Carolina
Reaves is terrible.

but its what we NEED. we NEED a grinder we NEED somebody to stick up for Skinner and Aho. Yes Aho can pull his own weight but still he gets hit extremely hard sometimes. we NEED that fighter that can be good in the locker room. am i right? After all Skinner is probably one concussion away from not even being able to play in the NHL anymore. and he is better than Mclement

Last edited:

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
no a lot of people do. If it wasn't for bean being 19 i would have him playing in the AHL this season playing first pairing minuites.

a lot of people on insta/twitter all think they have a shot of making the team. The one i have seen most unlikely to miss the team is Roy because of his skating issues (has to get up to speed). Other than that Gauthier has taken a more playmaker approach this season instead of forcing his way past those weak CHL defenders and we all know that doesn't work a lot on NHL players. Yes this is kinda unrealistic but it is realistic at the same time. we have one of the deepest prospect pools in the NHL and it is going to start drying up in the next 5-10 seasons while we make the playoffs. plus anything can happen. we all know that Flury is probably going to make the team.

No, most people don't have them making the team. "having a shot" and "making the team" are two different things. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Fleury make this team. I would be very surprised to see both of Roy and Gauthier make the team.

Dishface

Registered Jerk
Sep 27, 2013
Kenosha, WI
but its what we NEED. we NEED a grinder we NEED somebody to stick up for Skinner and Aho. Yes Aho can pull his own weight but still he gets hit extremely hard sometimes. we NEED that fighter that can be good in the locker room. am i right? After all Skinner is probably one concussion away from not even being able to play in the NHL anymore. and he is better than Mclement

[MOD]

Let's worry about finding a way to put pucks in the net and keep pucks out of them before we worry about signing body guards.

Last edited by a moderator:

FaulkYouAho

ferla memes
Sep 14, 2015
North Carolina
No, most people don't have them making the team. "having a shot" and "making the team" are two different things. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Fleury make this team. I would be very surprised to see both of Roy and Gauthier make the team.

gauthier and fleury i think and a lot of people i know all think all 3 are going to make the team but if one doesn't i think its going to be Roy and if he doesn't make it it would put a hole in our top 9 cause i HATE ryan and stepniak is prob gonna be gone unless we trade a 2nd/3rd to Vegas so they don't pick him up. That makes a even larger hole in our top 9 making our offense EVEN WORSE. If stepniak doesn't get picked up at the expansion draft i don't think Roy is going to make the team. i hope Dahlbeck/Tennyson get picked up (idc who but Murphy i HATE to say this but Murphy has improved and can prob be a serviceable 7th d with a tiny bit of potential left and can possibly get traded for a 4th and for Murphys rep that is GOOD)

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Ok, enough with the fairy tale stuff and a bunch of rookies making this team. This team is charmin soft and fixing that and the goaltending should be a priority and I think it can be done relatively cheaply.

Sign Ryan White, Brandon Bollig and Roman Polak as UFAs.
Trade Teravainen and a 2nd for Ryan Reaves.
Trade a 3rd round pick for Halak (50% retained).
Buy-out Lack
Lose Stempniak to the expansion

Skinner-White-Lindholm
Bollig-Staal-Aho
McGinn-Rask-PDG
Nordstrom-Reaves-Woods

Every forward line has grit and toughness. White to protect Skinner and Bollig to protect Aho. McGinn and PDG are little wrecking balls on that 3rd line and the 4th line would be beastly tough to play against.

Slavin-Pesce
Hanifin-Faulk
Fleury-Polak
Dahlbeck

Fleury, Polak and Dahlbeck can provide the crease clearing presence this team lacks and will stick up for their teammates.

Halak-Ward = Vastly improved.

That's how you do it and it allows our prospects (Wallmark, Gauthier, Roy, etc..) to develop properly. Win-Win

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
I kinda look at White, Staal, and Rask as a 2A, 2B, 2C. But if it works better, move him to wing and put Lindy at center. The most important thing is that we need Grit and protection for Skinner.

Confirmed BBA is ****ing with us... I hope.

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
You all have your expectations low if you are slotting in 3-4 rookies for next season. I truly hope that's not the case next season. I wanna see the Canes bring in a game changer in net and at the forward ranks, and if they fail to do that this offseason I'll be pretty disappointed.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
BBA is the best.

In any event, as derided as Polak is there are worse #6RD to hold Fleury's hand. And if you're going to ice the softest forward group in the league, having Reaves as the 13th forward isn't the end of the world. He's not Westgarth level terrible, he can play a bit.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Lose Stempniak to Vegas.
Trade Lack + whatever kicker for MAF
Sign Hanzal to fill one of the center spots
Sign Williams to replace Stempniak
Sign Wingles and Stalberg to round out the bottom 6
Sign Seidenberg to fill play with Fleury on the bottom pair

Aho - Staal - Lindholm
Skinner - Rask - Teravainen
McGinn - Hanzal - Williams
Nordstrom - Wingels - Stalberg
PDG

Slavin - Pesce
Hanifin - Faulk
Fleury - Seidenberg
Dahlbeck

Fleury
Ward

Goat, Roy, and Saarela all start the season in Charlotte unless they blow the doors off in camp.

Kaljis

Jul 3, 2013
Would u guys pull the trigger if Avs offer 1st OA to Hanifin?

I'm not too familiar with the top prospects Hischier and Patrick. All I've heard is that they are not Eichel Matthews caliber.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Just going to leave this right here. Ryan White vs. Skinner's two most common centers without him the last 2 seasons at 5v5. Imagine what White could do with Jeff Skinner.

Ryan White: 0.60 Goals/60 min; 1.12 Points/60 min
Victor Rask: 0.57 Goals/60 min; 1.21 Points/60 min
Derek Ryan: 0.42 Goals/60 min; 0.69 Points/60 min

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad